Kenny Vaccaro facing 4-game suspension for Adderall (1 Viewer)

Man, the assumptions and "experts" in this thread are unreal....

1st off just because the media and NFL leak are saying adderall doesn't necessarily mean he took adderall it means he took some sort of dextroamphetamine.

I'm sure he knows that adderall is banned, but while with a friend he was feeling tired and said friend said here these wake me up all the time, don't worry it's a prescription med. which turned out to be some sort of variance of dextroamphetamine.

Now was it stupid? Yeah. Did he learn a lesson the hard way? Yeah. But it doesn't mean he went and bought some adderall knowing it was a banned substance and took it anyways.

It was beyond stupid. He hurt his career and earnings potential for a stupid pill? It makes me wonder about his judgment and priorities in general.

You ever been at a friends house and gotten a migraine? Ever asked for something to help it out and not cared what it was as long as it made it stop (I'm extremely paranoid but I understand the thought process)?

I'm just trying to bring up the angle that he may have taken something a friend gave him thinking it was just a caffeine pill or something "hey bro this will wake you up, it's legal I have a prescription".

My point is that none of us know the circumstances surrounding this event.

Aside from all of that, have any of you been on a college campus recently? Try and find someone that hasn't taken adderall to focus for a midterm.
Not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's a part of our culture that I think people really turn a blind eye to. When I was a kid they were handing out Ridallen and Adderall like it was candy at schools because the teachers had no idea how to keep the attention of their students.

1st off just because the media and NFL leak are saying adderall doesn't necessarily mean he took adderall it means he took some sort of dextroamphetamine.

I'm sure he knows that adderall is banned, but while with a friend he was feeling tired and said friend said here these wake me up all the time, don't worry it's a prescription med. which turned out to be some sort of variance of dextroamphetamine.

Now was it stupid? Yeah. Did he learn a lesson the hard way? Yeah. But it doesn't mean he went and bought some adderall knowing it was a banned substance and took it anyways.

You're right. Just bc the media says it, doesn't mean he took adderall. Unfortunately, however, his interview corroborates the story, as he refers to it himself as adderall numerous times, rather than a "form of dextroamphetimine".

I didn't read anything pertaining to how he got the pill, be it branded by Adderall or not. I didn't see anything in the interview, though I could have missed it.

I'm no expert on events, nor thoughts, taken place outside my physical presence. But personally, I find the concept of his explanation, and yours to be unbelievable. To be a professional athlete who's career is hell bent on monitoring what goes in the body, and employed by those who consistently monitor what comes out of it, I find it naive to believe "Here, try this pill. Don't worry, it's a prescription medication" would convince a professional athlete, without said prescription from taking it. It defies common sense, especially when taking unprescribed prescription meds is taboo to begin with, regardless of profession or contract, and with an abundance of obvious, available alternatives to staying awake to boot. To not ask said friend what exactly is in that pill and what it equates to (he should know if it's his prescription med) is stupid. To take any unknown pill in his situation is stupid. To not just get an energy drink, coffee, Coke, sugary snack, or small meal is stupid. That's just way too much stupid in one place, and I hesitate to believe Vacarro would be that thoughtless. And if he is, the door to speculation is a big one.

You're right. Just bc the media says it, doesn't mean he took adderall. Unfortunately, however, his interview corroborates the story, as he refers to it himself as adderall numerous times, rather than a "form of dextroamphetimine".

I didn't read anything pertaining to how he got the pill, be it branded by Adderall or not. I didn't see anything in the interview, though I could have missed it.

I'm no expert on events, nor thoughts, taken place outside my physical presence. But personally, I find the concept of his explanation, and yours to be unbelievable. To be a professional athlete who's career is hell bent on monitoring what goes in the body, and employed by those who consistently monitor what comes out of it, I find it naive to believe "Here, try this pill. Don't worry, it's a prescription medication" would convince a professional athlete, without said prescription from taking it. It defies common sense, especially when taking unprescribed prescription meds is taboo to begin with, regardless of profession or contract, and with an abundance of obvious, available alternatives to staying awake to boot. To not ask said friend what exactly is in that pill and what it equates to (he should know if it's his prescription med) is stupid. To take any unknown pill in his situation is stupid. To not just get an energy drink, coffee, Coke, sugary snack, or small meal is stupid. That's just way too much stupid in one place, and I hesitate to believe Vacarro would be that thoughtless. And if he is, the door to speculation is a big one.

All we can do is hope he learned his lesson and knowing that this isn't a repeat incident, allow him to show us he's capable of taking his punishment and not do it again.

I still think it's funny that the league and fans get bent out of shape over things like this but could care less that these players are fed opioids daily.

All we can do is hope he learned his lesson and knowing that this isn't a repeat incident, allow him to show us he's capable of taking his punishment and not do it again.

I still think it's funny that the league and fans get bent out of shape over things like this but could care less that these players are fed opioids daily.

Agreed and agreed. I really like him as a football player. He's a total bad***, and a great locker room leader for the defense. The longer he is available to play, the better. And I'd prefer this incident over many other types of concerns.

I too think that opioids should be limited, as I've seen the effects of post surgery addictions, particularly among friends who've shown susceptibility to addictions in general.

The concern for me isn't laced in that he took adderall, as I've grown within that culture. I'm 24, and just graduated from college 2 years ago, and still take visits to my fraternity and friends. It's commonplace, though I'd still venture to say it's still pretty easy to find students who don't use it for midterms. Maybe 30% of my friends and brothers had tried it at least once (thanks to two fraternity brothers who sold their prescribed ADHD pills), and that's after 2 years in a private engineering institution and 2 years in a liberal arts college (trimesters at both schools were very taxing), with other friends attending public state universities. My concern, rather, is in how he claims for it to have happened. I've made mistakes, many of which fell well short of intelligence. But in those instances, I was at least still smart enough to tell the story in a way that made me come out as honest, humble, and smarter than the decision. He's got the humble part down, so hopefully if he's being completely honest, he quickly becomes smarter than the decision.

Every person caught taking a banned drug never intended to take the drug. A friend gave it to them. They didn't know what it was. It was an accident.

He's a professional athlete with millions of dollars and his reputation at stake. I believe it was an accident with Vaccaro as much as I believe it was an accident with every other NFL player that was caught.

"Don't worry it's a prescription med". I do worry. If it wasn't prescribed to me I don't take it. It's not that hard. If you REALLY need it, there are plenty of 24 hour urgent care centers where a licensed doctor can determine if it's a need and prescribe something safe and within the NFL guidelines.

Didn't Richard Sherman do the same thing? And Wes Welker? Not a big deal as long as he doesn't keep doing it. I have the feeling he is a Sherman/Welker/Mathieu, not a Gordon/Gregory/Galette. Bell and Blount are both doing alright too (at the moment at least), and I think both have multiple incidents.

Sherman appealed and won... no suspension in his case.

Browner, otoh, served his and missed the 2013 playoffs and SB (but also hurt iirc).

Do you have an RSS feed-type app that alerts you when the Seahawks are mentioned on any forum? :hihi:

Excuses, excuses. No excuses.

Adderall is only considered as a PED during the season. If a player is caught during the off season using it is considered to be a substance abuse violation. It was changed to this a couple of years ago when the league and union agreed to make some changes to the policies regarding substance abuse and PED's. My guess is that Vacarro had heard that Adderall was changed to a "substance abuse" violation and as such is treated as if he smoked a joint. The first time a player is caught for weed or amphetamines has only a punishment of extra testing for 6 months or so. A 2nd offense is a fine and the 3rd starts the suspension's. However, under the PED policy a first time offense is an automatic 4 game suspension. Vacarro likely didn't realize that Adderall is still considered a PED if taken during the season and as such took it. Did he deserve the suspension? ABSOLUTELY. If he didn't know then he has no one to blame but himself, his agent, and the NFLPA.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom