Kentucky Derby Winner Disqualified, 65-1 Shot Declared Winner (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

Dreaming of a SAINTS Super Bowl!
Reaction score
For the first time in the history of the race, the winner of Kentucky derby was disqualified Saturday after review showed the horse changed lane and illegally impeded another horse at the top of the final stretch. On a very muddy track in a hard rain, Maximum Security crossed the finish line without a speck of mud on horse or jockey after what seemed to be a perfect wire-to wire run. But it was not to be.

My wife was on the thoroughbred racing circuit as an assistant trainer for a few years, so the Derby is a big deal in our house every year. She strongly disagreed with the disqualification.

"This is like the Saints no-call, but they made the call and it was the wrong one!" she said.

See the mud on the other horses and none on Maximum Security? He was in the lead, coming around the final turn and the roar of the crowd made him shift outward in front of another horse. You can barely see that horse's nose under the #20 horse's muzzle above.

My wife was on the thoroughbred racing circuit as an assistant trainer for a few years, so the Derby is a big deal in our house every year. She strongly disagreed with the disqualification.

"This is like the Saints no-call, but they made the call and it was the wrong one!" she said.

1557018011579.png

See the mud on the other horses and none on Maximum Security? He was in the lead, coming around the final turn and the roar of the crowd made him shift outward in front of another horse. You can barely see that horse's nose under the #20 horse's muzzle above.
I have to disagree. It was the right call. Rules are in place for safety reasons and maximum security could’ve caused a few horses to fall. You can’t shift 3 lanes and impede 3 different horses paths. If any of those horses had fallen it would’ve been catastrophic with 15 horses behind the spill and no where to get out the way.
By not making the DQ the stewards would be inviting aggressive race riding which the sport is trying to get rid of.
Maximum security was the best horse today and it’s a shame he got DQ’ed but it was the correct call. If he goes to the Preakness I have no doubt he will be the favorite.

I have to disagree. It was the right call. Rules are in place for safety reasons and maximum security could’ve caused a few horses to fall. You can’t shift 3 lanes and impede 3 different horses paths. If any of those horses had fallen it would’ve been catastrophic with 15 horses behind the spill and no where to get out the way.
By not making the DQ the stewards would be inviting aggressive race riding which the sport is trying to get rid of.
Super dangerous for the horses and jockeys. He nearly clipped the #1 horse's feet. That would have been a disaster. Only the jockey knows if it was truly the crowd or not but it doesn't matter. It happened and it was the right DQ.

You can’t shift 3 lanes and impede 3 different horses paths. If any of those horses had fallen it would’ve been catastrophic with 15 horses behind the spill and no where to get out the way.

Yep, right call on this one. Still hard to believe they gave the win knowing the payouts coming.

Yep, right call on this one. Still hard to believe they gave the win knowing the payouts coming.
The track doesn’t care about the payouts. Their take is the exact same no matter who wins.
The IRS is happy because there were many mandatory withholdings from winning tickets I’m sure. :sneaky:

Super dangerous for the horses and jockeys. He nearly clipped the #1 horse's feet. That would have been a disaster. Only the jockey knows if it was truly the crowd or not but it doesn't matter. It happened and it was the right DQ.
In the initial moments after the race, during the first interview, Maximum Security's jock did say that his horse had reacted to the sudden increase in crowd noise in Turn 4 but he caught him and straightened him out.

I can certainly see what you and Rob are saying. I can also see why my wife said she didn't like the call, too. Everybody agrees that Maximum Security was clearly the better horse. Yes, it's a shame. No way Country House wins the Preakness.

Say, did y'all see that Japanese-owned horse at the start? Good grief, he took a sharp turn and almost caused a pileup right at the start.

I never thought they'd do it; but after taking so long, you could tell it was coming. I always watch but I'm always so conflicted. I have always loved horses and racing is about the beauty of watching a horse run ... but it's also about the business. Barbaro broke my heart.

?Barbaro broke all of our hearts, Marsha. ?

Today's full race.

Breaking down the disqualification.

That was a tough call to make but I believe was correct. While watching the stretch run I figured there would be an objection.

next year's derby will require turn signals on the horses
Turn Signals

About the Kentucky State Horse Racing Commission Rules . . .

“A leading horse when clear is entitled to any part of the track,” the rule states. “Except in a straight-away racing, every horse must maintain position as nearly as possible in the lane in which it starts. If a leading horse, or any other horse in a race, swerves or is ridden to either side so as to interfere with or intimidate or impede any other horse or jockey, or to cause same, it is a foul; if a jockey strikes another horse or jockey, it is a foul. If in the opinion of the stewards, a foul alters the finish of a race, any offending horses may be disqualified by the stewards.”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom