Kelly’s Staff (1 Viewer)

Domeination

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Kelly looking to pull Freeman in as DC. Post other news about the staff he will be assembling in this thread.

Last edited:
I posted tweets in the other thread, but from the current LSU staff, Corey Raymond and Kevin Faulk are being retained. Those are the only 2 I've seen so far.

Kelly also trying to bring his OC from Notre Dame with him, Tommy Rees.

https://theathletic.com/news/notre-...n-tommy-rees-to-lsu-per-sources/SvY3ETOwYRpl/

I don't exactly know a ton about Rees, but I did find this much out and posted it in the HC Search thread:

Kelly's OC, Tommy Rees, has been kind of like ND's Joe Brady. Rees coached a year with the San Diego Chargers under Mike McCoy in 2016, then came back to college to coach ND's QB's the following season. He's been with Brian Kelly ever since.

Rees turns 30 next May.

In addition, the one QB he coached as Notre Dame OC got drafted into the NFL -- the Saints' Ian Book.

If he Brings Freeman and Rees, they will need more hold over for recruiting, not just Faulk and Raymond. I love the hire but devils in the details here. Time will tell all.

Kelly on Rees's adaptability and growth as ND OC:
Head coach Brian Kelly has been impressed with Rees’s play calls.

“I think it’s been growth,” Kelly said. “I think he’s growing as an offensive coordinator. He comes into me, Wisconsin week, and goes, coach, I don’t know how much success we’re gonna have, running it. Let’s just evaluate throwing the football. I think that’s growth in itself. Let’s find a way to win this game. Then we come back this week and we’re really talking about playing multiple quarterbacks. It has not been clean for him this year, in terms of each week being the same thing, and I think he’s handled himself very well. He’s taken the responsibility of the offense and that’s really all I can ask for on a day to day basis.”

https://www.wndu.com/2021/10/06/brian-kelly-sees-growth-tommy-reess-play-calling/

If he Brings Freeman and Rees, they will need more hold over for recruiting, not just Faulk and Raymond. I love the hire but devils in the details here. Time will tell all.

whats the number one reason for a 4-5 star to attend a certain school?

The ultimate reason is a high draft pick in the NFL, this begins with coaching, national exposure, CFP appearances, etc.
Bingo.

National exposure which then you can parse down to skill positions like WR, RB, QB, TE, DB, LB

but at the end of the day, its exposure for an attempt at fulfilling a dream.

We will have plenty with Kelly as HC.

If Kelly has his OC and DC on point, recruiting takes care of itself. We don't need to be top 2 in recruiting to beat anyone. We need the proper players at proper positions to fit the style of offense and defense. I'm sure Kelly and Co can make it happen.

I think these are the positions that need to be filled:

Assc. HC--Frank Wilson
OC
QB
RBs—Kevin Faulk
TEs
OL

DC
DL
LBs
DBs—Corey Raymond

STs--Brian Polian

Strength and Conditioning--Jacob Flint
Director of Sports Nutrition--Dr. Matt Frakes

Last edited:
Walker Howard seemed pretty happy about Kelly going to LSU.

I feel bad for the ND players, but LSU couldn't wait...Kelly gotta get in and repair the damage CEO did to this recruiting class and start hitting the transfer portal

Kelly today says that he has yet to sit down with any current LSU coaches. We know he wants Freeman and Rees. He has also reached out to Tony Alford at tOSU who turned him down already. Of course, Kelly turned down Woodward initially, too.

Freeman almost single-handedly is responsible for NDs #5 ranked recruit class. Alford worked for Kelly before at ND and Saban has chased him as well. He's responsible for JK Dobbins, Alize Mack, Treyvon Henderson, Sevyen Banks, Master Teague, etc.

These are all fantastic hires. Even if he doesn't bring these guys in, he has a long list of identifying great coaches and developing them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom