Kelly’s Staff (1 Viewer)

A few things about Joe Brady. First, according to several people who have knowledge of the LSU program, Brady hates recruiting. He's good at it, but dislikes it very much. He has no desire to coach college ever again unless no pro team will hire him.

Second, he receives entirely too much credit for 2019. He's smart. He's organized. He's talented. He didn't run the 2019 offense. He installed RPO's, brought some stuff from the Saints (as did Ed O) and helped call plays like 3rd downs, red zones, etc. Guys in the press sat right next to those coaches and they all agree that Ensminger is responsible for that offense. Brady contributed, but as we have seen in the NFL he is nowhere near the play-caller people make him out to be, 2019 worked because Brady and Ensminger worked so well together and really complimented each other.

Third, he didn't have **** to do with Joe Burrow. Brady worked with the WRs. He is partially responsible for the leap that Jefferson, Chase, Marshall, Moss, etc all made from 2018 to 2019. His work on hand-eye coordination, vision tendencies, hand training, etc. really turned around the WR group and turned those three guys from good to elite.

If Brady wants to come to LSU as a WR/Passing Game Coordinator with re-newed interest in recruiting, I am 100% on board. Outside of that, it's time we moved on.
Thanks for that....I was unaware

Kelly maybe losing players and recruits while he dithers with hiring a staff. Who’s my coordinator coach? I don’t know. Well, who’s my position coach then. Don’t know.

Kelly maybe losing players and recruits while he dithers with hiring a staff. Who’s my coordinator coach? I don’t know. Well, who’s my position coach then. Don’t know.
Well early signing is past, and NSD is not until Feburary. Dont know if it is the same now but the way it was in the past, if you lacked coordinators the HC could take more visits which may be a good thing for BK to establish a rapport with the guys LSU has already been courting.

Of course we do have an OC and DC we are still employing and imagine their termination(or reassignment) will not occur until after the Bowl game on Jan 4th. I dont know if the NCAA grants an exception if we know they will not be coordinators past the bowl game or not.

Anyway, I am fine with BK taking his time with the hires... to a point.

If our future coordinator has a bowl game or is in the playoff, Jan 10th is the title game.

If they are in the NFL, Jan 9th is the end of the regular season.

I dont expect the OC or DC announcement before the 5th, and as long as it is done by the 13th and they fill most of their position coach spots within a week of that, i am good.

We are currently in a dead period for in person visits to my understanding, and that period extends to the 13th.

As long as we have our coordinators in place by then they will have 16 days to sell their vision of the O/D to the kids BK has hopefully already sold on, himself, the programs direction, and the School. They may also bring recruits or transfers with them.

So in short I expect the announcement sometime between the 5th and the 11th.

Peetz cannot be our OC next year, really the OC spot needs to be a homerun.
I would be fine with D.Jones staying on as DC, he showed promise and was still recruiting hard leading up to ESD. I just dont know why it would not be announced yet, and why the defensive staff would not be filled out, unless he is a fallback option or is going to stay on as a position coach for a year.

I would be more than fine with either Peetz or Jones staying on as position coaches or analysts for a year as we would have to pay them to go away anyway, both are quality coaches just not top flight coordinators, and both would probably leave on their own within a year for a higher post elsewhere.

Of course maybe their buyouts are modest.

From what I gather, the one guy BK really liked on O's staff is the offensive line coach, and, not surprisingly, he is fulfilling the HC role for the bowl game. Davis is a native of Baton Rouge and was an offensive lineman on the 2000 OU championship team, and the O line coach was Sam Pittman, the HC at Arkansas, where Davis later coached O line for Pittman for a year. I really don't think BK is interested in any of the other LSU football coaches, or else he'd have already locked them down. One other thing: Myles Brennan is saying BK told him he coaches the offense and is in the QB room and tailors the offense to the strengths of the QB. BK will have an OC, just like Sean Payton does, but the real decision making will be done by BK, so it is unlikely he will get a big name OC. BK appears to have lost out on the Kentucky DC, so it may take some time before he finds the right guy.

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
From what I gather, the one guy BK really liked on O's staff is the offensive line coach, and, not surprisingly, he is fulfilling the HC role for the bowl game. Davis is a native of Baton Rouge and was an offensive lineman on the 2000 OU championship team, and the O line coach was Sam Pittman, the HC at Arkansas, where Davis later coached O line for Pittman for a year. I really don't think BK is interested in any of the other LSU football coaches, or else he'd have already locked them down. One other thing: Myles Brennan is saying BK told him he coaches the offense and is in the QB room and tailors the offense to the strengths of the QB. BK will have an OC, just like Sean Payton does, but the real decision making will be done by BK, so it is unlikely he will get a big name OC. BK appears to have lost out on the Kentucky DC, so it may take some time before he finds the right guy.
There have been rumors that Blake Baker is headed to SMU for the open DC job. I would imagine that anyone not announced as a coach for next season by now isn't going to be ta LSU after February. None of those guys will have problems finding a job.

It has to be obvious right? The guys he's looking at to be on staff are all coaching in bowls right now. Otherwise, I can't see what the hold up would be.

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
Like it, not blown away, but i like it.

Negatives.:
-As DC at Pitt for two seasons he had a mediocre to solid defense, but when HC Paul Chryst left he was not retained.

-Next stop he was FIU DC, his defense there was flat out bad, but that could be a talent issue. After just one season he left to be a position coach at UK.

-At UK his most successful stint as a DC, he worked under Stoops, who was "intimately involved" in the defense.

Positives:
-Well regarded for player development.

-Recruits well with strong connections in Georgia.

-Has coached LBs, DBs, DL, and special teams. Has NFL and FBS experience and connections.

Question... from my understanding his strengths are player development and hands on coaching. He has handled playcalling duties and the Xs and Os, but his best seasons doing this were under Stoops who self atmittedly was "intimately involved" in the those aspects of the defense. Do we need some cerebral analysts or position coaches to supplement these skills? Or do you think he just needs the chance without being in anyones shadow?

House may not be starting at LSU for a bit, but im sure he can communicate with Kelly what/who he is looking for in terms of position coaches.

Do you think Daronte Jones stays on as an analyst or maybe even secondary coach? He is a good coach with a strong rep that we would have to pay handsomly to send away. He could undoubtedly find another job, but seeing as he would likely lose money leaving on his own he might stay on for a season in some capacity while weighing his options.

Like it, not blown away, but i like it.

Negatives.:
-As DC at Pitt for two seasons he had a mediocre to solid defense, but when HC Paul Chryst left he was not retained.

-Next stop he was FIU DC, his defense there was flat out bad, but that could be a talent issue. After just one season he left to be a position coach at UK.

-At UK his most successful stint as a DC, he worked under Stoops, who was "intimately involved" in the defense.

Positives:
-Well regarded for player development.

-Recruits well with strong connections in Georgia.

-Has coached LBs, DBs, DL, and special teams. Has NFL and FBS experience and connections.

Question... from my understanding his strengths are player development and hands on coaching. He has handled playcalling duties and the Xs and Os, but his best seasons doing this were under Stoops who self atmittedly was "intimately involved" in the those aspects of the defense. Do we need some cerebral analysts or position coaches to supplement these skills? Or do you think he just needs the chance without being in anyones shadow?

House may not be starting at LSU for a bit, but im sure he can communicate with Kelly what/who he is looking for in terms of position coaches.

Do you think Daronte Jones stays on as an analyst or maybe even secondary coach? He is a good coach with a strong rep that we would have to pay handsomly to send away. He could undoubtedly find another job, but seeing as he would likely lose money leaving on his own he might stay on for a season in some capacity while weighing his options.
Jones defense to start the season was one of the worst defenses in terms of scheme and was a huge mismatch to the talent on the team.

When we finally went to man coverage, zone blitzing and letting our guys fly around and make plays it was fantastic even with major depth issues and missing a ton of talent. The two schemes were polar opposite to each other and I’d love to retain whoever took over the defense mid way through the season whether that is Jones or someone else.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom