Kelly Tilghman controversy (golf channel) (1 Viewer)

Dammit every few months we have a controversy like this, and then everyone comes out and sticks their two cents in, radio call-in shows and internet boards get in a tizzy, we wind up having a ten page long thread on the EE board and we wind up coming to the same conclusion-- that it all depends on your perspective whether or not she "meant it" this way or that way, or whether we're making too much out of it. Do we really need to go through this again???????

Dammit every few months we have a controversy like this, and then everyone comes out and sticks their two cents in, radio call-in shows and internet boards get in a tizzy, we wind up having a ten page long thread on the EE board and we wind up coming to the same conclusion-- that it all depends on your perspective whether or not she "meant it" this way or that way, or whether we're making too much out of it. Do we really need to go through this again???????

Hey now be careful! Feellings may get hurt with this type of posting.

Sorry couldn't resist...:hihi:

It was just a poor choice of words. If she had any sense, she would have just said something like, "They should give Tiger some AIDS." That way, there would be no angry backlash whatsoever.

I think we should remove George Wshington from all currency and rename all venues named after him....some my find it offensive that we honor him, after all he was a slave owner.

Was there not a CBS golfing announcer who was fired for making a bikini wax reference during the Masters? There are certain phrases and couplets which should not be used, period. I suppose the punishment is appropriate, although as an athlete, she might not know anything apart from golfing. A radio personality for a sports station in OKC made reference to LSU being "dead in the water" after the Tenn game post-Katrina. An apology followed.

You know, I know that as a society, we are a little too sensitive and a little too P.C., but there ARE actually times when someone says something that is totally out of line and just plain old dumb. She's a college educated woman (I assume) and she's far from being a kid, so to even suggest she didn't know the implications because she isn't racist is ludicrous.

I heard DJ Blankley on Glenn Beck's show about a week ago and he told me that their are much worse things going on in the black community then being called a name or a word like the ones we all so aware of. My God he said that AIDS, unemployment, broken families, and other things that were much important then a word are effecting blacks and other minorities. He said this in reference to the symbolic burying of the N-word by Al Sharpton and Jesse this past summer, he said that doing that was symbolic and did only so much to help anything, just because you bury a word doesn't mean necessarily its gone away, somebody was probably saying somewhere all over the US anyway.

But he made a lot of sense with his arguments. It wasn't to excuse racist words or attitudes, but he made a good point of saying their were much more important things in this country to be concerned about then a bad word. Well thought out and well intentioned man Hughley was. I think to a certain level he and Chris Rock made some good points about race topics and other issues like it in their comedy routines. Its funny to think about it but it makes good sense when you think about it

Was there not a CBS golfing announcer who was fired for making a bikini wax reference during the Masters? There are certain phrases and couplets which should not be used, period. I suppose the punishment is appropriate, although as an athlete, she might not know anything apart from golfing. A radio personality for a sports station in OKC made reference to LSU being "dead in the water" after the Tenn game post-Katrina. An apology followed.

He wasn't fired. Augusta National just wouldn't let him cover the Masters any longer.

And Martha Burke says Augusta members are a bunch of sexists. Shows what she knows!

wow, any grown adult in this country that does not know why it is wrong to say that a black person should be lynched......... yes, some black people in this country are too sensitive but how can a black person be too sensitive about lynching in this country (not a question that needs answering). It is also wrong when blacks talk this type of hate to white people, doesn't matter if they are comedians or not. if i'm at work and make a mistake and my boss says i should take you outside and lynch you (even if he didn't mean it racially) we still have a big problem. some people are so tired of the way blacks are treated in this country that they can not see when something is wrong (wrong is wrong).

question for those claiming racism

if she would have said take him in the alley and hit him over the head - would that be better?

Yeah it was a pretty racist remark IMO. But man is she hot, I hope the story dosen't go away and she loses here career as a golf announcer and poses for playboy to get some dough. (Yes, I am an idiot)

Edit: and if ya don't wanna call it raciest fine (tiger does claim to be Cablasian), it was in very very very very very very very poor taste to say the least. To insinuate that he is good at golf and the younger golfers should lynch him in an alley. Pretty off color comments reguardless what color Tiger woods.

SQ, actually he claims to be Cablinasian (Caucasion, Black, Indian, Asian). So, with Tiger, any racist remark would probably affect him (one of his declared bloodlines), which is why I think he lets it all roll-off when possible. That does not mean it did not bother him...you would probably be surprised at what his privat response was, me too? We all have to "let it roll-off" at times or we will never get along. Every now-and-then, a racial comment will catch me sideways and I will respond with absolute swiftness, but sometimes, to get along we have to go along.

She was just having fun and made a silly comment. I, personally, do not believe that she had a vision of white men actually Lynching Tiger in an Alley when she made the remark. I just don't. I think she was simply using words to make a point and not thinking about their consequences or effects.

Shiz

This may be a little sensitive but I am really getting tired of people wearing their sensitivity on their sleeves. The comment she made was not racists unless you are black and view it as racist. Lynching have been caried out on classes of people from all countries and all walks of life.

*edit add: If she made the comment about Phil Mickelson would people have caused a stir? If the comment was racially insensitive, has it occurred to anyone that maybe she is so non racist that she only sees Tiger as a person and not a black person? Isn't that what the black population wants?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynching

Maybe the african community should write a dictionary of racially sensitive words and phrases they do not like so the rest of the world will know what can and cannot be said. Many adults today were not born when these "racially sensitve" words were associated to the racial dictionary.

One day I would like to see someone accused of one of these "infractions" file a libel and defamation suit against the people who in return call someone racist.

Starting today, as a white man I am going to start a crusade to have the word "racist" removed from the diction of african americans. It is an offensive word and obviously only be used to denigrate white skinned people. It is ok if used by other white skinned people to referr to other white skinned people but by no means should it be used by black skinned.

Now for a more light story regarding Kelly. I was working out one day and this new girl was also working out at the same time. Guys were constantly clamoring around her as she was working out and I thought it was the typical dogs in heat over new flesh. My routine was to always shoot some hoops for about 30 minutes after weights and cardio so I do that as usual and within about 5 minutes this girl comes in and asks if she can shoot with me. She was pretty good and kicked my butt in several games of horse. I asked her what college she played for and said she did play in college but not basketball ... golf. She then proceeded to say she was in town for the Byron Nelson and the Colonial working for the Golf Channel. I was an avid golfer but did not have the Golf Channel so I had no clue who she was but suddenly realized why all the guys were hounding her so much. I proceeded to ask her all kinds of questions about the job, different players and she said she has interviewed Tiger many times and played golf with him as well. She was very friendly and easy to talk with and I credit that to the environment and the fact that I had no clue who she was.

We scheduled to meet up again the next day but as luck(bad) would have it I was sent out of town and did not get back in time to workout. The next year at the colonial I asked some of the GC guys if she was in town and they said she wasn't and that I didn;t have a chance with her anyway because she was on the other team. I feel bad because I think standing her up at the gym the next day made her go gay. LOL

Ask and you shall receive:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/daily.php

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom