NFL Draft Kenneth Murray LB Oklahoma (1 Viewer)

I've watched a few game tapes on Murray... he's a guy I'm not sold on. I question the Play diagnosing, and Instinct side of his game. Yes he's explosive, and fast going in a straight line... and he's a heat seeking missile tracking down a Running back right in front of him... but his aggressiveness led him to over-pursue and overrun a lot of plays as well; and he's also not great laterally, change of direction wise.

Also he has questionable Coverage skills, he has 0 career Interceptions, and only 6 Pass Defenses in 3 seasons as a starter, playing in the Big 12 where they pass a lot.

If we're dead-set to go Linebacker in Round 1 I'd prefer Patrick Queen, even though he has less starting experience I think he has a more natural feel for the position and better instincts.

Sounds like you described Stephon Anthony....he was the same way.

Pretty much agree 100. Just to add to the problem solving point, I don't know if this was because of Oklahoma's Defensive scheme but he mostly exclusively keyed on focusing on the QB, and RB (Backfield) entirely in pre-snap and post-snap.... he never really showed the consistent ability to Read Offensive Line blocking schemes, to read a pulling Guard, or wide zone or split flow zone concepts. Which is why he will most likely struggle in year 1 if you're Drafting him and asking him to take over as a starting MIKE and direct the Defense right away as a Rookie.

It's funny that you brought up Stephone Anthony.. that was two NFL Scouts direct comp for Murray; people forget how explosive Anthony was at Clemson playing a straight line.. it was the instincts, and coverage awareness part of the game that he never fully developed.

Which is why I would be wary to take Murray late 1st, I see him as more of a 2nd rounder in terms of his polish.

I prefer Queen but If the Saints were interested in Jamie Collins, a guy with a similar skillset that has been mentioned is Zach Baun who could be a stand-up SAM in base downs, and give you edge rush versatility on 3rd downs.

A guy not a lot of people are talking about is Wyoming, Linebacker Logan Wilson. The Saints have dipped into the Wyoming program recently with (Granderson) Wilson was a 3 year Defensive captain, and his best trait is play diagnosing. He really shows a lot of natural ability to play the Linebacker position, he reads plays between the tackles consistently and shows really good flow and gap discipline to mirror rushers and not get out of his gap to give them cutback opportunities. I really was reminded of Leighton Vander-Esch when watching Wilson. I think he can be your true MIKE option, and he's probably there in Round 3.
I was recently turned on to Baun and he fits a rookie Von Miller type player. Base Sam - 3rd down rusher/sub rusher. I like him...plays nasty but also looks good in space

I've been crushing hard on Akeem Davis Gaither for a while now. He certainly wouldn't be a replacement for Klein at SAM, but would be an excellent WILL backup for Demario and get some action on 3rd downs. ADG is crazy athletic with impressive bend around the edge and looks comfortable dropping into zones and closing off checkdowns into the flat. Not as decorated as Jaylon Smith coming out a few years ago (before his freak injury), but has some very similar traits and intriguing pass rush ability. There's a slim chance he could still be there in the 3rd. If he is, I sure hope we take a shot on him.

The more I watch Murray and queen I’ll take queen. He reminds me of Vilma
Common thread I've seen in a lot of the reports and even in the handful of vids I've watched is he isn't always the fastest to react. Both can run almost any play down. But Queen reads and reacts better. And seems to be better in coverage.

I think both will be awesome. But I just really like Queen.

In that linked video, Murray has elite instincts when he's not being asked to both spy the QB and cover the RB out of the flat. It kind of goes against everything you guys are saying. Once he was able to rely on his instincts in the second game against Baylor he was a freaking animal.

The guy is a leader on and off the field as well, I think he's 100% the kind of person that Payton loves going after in the draft. I'm all in on Murray, unfortunately I don't think he'll be there at 24.

Me and you have had our differences in the past but these right here brought a tear to my eye. I scouted him a couple of days ago and got the same take on him verbatim. I am a LSU fan and their defense was trash last year, I don't want anybody from that defense but i would take Zach Braun (dude lives in the back field). Great Post my guy.

Actually the defense wasn't trash last year. Against LSU, yeah it looked that way. I think missing our starting DE and Safety was a huge difference than people thought.

The defense was vastly improved from two years ago. But was it playoff worthy? No
Other than the LSU game, the times OU defense look weak was when the offense went to sleep and didn't score points for long periods of time. I love Jalen but he was part of the problem too.

Big fan of Troy Dye and Zack Baun, but another dude who would be a great fit on D would be Logan Wilson from Wyoming. I love the IQ and read/react skills he displays on film. LOVE the positional versatility, too. This dude can ball! Plus, he tested well and solidified his athletic ability at the Combine. Wouldnt mind seeing us draft Baun at 24, but I'm not 100 on Queen and not a fan of Murray at all in the 1st RD. If we go a different direction on Day 1, I'd would love to us either nab Dye or Logan Wilson at some point on Day 2.

Logan Wilson at 88 would be a steal. Doubting he falls that far, but the Saints are never afraid to trade up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom