Kenny Stills and Malcolm Roach Waived (1 Viewer)

Have you watched him in the games? Did you watch preseason? He cannot catch. Balls hit him in the hands and he routinely drops them. He has had some issues on some routes as well. He does a decent job on special teams, but is not worthy of a roster spot. Why force feed a 29 year old bad player? He is not a player that is young and developing at this point. Just like Stills, he is pretty much done.

Yes, I have watched him. And 5 pass attempts, possibly none that were easy catches (going by memory) because they were all down the field. That's just not enough for me. The two slants in the preseason were terrible drops but he literally just joined the team and I'm sure he was pressing too much, as he probably thought he needed to make a splash to just make the final roster. Possibly the only chance he was going to get.

I know that sounds like excuses, but outside his first year on the Bears, he has never had even 10 passes thrown his way in a single season. That's simply not "plenty" of chances. So why force feed him? Why not? Where is this offense going that you can't afford to throw even 6 passes his way in a game? They threw 22 to Stills in total and 5 to White. This offense isn't good and the team is likely to miss the playoffs so you might as well try something instead of sticking to what hasn't worked.

Now, maybe the most damning thing against White - it's definitely not his two preseason drops or his drops so far this regular season - is that he was cut by the Bears, Cardinals, and 49ers. And now on the Saints it seems he really hasn't made enough of an impression for them to think they have to get him the ball. So possibly in practice, when he's got the coaches eyes on him, he's simply not impressing. Might very well be true, and this might be his biggest issue. But I'd still like to see a half dozen or more passes thrown his way in a game. I'd tell him to relax, we'll get the ball to you a bunch of times, and if you drop passes guess what? We'll still throw to you. Try it for a few games and see how he does. If it's drop city then cut him and don't sign him again.

But for this to work, if it has even a slight chance, you clearly have to throw him higher percentage passes and try to have him relax and not worry about dropping the ball (which all WRs in the NFL do, on pretty much a weekly basis).

I just don't get why teams sign a guy like White, with his pedigree, to not throw to him and play him on special teams, all while throwing it over and over again to guys we all know aren't ever going to be great.

Im not even sure you bring back Callaway he has been terrible since the Washington game. In 7 games he has 183 yards recieving and has caught only 15/34 passes.
I'd keep TQS over Calloway if it was about keeping one over the other. Calloway is not a bad player but he can't beat press coverage or has the speed to separate. TQS is quicker, better hands and runs better routes he already has as many receptions and yards as Calloway and he missed the first half of the season.

I'd keep TQS over Calloway if it was about keeping one over the other. Calloway is not a bad player but he can't beat press coverage or has the speed to separate. TQS is quicker, better hands and runs better routes he already has as many receptions and yards as Calloway and he missed the first half of the season.
Your opinion.

So they dropped Stills for dropping passes, but resigned White?

"If we keep digging, we'll get out of this hole eventually!!!".
They happen to play the same position, but I think White is being brought back because at least he contributes on special teams.

Callaway isn’t a burner, but most receivers aren’t. Straight line speed isn’t an issue. His 40 time puts him right there with Thomas, Colston, Moore, and Snead - all players who were productive (even exceptional) for the Saints.

That isn’t to say he will excel at the finer points of the position like those players did, but I don’t think there are significant physical limitations to his development.

Yes, I have watched him. And 5 pass attempts, possibly none that were easy catches (going by memory) because they were all down the field. That's just not enough for me. The two slants in the preseason were terrible drops but he literally just joined the team and I'm sure he was pressing too much, as he probably thought he needed to make a splash to just make the final roster. Possibly the only chance he was going to get.

I know that sounds like excuses, but outside his first year on the Bears, he has never had even 10 passes thrown his way in a single season. That's simply not "plenty" of chances. So why force feed him? Why not? Where is this offense going that you can't afford to throw even 6 passes his way in a game? They threw 22 to Stills in total and 5 to White. This offense isn't good and the team is likely to miss the playoffs so you might as well try something instead of sticking to what hasn't worked.

Now, maybe the most damning thing against White - it's definitely not his two preseason drops or his drops so far this regular season - is that he was cut by the Bears, Cardinals, and 49ers. And now on the Saints it seems he really hasn't made enough of an impression for them to think they have to get him the ball. So possibly in practice, when he's got the coaches eyes on him, he's simply not impressing. Might very well be true, and this might be his biggest issue. But I'd still like to see a half dozen or more passes thrown his way in a game. I'd tell him to relax, we'll get the ball to you a bunch of times, and if you drop passes guess what? We'll still throw to you. Try it for a few games and see how he does. If it's drop city then cut him and don't sign him again.

But for this to work, if it has even a slight chance, you clearly have to throw him higher percentage passes and try to have him relax and not worry about dropping the ball (which all WRs in the NFL do, on pretty much a weekly basis).

I just don't get why teams sign a guy like White, with his pedigree, to not throw to him and play him on special teams, all while throwing it over and over again to guys we all know aren't ever going to be great.
I agree. You make some good points. We should get him more involved in the offense. He just may turn out to be a serviceable WR for the offense. I believe the more he is involved the more he might get comfortable in the offense and make some plays. I'm still pulling for White.

Apparently Stills only caught 5 of 22 targets so I think you are spot on.

7 WRs have 98 catches out of 190 attempts between them.
Michael Thomas had 185 targets from 3 different QBs in 2019 and caught 149 of them. It's clear that after Thomas, no other receiver on our roster can come even half close to his production. This makes the case for building quality depth at receiver high in the draft.

7 WRs have 98 catches out of 190 attempts between them.
Michael Thomas had 185 targets from 3 different QBs in 2019 and caught 149 of them. It's clear that after Thomas, no other receiver on our roster can come even half close to his production. This makes the case for building quality depth at receiver high in the draft.
We prioritized the lines and defense but clearly overvalued our WR group while Drew was here. MT basically made everyone else look better than they are.

We don’t know what will happen between Calloway and Winston. They were developing great rapport. Each QB has WRs that they are comfortable with. Semien and Hill didn’t have the time to develop that comfort zone. That’s not on the receivers though. I think Calloway will be fine in this system once Jameis comes back and they have a better off-season.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the rapport between a WR and a QB makes a WR that much better. I think it's a marginal improvement that helps in the fine margins, but first you need a WR that can run good routes and get separation. At this point, I think Callaway isn't there yet as far as running perfect routes and getting separation. He may get there, and rapport with a QB can help, but in the end he just has to improve his technique so he can run better routes and create separation.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the rapport between a WR and a QB makes a WR that much better. I think it's a marginal improvement that helps in the fine margins, but first you need a WR that can run good routes and get separation. At this point, I think Callaway isn't there yet as far as running perfect routes and getting separation. He may get there, and rapport with a QB can help, but in the end he just has to improve his technique so he can run better routes and create separation.
Are you a wide receiver or wide receiver coach? This is all speculation, as are my comments.

Last edited:
Are you a wide receiver or wide receiver coach? This is all speculation, as are my comments.

I believe that's why I said "Maybe I'm wrong . . .", "I don't think. . .", and "I think . . .". But anyway, it's based on what I have observed with Callaway, what I have observed with WR/QB play in general, and what I THINK based on those observations. As I said, I could be wrong and that is obviously due to the fact that I am not a WR, I am not a WR coach, and even WRs and WR coaches get stuff wrong too.

But, I didn't think it was really necessary to include all of those caveats when posting on this board.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom