Keith Rivers to have private workout with Saints (1 Viewer)

I wouldn't mind them picking up Rivers at #10. Who would you pick if DE Long, Ellis, Gholston and Rivers were available at #10? (Never happen but 2 of them might be there)

this is one place that I haven't wavered.... Big Sed!

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind them picking up Rivers at #10. Who would you pick if DE Long, Ellis, Gholston and Rivers were available at #10? (Never happen but 2 of them might be there)

Ellis and it's not close...IMO.

You guys crack me up. Who is worth what and at what position. Don't take that as a jab I just get a kick out of all of this. What power the NFL has over all of us!

I am just glad to see the private workout thing happening this year since the Meachum injury was worse than we thought. At least this way we can make the kid work out hard and see first hand.

You guys crack me up. Who is worth what and at what position. Don't take that as a jab I just get a kick out of all of this. What power the NFL has over all of us!.

players that would be worthy of #10 and would compell me to resist the urge to trade down if it were my decision to make-- which it isn't. It's fun to speculate all the same though
I am just glad to see the private workout thing happening this year since the Meachum injury was worse than we thought. At least this way we can make the kid work out hard and see first hand.

Do you know that Meech DID NOT have a pre-draft workout?

Last edited:
Do you know that Meech DID NOT have a pre-draft workout?

Good call - I thought about this after I posted. Had someone distracting me with real work (go figure) when I typed that out. They very well could have worked him out and still missed. I think I recall a dinner visit.

But I think I see a real due dilligence to actually work these guys hard vs' going to dinner and chatting. That was my point. No problem with you keeping me straight on it though.

Good call - I thought about this after I posted. Had someone distracting me with real work (go figure) when I typed that out. They very well could have worked him out and still missed. I think I recall a dinner visit.

But I think I see a real due dilligence to actually work these guys hard vs' going to dinner and chatting. That was my point. No problem with you keeping me straight on it though.

I don't know either way but I seem to remember something like that. They definitely have done the CYA maneuver by saying that he checked out fine with the medical staff.

Remind me to avoid those guys on my next checkup

I am not familiar with Rivers. I have heard some people, who are USC fans, say that they can't understand why the NFL scouts are going gaga over him. They say that he was slightly above average. Now, if he is high on draft boards becasue of his workouts, then that's garbage.

Is there anyone who isn't reading from a draft board that can give good insight to why he is or isn't a 10-12 pick? I know that if anyone were to ask me about a Syracuse player, I could give you the details.

I don't know either way but I seem to remember something like that. They definitely have done the CYA maneuver by saying that he checked out fine with the medical staff.

Remind me to avoid those guys on my next checkup

So true. You know when the GM comes out saying it was worse than they originally thought then somebody is going to make sure that doesn't occur again - especially with a #1 pick!

I am not familiar with Rivers. I have heard some people, who are USC fans, say that they can't understand why the NFL scouts are going gaga over him. They say that he was slightly above average. Now, if he is high on draft boards becasue of his workouts, then that's garbage.

Is there anyone who isn't reading from a draft board that can give good insight to why he is or isn't a 10-12 pick? I know that if anyone were to ask me about a Syracuse player, I could give you the details.

I think it's mostly to do with there being several LBers with high grades and team needs in the first 15 or so picks. One could argue that Gholston would be a great OLB in a 3-4 and that would add to the glut. You have teams that probably have Connors, Rivers and Lofton with similar grades. Why lock one up at 10 when you could still get him at 15-20?

can he play DT, CB, or Safety?? :)

nah Rivers wouldn't suprise me if we picked him at 10, though i'd rather trade back and recoup our 4th before picking him..i've seen him play and he was the 3rd best LB'r on that team...... JMO! but the other two had better stat's and seemed to play better..... not saying that he wouldn't have been the H.N.I.C. if he had played anywhere other than Southern Cal. but i see both sides of the arguement here....

on one side, he is an athletic beast, on the other, why aren't his numbers there to prove it!!! i know he was one of many STAR's at USC and it's hard to get great numbers playing with other great players, but the other two seemed to have great numbers, so that's a false arguement as well.... Rivers at 10 wouldn't be horrible but there are definately 2 or 3 other players and trades that i would rather look at.

The leading tackler for USC had 85 tackles, if that is your idea of great numbers I would love to see what you think of someone who actually breaks 100. Rivers had 78 and missed a game and a half. He led the team in tackles the year before with Cushing and Maulauga in the lineup. And yes, Rivers has lined up at Safety on obvious passing downs.

Last edited:

USC used Rivers more as a coverage Lber than a LOS Lber making his impact on the games less noticeable, especially if you're looking for a lot of tackles behind the LOS and Sacks. The scouts are falling in love with Rivers because of how he projects to the NFL. Last time I checked, if you would have asked any NCState fan where Mario Williams would get drafted before the post College season hype started, I garauntee not many would have said first round much less the #1 overall player.

Scouts took Williams' body type and measureables along with his fairly average College play and projected him to the NFL where he is a much better player.

According to Mike D, Rivers has instincts, speed and tackles well.....what else do you need to know?:idunno: I don't know if we will take Rivers at 10, but to those saying it would be a bad pick......I don't get it.:scratch:

Keith had an ankle injury in the fall, so why not check him out thoroughly if he is under consideration? He would seem to be back to full speed. His teammate Thomas Williams (LB) has a blog about their draft preparations:

Keith and I have the same routine. We wake up about 8, eat breakfast, get to campus about 9 or 9:15 to get stretched and warmed up and then we start our on field workouts at 10 sharp. We do not wait for each other so we arrive early and get loose. We work on the 3-cone and shuttle drills for about 35-40 minutes, go inside and lift weights and then come back out to do some special running drills. We did some resistance running today pulling each other 40 yards with the bungee cords.

When we got out there yesterday Jerry Rice was on the field working out with a bunch of guys. He wasn't just watching, he was running drills, running routes, catching balls, he was doing the whole 9. For a guy 20 years older than us it was amazing to see how hard he works and what a perfectionist he is. I have heard all about his workouts before so getting a chance to see it was really cool. It was also very motivating for me and Keith. He is so inspirational and just seeing the way he works helped push us even more. We knew exactly what we needed to do - FINISH STRONG.

When we get done with our running drills we go inside and get an ice bath to keep the body fresh. Then I head home and take a nap for a couple hours, relax and get ready for the next day. This Friday we're going to run the Coliseum stairs as part of our running routine.

etc. etc.Thomas Williams's Blog: 2008 Draft Class

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom