Keeping Bridgewater (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
It seems to me like the list of teams in market for a QB is shrinking. Tennessee has turned things around in a big way with Tannehill, Tampa seems likely to re-sign Winston, Denver may commit to Lock, Trubisky has crawled to the finish line with a coach and GM who are married to him to save face (passed on Mahomes). These are all teams that have been talked about as options for Teddy in free agency. So who’s left out there? Chargers? New England if Brady leaves/retires?

Carolina seems like the main competition here. Probably moving on from Cam, Allen isn’t cutting it, and it’s a division rival who would love to take a franchise in waiting from us with all that knowledge about our system. I could see them throwing some money his way

Then there are bottom feeders like Miami and Washington, but I think he wants to play for a team that can win. He passed on a starting job with Miami to be our backup

Teddy ain't going anywhere. Sean sees him as a starer in this league and Taysom as QB2 / ???.
I expect Saints to offer Teddy starter money and he stays.

As much as I don't want the Brees era to end, I think this night be the final chapter.
I don't really pray, but I pray that this year ends with a Super Bowl victory so we can have proper closure.

This really hurts to think about.

Teddy ain't going anywhere. Sean sees him as a starer in this league and Taysom as QB2 / ???.
I expect Saints to offer Teddy starter money and he stays.

As much as I don't want the Brees era to end, I think this night be the final chapter.
I don't really pray, but I pray that this year ends with a Super Bowl victory so we can have proper closure.

This really hurts to think about.

If the Saints pay Teddy and offer the starting job staying is automatic. He’s played well enough to make it a tough decision for the organization, given Brees age. I don’t think we can let him get away, just to have Brees play another year or two and retire. Teddy is too good to let that happen, and we would end up with neither down the road which would suck. Ideally we find a way to keep both, which is more possible now that other teams seem to be leaving the QB market. But we will have to pay Teddy and pay him very well, and even then it may not be enough if we try to keep him as a backup while other teams are offering their starting jobs.

Anybody knows how Tysom Hill fares into this, if Brees wants to stay?

Will Sean Payton pays TB to be a backup?....again, the WC in all of this is Tysom Hill....the more he's featured, the more he shines.....

True... the Saints aren’t going to be able to pay Teddy and Taysom.

Who do you let walk if Drew wants to play another season?

The Saints would absolutely be able to pay both TB5 and TH7. Exactly how much do you think we will pay Hill? IMO, 5-7 million per year is what he'll get. There's no way he gets more than that unless the team over pays. Love what he does and what he brings to the table. However, you don't pay a starting SP player, 3rd string QB, backup running back, back up TE more than that. If Brees comes back for one more year, Loomis will have to get creative with the cap situation but keeping TB5 and TH7 is easily doable. The wildcard will be Brees coming back.

Between Teddy and Taysom, I’m keeping Taysom. Easy decision. I wouldn’t give either of them starting QB money as long as Brees is still playing.

Between Teddy and Taysom, I’m keeping Taysom. Easy decision. I wouldn’t give either of them starting QB money as long as Brees is still playing.

Brady has played at a high level longer than any QB in NFL history...and he has started to drop off about a year older than Brees is currently. I love Brees but the Saints have proven capable of winning with a much younger option. You can’t let that younger option leave only to see Brees fall apart less than 2 years from now. If Brees does stay, the Saints absolutely have to invest highly in a rookie QB. You can’t have it both ways unless you want to see the Saints in the cellar a few years from now.

Brady has played at a high level longer than any QB in NFL history...and he has started to drop off about a year older than Brees is currently. I love Brees but the Saints have proven capable of winning with a much younger option. You can’t let that younger option leave only to see Brees fall apart less than 2 years from now. If Brees does stay, the Saints absolutely have to invest highly in a rookie QB. You can’t have it both ways unless you want to see the Saints in the cellar a few years from now.
I would definitely keep Taysom and let Teddy walk “only to see Brees fall apart less than two years from now.” Would still have Taysom to start whenever Brees is gone and if he blows his opportunity, we will have a high pick to draft a QB.

I would definitely keep Taysom and let Teddy walk “only to see Brees fall apart less than two years from now.” Would still have Taysom to start whenever Brees is gone and if he blows his opportunity, we will have a high pick to draft a QB.

I don't think that Taysom Hill is an NFL starting QB. He's perfect in his current role. Not to mention that this team is pretty talented right now. This team doesn't have to suck after Brees retires, it could continue to be in contention with Teddy. If you put Hill out there...the Saints will very likely be mediocre...good enough around Hill to win 6-8 games, but not good enough to be a real contender, and not bad enough to get a top pick. It will be a slow burn over the course of the following 3-4 years because of the talented we've accumulated around the QB position and it would be completely wasted.

People aren't going to like my opinion but I'm a sports analytics guy. Brees has already outlived his shelf-life by at least two years. There has only been two times in NFL history that a QB has played consistently well from age 38-40...and it's Brady and Brees. You just can't assume that Brees will continue to keep this team in contention indefinitely. I'm really happy that he has lasted as long as he has...but his time is coming...quickly. This team is really talented and it has the ability to be a contender without Brees. Harsh but the absolute truth.

I don't think that Taysom Hill is an NFL starting QB. He's perfect in his current role. Not to mention that this team is pretty talented right now. This team doesn't have to suck after Brees retires, it could continue to be in contention with Teddy. If you put Hill out there...the Saints will very likely be mediocre...good enough around Hill to win 6-8 games, but not good enough to be a real contender, and not bad enough to get a top pick. It will be a slow burn over the course of the following 3-4 years because of the talented we've accumulated around the QB position and it would be completely wasted.

People aren't going to like my opinion but I'm a sports analytics guy. Brees has already outlived his shelf-life by at least two years. There has only been two times in NFL history that a QB has played consistently well from age 38-40...and it's Brady and Brees. You just can't assume that Brees will continue to keep this team in contention indefinitely. I'm really happy that he has lasted as long as he has...but his time is coming...quickly. This team is really talented and it has the ability to be a contender without Brees. Harsh but the absolute truth.
no one knows that. we dont see him in practice taking reps..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom