Keeping with the throwback theme What about Jim Mora? (1 Viewer)

It was a shame Jim Finks died as Mora was never intended to be GM material. If he hadn't passed I am sure the Saints would have had much better success. More woulda, coulda, shoulda I guess... I still love our current team with Drew the best.

While we’re on the subject of wishes, I do wish Finks had been selected commissioner in 1990. Would’ve been better for the league overall. Unrestricted free agency might’ve been delayed a bit, as Finks was as old-school as they came. Things played out well enough for us in the end, though. Payton and Brees have provided a golden age of football that continues to today.

I'm not entirely sure if Hebert ignores Gov. Edwards attempts to lure him to New Orleans as a FA after the USFL collapsed, he sets the world on fire in Seattle with the Seahawks. Seattle's offense then was "Ground Chux", a run-heavy, defensive-dominant, style of play that wasn't too entirely different from very conservative, inefficient Carl Smith offense. Except in Knoxs offense, maybe it worked better because they had a great RB in Curt Warner, a legendary future HOF WR in Steve Largent, and a solid defense as well.

Plus, didn't the Seahawks already have a pretty good QB anyway in Dave Krieg? I mean, he wasn't going to ever be a 2-time NFL MVP or some amazing dual-purpose athlete like Russell Wilson, but he was voted to 3 Pro Bowls in his time as Seahawks starting QB, AND helped lead the Seahawks to postseason 4 times in the 1980s (1983, 1984, 1987, and 1988) and nearly again in 1986 with a 10-6 record. Krieg wasn't a great NFL QB during his career but he was a very good one for a very long time, I can't see Hebert beating out Krieg even in 1985 or 1986, or just being there to push him competitively.

Also, Hebert would've been in arguably as tough or maybe tougher division in the old AFC West of the 1980s: Seattle was a good, contending team surrounded by two division rivals who either won or played in 5 SB's during that period: Elway's Broncos and the Oakland/LA Raiders. Although the Raiders declined somewhat between 1986-1989, by early 1990s, they had rebounded somewhat and KC Chiefs under Marty were now a powerhouse to deal with.

Dan, UFA was going to happen sooner or later irregardless of whether it was Taglibue or a more hard-nosed commissioner in Jim Finks. I've heard some rumors over the years that one reason that NFL owners didn't vote him commissioner is because he was a heavy smoker and even by late 1980's, he started showing some nagging health problems. Keep in mind, that the NFL and its player union had had two costly player strikes in the 1980s alone, and although they were sorted out, collective tension between players and their FO's remained high because the NFL was woefully behind other leagues, like MLB in terms of FA, a league-wide salary cap, and larger player salaries which went hand-in-hand with FA anyway. I would tend to think that if you had a more implacable, no-nonsense NFL commissioner like Finks handling the NFLPA's fight for UFA, the 1990s would've been filled with more labor strife, tension and potentially more lockouts and not the golden era it's remembered for right now when the NFL finally removed any last traces of MLB being this country's favorite, most popular sport.

Some things are inevitable.

He did a good job luring USFL talent, imagine if he was able to get Steve Young or Jim Kelly instead of being stuck with Bobby Hebert. I realize Bobby is beloved but I cannot support a player who quits and blames his receivers for his issues.
I was a Baltimore Colts fan until that team ceased to exist. After March, 1984. I spent 2 years wandering in the wilderness with no team, since I hated the local teams (taking absolute joy in the Raiders thrashing of the Redskins in the 1984 SB) and the frontrunners of the time. Jim Mora then led the Baltimore Stars to the USFL title in 1985 (they played their home games that year at University of Maryland's Byrd Stadium).

Mora came to New Orleans after the USFL folded in 1985, bringing Sam Mills with him. I had that connection to Baltimore, and became a Saints fan in 1986. No one could say I jumped on the bandwagon.

Mora gets the credit/blame for me being here today :hihi:

He almost didn’t get Hebert. Hebert was going to Seattle until the governor stepped in.
Mora should have prevailed upon Finks to get Boomer Esiason from Cincinnati. That deal was probably never in the works, but it's fun to speculate. Esiason in his prime with the Dome Patrol--Yup.

Mora came to New Orleans after the USFL folded in 1985, bringing Sam Mills with him. I had that connection to Baltimore, and became a Saints fan in 1986. No one could say I jumped on the bandwagon.

yep, that was exciting. We only had Jackson before that year. Mora came in with Sam and also scooped Johnson from the defunct league. In his first draft he took Swilling so the Dome Patrol was completely rounded out in his first year. Not to mention the great defensive coaching we had. It was by far FAR the most exciting time to be a Saints fan up to that point.

not to mention that Mayes, Hilliard and Word all came out of that first draft as well. We instantly had a D and a running game.

He did a good job luring USFL talent, imagine if he was able to get Steve Young or Jim Kelly instead of being stuck with Bobby Hebert. I realize Bobby is beloved but I cannot support a player who quits and blames his receivers for his issues.

It wouldn't have mattered with Carl Smith as the offensive coordinator.

See Quote #3....

Are you sure, you are not talking about Payton?

Actually I see Mora and SP as polar opposites. SP gets the basic concept that to win big (playoff) games you need to take chances/risks....Mora never understood that concept which is one of the many reasons he went Ofer in the playoffs. He had arguably one of the best defenses of all time for years and then (albeit a young) Peyton Manning and couldn't win a single playoff game....sobering....

It wouldn't have mattered with Carl Smith as the offensive coordinator.

No matter what he did and where he went in the NFL, Mora could not win a playoff game. His instincts were all wrong--always play it safe, never take a risk. That attitude pervades a team and kills their spirit. He also had a habit of overworking his team so that they were not fresh when they took the field for a real game, but a step behind the other team. I will give Mora credit for making the Saints a respectable franchise for the first time and for leading great defenses. But his offenses were pitiful, based on a ball-control philosophy that was designed to kick field goals instead of make touchdowns (over-relying on the great Morten Anderson), and he refused to get rid of his OC, Carl Bozo Smith, despite years of offensive futility.

I was a Baltimore Colts fan until that team ceased to exist. After March, 1984. I spent 2 years wandering in the wilderness with no team, since I hated the local teams (taking absolute joy in the Raiders thrashing of the Redskins in the 1984 SB) and the frontrunners of the time. Jim Mora then led the Baltimore Stars to the USFL title in 1985 (they played their home games that year at University of Maryland's Byrd Stadium).

My story is very similar! I was a fan of Jim Mora's Philadelphia Stars, mostly because of Sam Mills. I was a smaller MLB in my midget football league, P'Oed off at the world and encouraged to "hit it out" by my coach. Sam Mills was my role model. Was very disappointed when the Stars lost to the Hebert-led Michigan Panthers in the inaugural USFL Championship game. I followed Mills and the Stars when they moved to Baltimore. And sometime after that I think they became the Portland Breakers, and then the New Orleans Breakers. Or did some teams merge? Can't remember that part...

I was also a HUGE fan of Earl Campbell and, living in Steelers country, used to take great joy in watching Earl destroy the vaunted Steel Curtain. When Bum Phillips became the Saints HC, and then brought Earl with him, I followed the Saints. At which time I learned that the Saints and I shared the same inaugural season...1967. And then the Saints drafted George Rogers, who I thought ran an awful lot like a younger and faster Earl Campbell. And then the USFL folded, and the coach of the USFL team of my favorite player became the Saints HC, and then the Saints signed my favorite USFL player Sam Mills. And then they signed an unknown (to me) assassin who would become my ALL-TIME FAVORITE PLAYER, Vaughn Johnson. All roads led me to the NO Saints. I had no choice. And still here. Fan for life...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom