Kenny Stills and Malcolm Roach Waived (1 Viewer)

Look who he’s had passing to him and under what circumstances. Semien was under duress, and Hill threw more completed passes to defenders than teammates.
Oh, I don't doubt that's part of it, but his is by far the worst ratio, even compared to his teammates. He was playing terrible and dropped some easy ones in addition to a few tough ones.

Oh, I don't doubt that's part of it, but his is by far the worst ratio, even compared to his teammates. He was playing terrible and dropped some easy ones in addition to a few tough ones.
His teammates have a better rapport with the QBs, especially Semien, because they are getting more reps in practice. Remember, if the vets are having season lows, surely the newbies are failing even worse. But Payton and company are trying everything they can. Notice how Payton protected Hill after that disaster Thursday night?

I think Harris and Callaway are decent #2/3 or #3/4 on a team with a star #1. The problem with our WR's is that they can't perform without that #1 WR and a TE that threatens the defense. I'm beginning to think that we need to prioritize the TE position over the WR position in the draft/FA next year.

His teammates have a better rapport with the QBs, especially Semien, because they are getting more reps in practice. Remember, if the vets are having season lows, surely the newbies are failing even worse. But Payton and company are trying everything they can. Notice how Payton protected Hill after that disaster Thursday night?
All I know is Stills has had better days and he's fallen off a cliff this season. There's a reason he was cut. It makes sense.

As for the lack rapport with the QBs, that's not unexpected. But I trust Payton to do what he thinks is best for the team. He won't always get it right, but he's usually solid in that respect.

All I know is Stills has had better days and he's fallen off a cliff this season. There's a reason he was cut. It makes sense.

As for the lack rapport with the QBs, that's not unexpected. But I trust Payton to do what he thinks is best for the team. He won't always get it right, but he's usually solid in that respect.
By the way, before Winston went out, the current QBs weren’t getting many if any reps either the WRs. And Payton’s weekly plans included a heavy dose of only Calloway, Trautman, and Harris, with passes out of the backfield to AK41 occasionally.

Every healthy WR on the Saints’ roster right now besides Deonte Harris and Marquez Callaway needs to be upgraded via free-agency or the draft.

They need Michael Thomas back healthy, and 2 additional WRs.. that are good enough to bump Harris and Callaway down to at least the #3 and #4 spots on the pecking order
I would say Deonte is the only one worth keeping TODAY. I think Callaway has a future, but it's not certain. We can't him to be more than the 3rd or 4th option. He is just not getting open.

Part of the problem is that he has playing several receiver roles in Sean's offense because of injuries. Next year he should concentrate on mastering one role (Meachem's?) and do it with consistency.

I like the move of letting Stills walk and I hope Payton give a couple young guys some reps (like the 7th rounder that we drafted... name escapes me).

But I won't pile on Stills and his catch rate because Stills was asked to make more contested catches down the field. Guys like Lil Jordan is running crosses and hooks... he's not running the same routes that Stills runs. Stills is the "clear-out" guy (ala Devery and Meach in their day) in Payton's system. His passes are down the field and more contested.

He didn't make those catches, and the reason may be he's not able to separate down the field. I don't know. At any rate... let's see what the youngins can do.

I would say Deonte is the only one worth keeping TODAY. I think Callaway has a future, but it's not certain. We can't him to be more than the 3rd or 4th option. He is just not getting open.

Part of the problem is that he has playing several receiver roles in Sean's offense because of injuries. Next year he should concentrate on mastering one role (Meachem's?) and do it with consistency.
Meachem was a speed demon. Calloway is not. He’s better suited for the Colston role with his body size and knack for going up and grabbing the ball out of the air, the way Payton used him with Brees.

By the way, before Winston went out, the current QBs weren’t getting many if any reps either the WRs. And Payton’s weekly plans included a heavy dose of only Calloway, Trautman, and Harris, with passes out of the backfield to AK41 occasionally.

I mean, none of them were really any better with Winston playing. I'm sure some of it could be due to lack of perfect QB play, but we have all seen many balls hit WRs in the hands and be dropped. That was particularly true in the Atlanta game and true in most games for Stills and White. TQS has actually caught the ball pretty well. Problem is that he is really a #4 WR who can block. Callaway has frankly been disappointing to me. He's caught the ball fine, but he isn't getting any separation.

Harris has been the best of the bunch but at his size he's limited in the routes he can run and the number of reps he can take. Yes the QB play should be better, but this team really probably needs to add two WRs that are upgrades over TQS and Callaway. That, of course, assumed Michael Thomas will be back next year. If he's not, WR becomes an even bigger priority.

Despite your facepalm, it’s true.

Yes, they didn't have Brees throwing to them, but the QB play was more than good enough when Winston played and they were dropping passes and not getting separation for him. Maybe some of it is down to QB play, but the vast majority of the issues at WR are that these guys just aren't talented enough to get separation and that makes the throws and catches much harder. If you can't see that our WR play has been terrible outside of Harris, I don't know what to tell you.

Other than Stills all these guys had training camp to get reps with the QBs and reps were being split between Winston and Hill due to the QB competition. And, even Stills joined the team on September 13. That's not time to develop a Brees/Colston or Brees/Thomas level of comfort, but it's enough time to get some level of comfort. And frankly, the lack of chemistry doesn't explain the vast majority of the drops, the lack of separation, or the fact that none of our current WRs seem to know what to do when the QB scrambles out of the pocket.

Callaway is definitely worth keeping. The talent is there, the supporting cast is not. He’s a young player who has been thrust into a bigger role than he can handle right now. He’ll likely only get better and his production will increase.

Lance Moore was a fourth year pro before he really put it together. Callaway has already posted better numbers in his second season (compared to Moore’s 2nd season with the Saints), without a prime Brees throwing to him, with five games left. He’s averaging 14.6 y/r and has 6 TDs. Those are promising numbers to build on.

Stills getting cut is a big surprise. I couldn’t believe he made it through Monday without getting cut.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom