NFL Draft Kenneth Murray LB Oklahoma (1 Viewer)

Murray would be great with Davis in nickel!

The SAM position is a part time role in the Saints defense. I think Kiko can do just fine in that limited role to keep him healthy.

I've watched him as well. Fast guy moving forward but the stinch of Stephone Anthony makes me weary of guys who are obviously hidden in the passing game. He's blitzed more often than not and doesn't appear to be a guy who can problem solve on the field - so they make it easy for him by saying - GO HUNT on arguably the most important down's in FB - 3rd down.

That is a huge red flag for me. I'd prefer Pat Queen - A guy you can see directing the defense on the field + sliding Anzalone over to the Sam spot (his college position) and strengthening the defense that way.

All the speed in the world don't mean anything if you go the wrong direction and take yourself out of the play before it starts.
Pretty much agree 100. Just to add to the problem solving point, I don't know if this was because of Oklahoma's Defensive scheme but he mostly exclusively keyed on focusing on the QB, and RB (Backfield) entirely in pre-snap and post-snap.... he never really showed the consistent ability to Read Offensive Line blocking schemes, to read a pulling Guard, or wide zone or split flow zone concepts. Which is why he will most likely struggle in year 1 if you're Drafting him and asking him to take over as a starting MIKE and direct the Defense right away as a Rookie.

It's funny that you brought up Stephone Anthony.. that was two NFL Scouts direct comp for Murray; people forget how explosive Anthony was at Clemson playing a straight line.. it was the instincts, and coverage awareness part of the game that he never fully developed.

Which is why I would be wary to take Murray late 1st, I see him as more of a 2nd rounder in terms of his polish.

I prefer Queen but If the Saints were interested in Jamie Collins, a guy with a similar skillset that has been mentioned is Zach Baun who could be a stand-up SAM in base downs, and give you edge rush versatility on 3rd downs.

A guy not a lot of people are talking about is Wyoming, Linebacker Logan Wilson. The Saints have dipped into the Wyoming program recently with (Granderson) Wilson was a 3 year Defensive captain, and his best trait is play diagnosing. He really shows a lot of natural ability to play the Linebacker position, he reads plays between the tackles consistently and shows really good flow and gap discipline to mirror rushers and not get out of his gap to give them cutback opportunities. I really was reminded of Leighton Vander-Esch when watching Wilson. I think he can be your true MIKE option, and he's probably there in Round 3.

I didn’t realize he lacked in the instincts department. Hard pass then!

I've watched him as well. Fast guy moving forward but the stinch of Stephone Anthony makes me weary of guys who are obviously hidden in the passing game. He's blitzed more often than not and doesn't appear to be a guy who can problem solve on the field - so they make it easy for him by saying - GO HUNT on arguably the most important down's in FB - 3rd down.

That is a huge red flag for me. I'd prefer Pat Queen - A guy you can see directing the defense on the field + sliding Anzalone over to the Sam spot (his college position) and strengthening the defense that way.

All the speed in the world don't mean anything if you go the wrong direction and take yourself out of the play before it starts.

Me and you have had our differences in the past but these right here brought a tear to my eye. I scouted him a couple of days ago and got the same take on him verbatim. I am a LSU fan and their defense was trash last year, I don't want anybody from that defense but i would take Zach Braun (dude lives in the back field). Great Post my guy.

Me and you have had our differences in the past but these right here brought a tear to my eye. I scouted him a couple of days ago and got the same take on him verbatim. I am a LSU fan and their defense was trash last year, I don't want anybody from that defense but i would take Zach Braun (dude lives in the back field). Great Post my guy.
I think I really like Zack Baun. He seems to fit the Jamie Collins/Clay Mathews mold of versatile LB I've always wanted for our defense. He seems like he can play alongside Davis, while also being a legitimate threat off the edge.

The more I watch Murray and queen I’ll take queen. He reminds me of Vilma

Maybe all the day drinking from working at home is contributing to this, but my dream draft pick would be a Davenport-like trade up for Isiah Simmons since this offseason seems to show they're going all in for one last ride with Drew. But I think Murray would be a great secondary choice.

Really starting to hope we go with a LB at 24. I like both Murray and Queen but that decision will probably be made for us with one or possibly both going before we pick. An underrated aspect of these linebackers in my opinion is their blitzing ability. Murray did a lot of edge rushing and has good size. Queen is a little undersized but really fast so he would more be shooting the gaps. The more options we have on defense to bring pressure makes it harder for the opposing QB to predict. Everything considered I think I would prefer Murray because he has far more experience whereas Queen has only been great his last year.

My idea is the sign Clay Matthews (8 sacks last yr) and draft Justin Jefferson in rd 1, CB rd3, LB rd4, BPA final 2 draft picks. Just picturing Clay Matthews rushing the passer next to Cam Jordan makes your secondary alot better and the offense would not stale anymore. With all the weapons now when AK41 lines up at WR he will have LBs and Safeties on him again instead on CB2/3s. You become dare i say a COMPLETE TEAM. *EXHALES*
I’m totally in on this

I think I really like Zack Baun. He seems to fit the Jamie Collins/Clay Mathews mold of versatile LB I've always wanted for our defense. He seems like he can play alongside Davis, while also being a legitimate threat off the edge.
Yah but our team never drafts guys like this ever. Let bud dupree go one year. Coulda been the peat yr maybe

Yah but our team never drafts guys like this ever. Let bud dupree go one year. Coulda been the peat yr maybe
We just went after Jamie Collins in free agency. Collins and Chris Harris Jr are the two big names we didn't land. If they had a place for Collins on the defense, then Baun should fit in just fine.

Linebacker may be the priority as we speak right now. So it's worth to take a look a the prospects.

I love Murray and would not be mad if we take him, the only problem is that he is very similar to Davis. Maybe we need a bigger man to play the SAM.

And according to Daniel Jeremiah, Zach Baun of Wisconsin can do well everything that Kyle Van Noy does. He actually thinks he is ideally the best pick for the patriots.

I wonder if he would not be a better option to replace Klein. He is bigger then Murray, he can blitz and cover.

How is Murray being similar to Davis a problem? Davis is one of the best players on the team. I'd take 3 Davis' if I could get it :cool:

Big fan of Troy Dye and Zack Baun, but another dude who would be a great fit on D would be Logan Wilson from Wyoming. I love the IQ and read/react skills he displays on film. LOVE the positional versatility, too. This dude can ball! Plus, he tested well and solidified his athletic ability at the Combine. Wouldnt mind seeing us draft Baun at 24, but I'm not 100 on Queen and not a fan of Murray at all in the 1st RD. If we go a different direction on Day 1, I'd would love to us either nab Dye or Logan Wilson at some point on Day 2.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom