Kentwan Balmer, DT UNC (1 Viewer)

JOElittleBIGhorn

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=33362

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_draft/Kentwan_Balmer.htm

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/balmer_kentwan00.html

I just wanted to throw out this guy's name for discussion since I haven't seen much of him here on the SSF. He's a strong, athletic DT who seems to be versatile enough to play inside or at DE. He switched to DT from DE after his sophomore campaign so he's got the ability to rush the passer. Could he be our inside disrupter? He looks to be a 2nd round prospect, though his stock is rising. From what I've seen, he's suited to play either the 3-4 or the 4-3. He's listed at 6-5 288lb so I would think he's got the frame to pack on a few pounds if needed. Anyone seen him play to give solid first hand insight?

Last edited:
Shamelessly bumping this back to the top after 2 weeks since ESPN's mock has us getting him and no one knows who the heck he is.

I'm swallowing a tremendous pill by saying this, but I wouldn't mind having him on the defense. If he can get up to like 300-305ish, I think he could be a force in the middle.

I just can't wait for the "Kentuan Palmer" threads though :hihi:

Good call... is he worth a #10? The thing about mocks is... these guys create these mock drafts purely on team need... and don't really put into consideration the guys the sign... its not even offseason yet and these guys are doing mocks... its waaaay too early for this.

We have hardly any CBs... no MLB... a gaping hole at LG and C... yet this guy says we'll reach and take a DT... when we have Hollis, Clancy, and Lake on the roster... and with the holes we have on defense... guys like Mike Jenkins, Phillips, Rivers... guys that we can actully use are still on the board... I'm not buying it.

He reminds me of Mario Williams in a lot of ways. Freakish athlete, very, very inconsistent in college.

I actually had us picking him in the 2nd round in my first mock, but he's going to move well into the first, especially after his workouts, which I expect to be pretty super.

But at 10? I would be really, really worried about that pick at 10.

The last thing we need is a 1st round player that doesn't play. We have higher priorities on defense (MLB, CB, OLB, and S). Our run D was very good last year. It was our pass D that sucked. We could also use a fast DE that can put pressure on the QB.

Mark Simoneau. Scott Shanle, Jason David, and Josh Bullcoks all need to be cut or at the very least on the bench next year. We need to target a very good player to replace one of these 4 with our 1st pick.

Another mock draft had this guy going to Buffalo at #11. Strange how he comes in out of nowhere to us amateurs.

The last thing we need is a 1st round player that doesn't play. We have higher priorities on defense (MLB, CB, OLB, and S). Our run D was very good last year. It was our pass D that sucked. We could also use a fast DE that can put pressure on the QB.

I think we could do a better job getting a pass rush up the middle and collapsing the pocket, which is hopefully what Balmer would be able to do for us. IMO it was that lack of pressure in the middle that led to our DE's not getting their usual sack numbers. He would help the run D yes, but he would also really give us a boost in getting to the quarterback which would hide our much maligned secondary.

He doesn't seem like the type of player that this Saints organization will target. Typically in the past 2 offseasons the current staff has gone for "producers" as opposed to "underachievers." Guys like Roman Harper and KK were drafted or brought in despite not having the flashy talent, and for the most part the inconsistent players have been avoided. I see the Saints looking elsewhere if the projected mock played out like it did through 9 picks.

I think the mock is more the result of Scouts, Inc. simply taking a need position and applying the best player at the position.

Honestly I know that DT is a need for the Saints but we have a stable full of undersized DTs. Clancy, Lake and Young are are all smaller DTs and so is Balmer.

What the Saints need is another big body like Hollis Thomas to play the NT spot when Hollis retires/passes on.

I don't want any if's and maybe's with this first round pick.

I don't want any if's and maybe's with this first round pick.

Exactly. The Saints need help NOW. Drew Brees, Reggie Bush, and Marques Colston are in place to give the offense some serious weapons. The front office needs to put the rest of the team together quickly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom