Kerry blasts Bill Clinton for 'abusing truth' (1 Viewer)

Consider: Obama beat Hillary rather handily in the rural parts of Nevada.

The race thing is no big deal in SC. But if Slick Willie adopts the whole "Well, what could we do? All the black folks voted for him" line, it may resonate in other parts of the country. The picture of Obama in Iowa with a bevy of white supporters was immensely powerful, but those images may be fading from peoples' memories. If voters start thinking it's mostly blacks who support him, it will feed into the lone negative perception amongst some that he lacks substance. He needs to recapture his fading transcendency, and fast.

I don't disagree with you on that. And I am also not following the race as close as others, so I don;t know what is going on behind the scenes with push polls, unidentified fliers, phone calls, etc where a lot of the "disinformation: and stuff happens - but from what I have heard/read I don;t see Bill or Hillary saying things that tend to marginalize Barack as THE black candidate.

I don't disagree with you on that. And I am also not following the race as close as others, so I don;t know what is going on behind the scenes with push polls, unidentified fliers, phone calls, etc where a lot of the "disinformation: and stuff happens - but from what I have heard/read I don;t see Bill or Hillary saying things that tend to marginalize Barack as THE black candidate.

The funny thing is, most of the black establishment in places like New York have gone for Hillary. The Harlem establishment, for instance, has gone for Hillary. This won't, however, change the perception coming out of South Carolina that Obama is the 'black' candidate.

I have been saying for a long time, to anyone who will listen, that I imagine the Obama campaign has a truly remarkable speech to deliver tomorrow night, assuming they win. It will be his platform to launch the national campaign. What has changed over the past week is that Obama will now be forced to portray Hillary as the candidate whom the American people cannot trust. I really think the race will come down to his speech tomorrow night. He's got to reach past indentity politics and really resonate with white voters. It will be his launching point. His main strength is his oratory ability, and he has got to deliver tomorrow night and convince white voters that he is not a 'black' candidate, and quite to the contrary he is a unifying candidate. He has pivoted recently towards painting Hillary as untrustworthy and if he wins tomorrow night he has to reinforce that message.

I have been saying for a long time, to anyone who will listen, that I imagine the Obama campaign has a truly remarkable speech to deliver tomorrow night, assuming they win. It will be his platform to launch the national campaign.

See my second post up. I agree 100%. He needs to hit an oratorical home run should he win tomorrow. I'm praying he does.

I am not even sure that the Clintons are doing it in South Carolina. The white, professional, upper-middle-class, affluent, urban, etc. voter that Obama appeals to are relatively few in number in the South (even in the bigger cities) and those that fit the bill are more likely to be or lean heavily towards Republicans. And I think you have a widespread view in the South, particularly by white male Democrats, that Obama and Hillary are unelectable, and I don;t think the recent acts of the Clintons have any bearing on that. You could have predicted weeks ago - with a good deal of justification - that blacks would break for Obama, that white women would break for Clinton, and that white men would break for Edwards in SC.

And let's not forget the "Bradley effect", where white voters say the politically correct thing to pollsters, then vote in stereotypical form when alone in the booth. The Iowa caucus forced voters to proclaim their preference in public, so Obama could benefit. In Nevada, where Edwards polled 4%, Hillary won easily. Edwards' voters would make Hillary their choice after he exits.

Should the Hildebeest 666 win the nomination, the fall election will be beyond ugly. Can't wait!:9:

The funny thing is, most of the black establishment in places like New York have gone for Hillary. The Harlem establishment, for instance, has gone for Hillary.

That's probably the same black "establishment" Bill Cosby rails against. They are more interested in power than in advancing the cause they ostensibly represent.

That's probably the same black "establishment" Bill Cosby rails against. They are more interested in power than in advancing the cause they ostensibly represent.

???

I doubt it will happen, but it would be interesting to say the least if Edwards beat Clinton today. Some of the more recent polls show him within the margin of error of 2nd place. Of course there were some polls sayinng he was inching towards second in Nevada and he got 4%.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom