Kelly Tilghman controversy (golf channel) (1 Viewer)

question for those claiming racism

if she would have said take him in the alley and hit him over the head - would that be better?

Still be off color, but would not come off as racist. Problem is, in our past, in this country white lynch mobs used to hang Black men, women, and children at a rate as NCsaint pointed out of 1 per week. Her being from South Carolina and going to school and being educated at Duke, she probably should have had a better idea of this. Bottom line she needs to think before she speaks. The comment is off color and would have been wrong if she said it about Arnold Palmer.

The people comparing this to Chris Rocks stand up IMO are the ones way off base. If you buy a ticket, turn on and HBO special or whatever you knew what you were getting into. You know he does jokes like that, if ya don't wanna hear them or don't like his stand up you can easily avoid it. I'd even say Don Imus should have had a longer leash, because again its his show thats the way Imus is, he has always been a very opinionated jerk and I for one never listen to his show, and most people that do would not take offense to comments he made. Basicly you know the type of stuff that guy is gonna say, your a fan of his show and you listen cause you like him.

Now you have this woman on the golf channel. A scenairo for ya, and elderly black person who has seen racism first hand weather it be in a resturant, on a bus, or at the water fountain, or maybe an older uncle, parent that god forbid died via lynching. Who basicly has seen some pretty rotton stuff first hand. Well that person just wants to relax and watch some golf, there favorite golfer may even be tiger woods. Than this woman who you couldn't identify from a linup of 2. Gets on the screen and says that in order for young golfers to have a chance they need to lynch Tiger Woods in a back alley. You don't think that person is gonna have a different opinion than say a 26 or 27 year old white male that really dosen't know how truely big a problem racism was in this country. I can see how the comment is offensive. But unlike Imus, or Chirs Rock were you already know whats to be expected before ya flip the channel. This woman said it on the gold channel, where she is not the focus the golf is the focus, we aren't tuning in to see this woman or hear that dribble. Thats why I think people hold folks in the media, and on broadcast to a higer standard when it comes to this stuff. the are there to report the ongoing stuff, not make outlandish opinionated comments like that. I shouldn't have to hear comments like that on a netural station. If you listen to Imus, or Howard Stern you pretty much know what to expect. I'd file this in the same folder as Rush Limbaugh's comment about McNabb on ESPN. Rather than what Chris Rock does in his standup.

Also, the fact that Tiger brushed it off, is a true sign that the man is above this stuff. I don't think Tiger has a recist bone in his body. He parents were interacial, his wife is a beautiful white woman and color/race for him has never been an issue and he isn't gonna make it one now. Kudos to him for the way he handled the situation. He wanted it to go away and it will alot sooner because of him and the way he treated it as a none issue. Will be no interviews about it like when Rush took some verbal shots at Mcnabb and he was on the news giving his opinion on the situation. Tiger like the true professional he is, just brushed it off and decided not to let it affect him. But that dosen't excuse the comments she made, period. It was her employers desicion to suspend her and I think it was just.

Last edited:
"the fact that Tiger brushed it off, is a true sign that than man is above this stuff."

more should follow this lead - its quite obvious when someone is being racist and some one is making a point - she was paying him a compliment when it was all said and done. - if she would have said that black guy is good lets lynch him - then you have something there.

there are phrases used by people all the time by all types of people that can be taken in many ways - if you teach kids to look for racism in every act or comment you can find it - thats true for kids of every race, creed or nationality.

you want racism - fuzzy zeller's comment was racist

this is a serious question.....are black people the only people to ever be "lynched"???

this is a serious question.....are black people the only people to ever be "lynched"???

No, lynch mobs often targeted criminals.

They were the only people with a long history of being lynched just because of their race in this country.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0XlcVAe4NJs&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0XlcVAe4NJs&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Good Ole Al Sharpton. Let's break down his comments.

First he says that it is the same thing Don Imus did with the Rutgers girls and they forgave him. Not exactly, Imus said he wanted to talk with them. The lawsuits don't exactly show that they forgave him.

Then Sharpton says that if he got on a show and said he wanted to put a Jewish-American in a gas chamber then it doesn't matter what context he said it under the Jewish community has the right to say that he should be put off the show or put off his radio show. He just said it and then said it doesn't matter the context in which he said it. So Al Sharpton thinks he should not be put on another radio show?

Anyway, he compares this girl's comment about a group of other golfers wanting to take Tiger Woods into the back alley and lynch him. She is jokingly saying that the other golfer want to take Tiger out so they could be competitive again. This is actually a compliment to Tiger saying how much better he is than the other golfers but since she uses the word lynch it becomes a racist statement.

Let's examine the word lynch or lynching.
lynch (lĭnch) Pronunciation Key
tr.v. lynched, lynch·ing, lynch·es
To execute without due process of law, especially to hang, as by a mob.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lynching

At no point does the dictionary use this word as an example of race or racism. If they did would the dictionary be sued or protested for racism?

Anyway, Kelly used the word lynching in context that a group of other golfers would want to go after Tiger. The word lynch was used in exact context as the dictionaries definition.

So, would Al Sharpton prefer people look at Tiger Woods as a black man or as a golfer like Kelly did?

Al Sharpton then says this an insult to all blacks. Tiger Woods didn't take it as an insult, isn't he the black man that the comment was made about? One of the most highly respected athletes in all of sports who is a black man and the comments were made about says this wasn't offensive but somehow it is offensive to all blacks.

Al Sharpton again mentions how lynching is a specific racial term. Actually, it isn't a racist term at all. I understand that lynching is associated by many with racism but it doesn't make the word itself racist.

Al Sharpton doesn't think it matters if she is a racist. Yeah, actually it does matter. The difference between a poorly chosen word by a sports personality on television and a racist person saying a black man should be lynched by a group of white men is quite different.

Then Sharpton says either way you cut it the comment is a race based insult. Actually Al, if she is using the term lynch as a mob wanting to take another person out then it isn't a race based insult, instead it is a properly used word in a sentence. If Kelly said the other white golfers should lynch Tiger because he is black then it becomes extremely racist. She was saying the other golfers should lynch him because he is better than they are. She did not even bring race into the equation.

Lynching is not a racist word unless the word is used in a racist tone. It was a poorly chosen word, she should have never said it but the person it was said about did not view it as racist or offensive and this lady has no history of being racist. Lynching goes back thousands of years and long before it was used against blacks in the US.

Still be off color, but would not come off as racist. Problem is, in our past, in this country white lynch mobs used to hang Black men, women, and children at a rate as NCsaint pointed out of 1 per week. Her being from South Carolina and going to school and being educated at Duke, she probably should have had a better idea of this. Bottom line she needs to think before she speaks. The comment is off color and would have been wrong if she said it about Arnold Palmer.

The people comparing this to Chris Rocks stand up IMO are the ones way off base. If you buy a ticket, turn on and HBO special or whatever you knew what you were getting into. You know he does jokes like that, if ya don't wanna hear them or don't like his stand up you can easily avoid it. I'd even say Don Imus should have had a longer leash, because again its his show thats the way Imus is, he has always been a very opinionated jerk and I for one never listen to his show, and most people that do would not take offense to comments he made. Basicly you know the type of stuff that guy is gonna say, your a fan of his show and you listen cause you like him.

Now you have this woman on the golf channel. A scenairo for ya, and elderly black person who has seen racism first hand weather it be in a resturant, on a bus, or at the water fountain, or maybe an older uncle, parent that god forbid died via lynching. Who basicly has seen some pretty rotton stuff first hand. Well that person just wants to relax and watch some golf, there favorite golfer may even be tiger woods. Than this woman who you couldn't identify from a linup of 2. Gets on the screen and says that in order for young golfers to have a chance they need to lynch Tiger Woods in a back alley. You don't think that person is gonna have a different opinion than say a 26 or 27 year old white male that really dosen't know how truely big a problem racism was in this country. I can see how the comment is offensive. But unlike Imus, or Chirs Rock were you already know whats to be expected before ya flip the channel. This woman said it on the gold channel, where she is not the focus the golf is the focus, we aren't tuning in to see this woman or hear that dribble. Thats why I think people hold folks in the media, and on broadcast to a higer standard when it comes to this stuff. the are there to report the ongoing stuff, not make outlandish opinionated comments like that. I shouldn't have to hear comments like that on a netural station. If you listen to Imus, or Howard Stern you pretty much know what to expect. I'd file this in the same folder as Rush Limbaugh's comment about McNabb on ESPN. Rather than what Chris Rock does in his standup.

Also, the fact that Tiger brushed it off, is a true sign that the man is above this stuff. I don't think Tiger has a recist bone in his body. He parents were interacial, his wife is a beautiful white woman and color/race for him has never been an issue and he isn't gonna make it one now. Kudos to him for the way he handled the situation. He wanted it to go away and it will alot sooner because of him and the way he treated it as a none issue. Will be no interviews about it like when Rush took some verbal shots at Mcnabb and he was on the news giving his opinion on the situation. Tiger like the true professional he is, just brushed it off and decided not to let it affect him. But that dosen't excuse the comments she made, period. It was her employers desicion to suspend her and I think it was just.

Before people go yelling racism over these type "infractions" they should use a litmus test of, Was there intent to harm or dengrade?

As for the old person sitting in front of the TV who may have witnessed a lynching, they of all people should be the people who can see the difference in what is viewed as racism in todays world vs. what was truly racism.

LOL!!

Everytime a situation like this happens its always the same thing.

White person says something ridiculous
Al Sharpton gets up in arms and says its racist
White person whines about how they cannot say anything anymore without it being rasict

Why do people even care what sharpton says? Kelly should have been smarter in her comments. Why even go there?

I wont even touch some of the ridiculous comments in this thread.

LOL!!

Everytime a situation like this happens its always the same thing.

White person says something ridiculous
Al Sharpton gets up in arms and says its racist
White person whines about how they cannot say anything anymore without it being rasict

Why do people even care what sharpton says? Kelly should have been smarter in her comments. Why even go there?

I wont even touch some of the ridiculous comments in this thread.

Who said Kelly shouldn't have been smarter in her comments?

Why don't you touch some of the "ridiculous" comments in this thread instead of blasting everyone in it for unknown reasons.

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0XlcVAe4NJs&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

First he says that it is the same thing Don Imus did with the Rutgers girls and they forgave him. Not exactly, Imus said he wanted to talk with them. The lawsuits don't exactly show that they forgave him.

Correction. Only one of the girls filed a defamation lawsuit and she dropped it. It was the only suit filed and it was dropped like 4 months ago only days after being filed.

The team came right out and said they forgave Imus and weren't concerned about it.

bclemms said:
At no point does the dictionary use this word as an example of race or racism. If they did would the dictionary be sued or protested for racism?

"The punishment of supposed criminals, especially by hanging, by agreement of a crowd and without a genuine criminal trial. Lynch law was used in the early settlement of the West as a way of maintaining minimal law and order before a sheriff and courts could be set up. It has also been used to deprive unpopular suspects of their rights and to satisfy a mob's thirst for vengeance. Lynch law was often used by whites in the South to terrorize and subjugate blacks."

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=lynch law

Correction. Only one of the girls filed a defamation lawsuit and she dropped it. It was the only suit filed and it was dropped like 4 months ago only days after being filed.

The team came right out and said they forgave Imus and weren't concerned about it.

You are correct. For some reason I thought the first girl filed a lawsuit and her attorney had either convinced several others to file suit or had filed a class action suit on behalf of the Rutgers team. I should have looked it up.

DMaestro, I was referring to the actual definition. There is no doubt that it was used in racist actions. I should have made that more clear.

DMaestro, I was referring to the actual definition. There is no doubt that it was used in racist actions. I should have made that more clear.

I'd argue that the racial undertones of the word "lynch" are well-known in the common vernacular of American society. IMO, this renders the formal definition irrelevant when used in this unfortunate context. English is a big, muscular language; there is an infinite number of ways Tilghman could've conveyed the sentiment she was trying to convey without using such a loaded word.

I don't have a problem letting bygones be bygones -- Lord knows what kinds of stupid things I'd say if someone gave me a microphone and broadcast my voice across the nation -- but I'm a little more hesitant to blow off the remark itself. The lynching of blacks was damn near an epidemic in premodern America and I don't think we're far enough removed from that era to simply look at the usage of the word from a purely lexical standpoint.

I certainly understand your desire to get beyond all that. I just don't think we're there yet.

Just as much as people want to claim others need thicker skin, I think there's a glaring need for more people to use better judgment.

Spin her comment -- the bottomline for most in this country, I'm willing to bet, when they hear the term "lynch" is to picture a black man swinging by a rope from a tree.

Spin her comment -- the bottomline for most in this country, I'm willing to bet, when they hear the term "lynch" is to picture a black man swinging by a rope from a tree.

and therein lies the problem - are Blacks the only people to ever have been lynched in history? Of course not.

But the association in our culture is no stronger for any other group. I saw someone post earlier that the Fuzzy comments were racist - but are Blacks the only group who eat whatever it was that Fuzzy pointed out? Of course not.

The term is racially loaded and I agree that more awareness is needed, as is thicker skin.

I am late to this thread - but there was something in the first post about Blacks wanting to be seen as just a person and not Black.

I don't think that's accurate either - none of the pieces on critical race theory or activism I've read or am familiar with believe that sort of color blindness is actually productive.

Even Mr. Brown from the Office's "Diversity" training called it fighting ignorance with more ignorance.

All I know I learned from "The Office" :)

The Golf Channel needs publicity.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom