Keto is a life changer (1 Viewer)

The decrease in appetite that Keto produces should help to prevent over-eating.

Probably in most cases people are prone to eventually falling off the wagon with sweets/bread................vs. consistently eating way too much meat on Keto.

The problem, and I know I ran into it, is thinking that I can guesstimate well enough to have an idea of how much I'm eating on a daily basis. And if you're looking at 4 oz of cooked meat, it's actually more like 5 - 6 oz raw, which involves additional protein and fat calories. Many people don't realize how quickly the calories add up when you're eating more fat than usual (not necessarily added fat, but fattier cuts of meat).

Weighing food, tracking macro and calorie intake, and then adjusting macro targets are the most reliable ways to ensure continued weight loss.

I firmly believe you can overeat on a Keto diet. Yes, they are keeping carbs to a minimum but thinking that they can just eat any fat and protein till they're "full" is incorrect. I think the "easy" part comes from simply removing carbs. There's no scanning barcodes, weighing food or calculating macros.

Calories in and out is a real thing. 3000 calories of fat and protein is still 3000 calories.

You are 100% correct. There are a number of keto charlatans that would have you believe calories don't matter and keto makes magic happen, but they're wrong.

The decrease in appetite that Keto produces should help to prevent over-eating.

Probably in most cases people are prone to eventually falling off the wagon with sweets/bread................vs. consistently eating way too much meat on Keto.
Another reason people fall of the wagon is because of a "cheat day". Just because they've been keto for a week doesn't mean they should start adding cheat meals or days. Get down to your goal weight first or if your keto diet plateaues then add a cheat meal.

The problem, and I know I ran into it, is thinking that I can guesstimate well enough to have an idea of how much I'm eating on a daily basis. And if you're looking at 4 oz of cooked meat, it's actually more like 5 - 6 oz raw, which involves additional protein and fat calories. Many people don't realize how quickly the calories add up when you're eating more fat than usual (not necessarily added fat, but fattier cuts of meat).

Weighing food, tracking macro and calorie intake, and then adjusting macro targets are the most reliable ways to ensure continued weight loss.

Oh I agree, a person can't just eat the same amounts of eggs, cheese, meats, etc forever.

But let's think of a 280 to 300 pound guy. Clearly he's accustomed to eating a certain way to "maintain" (and continuing to increase) his size.

He's gonna "need" (I'm using "need" in the sense of what it will take to keep him on this plan in the early stages, since obviously he isn't yet ready for smaller portions......after all, if it was that easy, he'd just cut way down on calories) to eat a higher volume of the keto friendly foods to maintain initial satiety.

In that person's case.......even with likely overeating in the early Keto stages.......chances are, he's still reducing calorie intake simply by cutting the carbs. If he's typically eating something like 6,000 calories a day prior to Keto.........it would probably be just about impossible for him to continue eating 6,000 calories a day without including sugar and bread.

That person is gonna start to lose weight........but of course will have to gradually shift to reduced portion sizes as the hunger decreases and the weight is falling.

Oh I agree, a person can't just eat the same amounts of eggs, cheese, meats, etc forever.

But let's think of a 280 to 300 pound guy. Clearly he's accustomed to eating a certain way to "maintain" (and continuing to increase) his size.

He's gonna "need" (I'm using "need" in the sense of what it will take to keep him on this plan in the early stages, since obviously he isn't yet ready for smaller portions......after all, if it was that easy, he'd just cut way down on calories) to eat a higher volume of the keto friendly foods to maintain initial satiety.

In that person's case.......even with likely overeating in the early Keto stages.......chances are, he's still reducing calorie intake simply by cutting the carbs. If he's typically eating something like 6,000 calories a day prior to Keto.........it would probably be just about impossible for him to continue eating 6,000 calories a day without including sugar and bread.

That person is gonna start to lose weight........but of course will have to gradually shift to reduced portion sizes as the hunger decreases and the weight is falling.

I agree.

I was that 280 lb guy at one point. I made a conscious decision to cut back on carbs - basically just cutting out bread, rice, pasta, potatoes whenever possible. I considered myself "low carb" vs "keto" b/c I'd still have the occasional carb, or my total carbs for the day exceeded a certain amount (say 50 - 100g vs the 25g or so some keto groups practice). Removing those additional calories from my diet led to a deficit in calories and weight started coming off.

If someone can resist the early urges to feed their sweet tooth, get "fat adapted" (several weeks into ketosis) and ensure proper electrolyte maintenance, the body's natural usage of stored body fat will keep them fully energized as well as or better than a glucose/glycogen based diet. This is when things like intermittent fasting can come into play, prolonging the body's time without added calories/energy and allowing it to fuel itself with stored body fat.

The keto diet has worked for me on several occasions to take off pounds. I usually hit keto pretty strict during Lent because I have added willpower during this span. Unfortunately, I can't stick to it. I like the breads and other unhealthy carbs too much.

I've added more than normal this summer & need to get on a plan again. I just don't think it will be keto at this time of year. I like my beers too much in the summertime.

Another reason people fall of the wagon is because of a "cheat day". Just because they've been keto for a week doesn't mean they should start adding cheat meals or days. Get down to your goal weight first or if your keto diet plateaues then add a cheat meal.

Yep.....the problem with a cheat day is that it's easy to want to make the next 2 days (or longer) cheat days as well.

My problem when I'm doing low carb or keto is not overeating but undereating. I combine low carb with intermittent fasting. Problem is that I skip breakfast but I often don't replace the calories I would have eaten for breakfast back in that 8 hour eating window which causes too much of a calorie deficit and sends my body into starvation mode even though I don't feel hungry.

Congrats on your loss.

I had a "come to jesus" with myself last September. I saw some vacation pictures, was having to buy bigger clothes, and just wasn't feeling good. I decided I had enough. I stated a "keto" diet and went hard core till end of February when I hit my goal weight. I lost 80 pounds and I've kept it off so far. I did allow myself some freedom in December for a trip to a couple of Saints games in N.O. and Nashville.

My plan was low fat (lean protein, veggies, no diary) and I did watch my calories, but never really counted during the weight loss, maybe 1200 a day. I stopped drinking alcohol during the weight loss period and really only walked for exercise.

I still haven't gone back to beer. I stick with whisky, vodka or gin. During the week, I still eat pretty clean. On weekends, I allow myself to indulge.

Like someone mentioned above, it is more about the number on the scale. I had a full blood work up done at the start and at the end. All the important numbers went from "why am I not dead?", lol, to all normal ranges.

My weight now fluctuates 5 +/- pounds through out the week. I have a "trigger" number that if I hit it, I will go hard core again.

Congrats on your loss.

I had a "come to jesus" with myself last September. I saw some vacation pictures, was having to buy bigger clothes, and just wasn't feeling good. I decided I had enough. I stated a "keto" diet and went hard core till end of February when I hit my goal weight. I lost 80 pounds and I've kept it off so far. I did allow myself some freedom in December for a trip to a couple of Saints games in N.O. and Nashville.

My plan was low fat (lean protein, veggies, no diary) and I did watch my calories, but never really counted during the weight loss, maybe 1200 a day. I stopped drinking alcohol during the weight loss period and really only walked for exercise.

I still haven't gone back to beer. I stick with whisky, vodka or gin. During the week, I still eat pretty clean. On weekends, I allow myself to indulge.

Like someone mentioned above, it is more about the number on the scale. I had a full blood work up done at the start and at the end. All the important numbers went from "why am I not dead?", lol, to all normal ranges.

My weight now fluctuates 5 +/- pounds through out the week. I have a "trigger" number that if I hit it, I will go hard core again.

Man that’s amazing. 80 pounds in 6 months is my goal. Maybe a dumb question but no dairy as in no cheddar cheese either? I had read that non processed cheese like cheddar is ok for the Keto diet.

I lost 30-35 pounds about three years ago by cutting cheese from my diet and going low carb. I think since i did that, it just cut out many of the bad things i love like pizza.

Man that’s amazing. 80 pounds in 6 months is my goal. Maybe a dumb question but no dairy as in no cheddar cheese either? I had read that non processed cheese like cheddar is ok for the Keto diet.

I lost 30-35 pounds about three years ago by cutting cheese from my diet and going low carb. I think since i did that, it just cut out many of the bad things i love like pizza.

Correct, no cheese of any kind. I know cheese is allowed on most keto plans, I went very low fat.

Three important questions.

Does Keto require exercising in a certain way or times?
Is intermittent fasting part of Keto or is that different?
Can Keto drink Scotch?

pure spirits have zero carbs, so yes

I should add, I made it a point to learn to adapt and not miss out on social gatherings while I was dieting. If I was at a party and got hungry, I would hit the cheese and veggie tray. While it was more fat than I wanted, I knew it wouldn't take me out of ketosis.

Too many people think they can eat a pound of bacon for breakfast and convince themselves they are "doing keto".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom