Kendial Lawrence Rb rated an UDFA but 4.3 speed (1 Viewer)

you never know what are needs will be, we could trade someone, or injury, so we will bring in RBs into camp, I have been going over the pro day results to see what changed, and finding "Gems" Like Kyler Reed listed as a TE , but at 6' 2" 235Lbs and runs a 4.4 should be a Wr, but blocks probably really well, going to go Undrafted
Kyler Reed TD Catch Vs. Southern Miss 2012 Football - YouTube

I was just asking myself who we could get to be our 6th string RB in 2013. Good find!

Come on man that was pretty harsh. When it comes to UDFA there's little risk to bringing a guy in and seeing what he's got. You just never know.

Nick Hale of Nevada is another sleeper pro day rb who didn't have much production but had a 5.6 yard avg last year at 220+lbs like Chris Ivory did at Tiffin and he ran a 4.37 at his pro day.

uspw_6602744.jpg

http://blogs.rgj.com/packblog/2012/...o-make-the-most-of-his-limited-opportunities/

He looks like he would be a steal as a UDFA in our offense the same way we were able to find Ivory and Thomas. I'm still trying to figure out why he's rated as an UDFA and not as a mid round pick at least. He has great speed, great college numbers, and played in an elite conference. He hasn't been injured. His size must be a real question mark at the pro level or he must not do too well in pass protection.

He reminds me of Jacquizz Rodgers, who has the same weight but is 3 inches shorter. Yet Rodgers was regarded as a mid round pick prior to the 2011 draft and was selected in the 5th.

Nick Hale is another one. We won't have a problem whatsoever finding another undrafted gem at RB or late in the draft this year, which is why I'm really curious to see if we'll move any of our current RB's for cap space

Nick Hale is another one. We won't have a problem whatsoever finding another undrafted gem at RB or late in the draft this year, which is why I'm really curious to see if we'll move any of our current RB's for cap space

Hale was locked behind likely the best running back in college football last year in Stephon Jefferson who rushed for 1900 yards and 25 TDs. It's no surprise that he didn't get much playing time. Jefferson had 397 touches (375 carries) last year for Nevada, but Hale had a couple of decent games last year for Nevada against Hawaii and Arizona.

He had 14 carries for 73 yards in the New Mexico Bowl for a 5.2 yard average.

Hale
can be seen playing in the 3rd quarter in here

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nZmF5oUa_7A" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Hale was locked behind likely the best running back in college football last year in Stephon Jefferson who rushed for 1900 yards and 25 TDs. It's no surprise that he didn't get much playing time. Jefferson had 397 touches (375 carries) last year for Nevada, but Hale had a couple of decent games last year for Nevada against Hawaii and Arizona.

He had 14 carries for 73 yards in the New Mexico Bowl for a 5.2 yard average.

Hale
can be seen playing in the 3rd quarter in here

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nZmF5oUa_7A" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Those are some insane numbers for Stefphon Jefferson. But it's hard to tell if he's really that talented or if he rushed for that many yards because of Nevada's O-Line scheme. I was seeing massive lanes being opened up for him but looking slow as molasses throughout the video while I was skimming thru it. He isn't graded as a late round pick for nothing. Dude ran a 4.68 in the 40 at the combine so much of his rushing success had to be due to the O-Line. He likely decided to leave school early for the draft to capitalize off of that phenomenal, but fluky season. He would only survive in the league if went to a zone blocking team like Houston, Washington, or Seattle, but as a backup only

It's probably kinda backwards to be impressed more with someone that hasn't played much than the player that has, but I really like Hale. Sub 4.4 speed at 220 lbs is something you can't teach. Just looking at the game against Arizona, he has superb quickness for his size and hits the hole well just like Ivory like you said. The same type of back. He doesn't have a big track record or large body of work for teams to be in hot pursuit for him so we shouldn't have a problem landing him. He also has the versatility to play FB so maybe that's why he didn't get much pt as a runner. Probably could compete with Jed Collins at FB so there's plenty of ways he could provide value for us.

Unlikely that any UDFA RB would sign with us, given our depth.

:scratch: Did I somehow miss all of our running backs setting the world on fire, making the Pro Bowl, or for that matter, any of them even producing more than 1 personal 100+ yard game this season (PT had 1, no one else had any)?

I know we feel pretty good about these guys, but the fact is if we found a true diamond in the FA rough, the starting job could be had easily. Look at Arian Foster, he was a UDFA. Sure, he's the exception, but that's the point. If we bring in a guy and he proves to be the exception, we aren't sitting on anyone who's an entrenched star player at RB. Heck, every one of them has been bashed somewhat mercilessly on this board during the season and people have even questioned why we haven't/aren't trading (insert any of them here).

I know Loomis and the staff will find gems and bring them in at every position. Hopefully we'll discover an actual diamond at one position or another. It does happen now and then. If a RB has real confidence in hinself, I don't see why he wouldn't want to sign with the Saints over a team like the Texans, etc. who have a certified star who's not going anywhere no matter how good the UDFA may be.

With the exception of Ingram, our success at RB and depth at the position have been filled by undrafted players over the last 5 years (Thomas, Ivory, Mike Bell, Joique Bell, Lynell Hamilton, Cadet). I never understood why we get so emotionally attached to them thinking that they're above criticism, untouchable, or can't be replaced the same way that we acquired them. It's very rare you'll find a undrafted player at RB that'll have a stabled, successful pro life span longer than 4-5 years or possess an elite skillset that was passed on during the draft without them having durability issues like Ivory. The RB's we have were undrafted for reason. I'm not sure why we frown at discussing the possibility of adding undrafted players at RB or at any position in general because they can end up being starters or key contributors just like the undrafted players we currently have

:scratch: Did I somehow miss all of our running backs setting the world on fire, making the Pro Bowl, or for that matter, any of them even producing more than 1 personal 100+ yard game this season (PT had 1, no one else had any)?

I know we feel pretty good about these guys, but the fact is if we found a true diamond in the FA rough, the starting job could be had easily. Look at Arian Foster, he was a UDFA. Sure, he's the exception, but that's the point. If we bring in a guy and he proves to be the exception, we aren't sitting on anyone who's an entrenched star player at RB. Heck, every one of them has been bashed somewhat mercilessly on this board during the season and people have even questioned why we haven't/aren't trading (insert any of them here).

I know Loomis and the staff will find gems and bring them in at every position. Hopefully we'll discover an actual diamond at one position or another. It does happen now and then. If a RB has real confidence in hinself, I don't see why he wouldn't want to sign with the Saints over a team like the Texans, etc. who have a certified star who's not going anywhere no matter how good the UDFA may be.

Arian Foster agreed in principle to sign with us and then changed his mind and signed with Houston.

Most UDFA will go where they have the best chance of making the final roster. I just don't think we have an attractive situation from their point of view.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom