Kevin Williams for NT? (1 Viewer)

SaintFan26

All-Pro
Reaction score
How about it? He's scheduled to be a FA, could be worth it.

Defense could wind up like this;

RDE: Cam Jordan
LDE: Akiem Hicks
NT: Kevin Williams/Broderick Bunkley
ROLB: Junior "The Razor" Galette
ILB: David Hawethorne
ILB: Curtis Lofton
LOLB: Martez Wilson
RCB:patrick Robinson
LCB: Jabari Greer
NCB: Jenkins
FS: Isa Al-Quddus
SS: Draft Pick

I don't think we resign Bushrod, we use the 15th pick on the best OT available, rehauling the defense is important but protecting Brees is the first thing to address this offseason.

So draft:
1 round: Best OT available.
2 round (if we get it) best Safety available.
3 round best DE available
4 round best CB
5 round best OL
6 round best CB
7 round best QB

Thoughts?

If we go the FA route I'd rather them go after Terrance Knighton. He n Bunkley would make a powerful rotation at NT...assuming they'll put Hicks at 5T. Or they mite draft a nose

So what we just get rid of Harper and eat his salary? I think he will flourish in a 3-4, should be less 1 on 1 coverage for him.

How about it? He's scheduled to be a FA, could be worth it.

Defense could wind up like this;

RDE: Cam Jordan
LDE: Akiem Hicks
NT: Kevin Williams/Broderick Bunkley
ROLB: Junior "The Razor" Galette
ILB: David Hawethorne
ILB: Curtis Lofton
LOLB: Martez Wilson
RCB:patrick Robinson
LCB: Jabari Greer
NCB: Jenkins
FS: Isa Al-Quddus
SS: Draft Pick

I don't think we resign Bushrod, we use the 15th pick on the best OT available, rehauling the defense is important but protecting Brees is the first thing to address this offseason.

So draft:
1 round: Best OT available.
2 round (if we get it) best Safety available.
3 round best DE available
4 round best CB
5 round best OL
6 round best CB
7 round best QB

Thoughts?
Akiem Hicks is 6'5, 325lbs, athletic, good motor and demands a double team. He is perfect for nose tackle. Don't see him at RDE unless he drops about 25-30 lbs. Even JJ Watt is only 295 or so. Saints have personal to run a 3-4, with exception of RDE(will smith gone), what we lack is depth at those positions. Kevin Williams might be good for depth at that position.

So what we just get rid of Harper and eat his salary? I think he will flourish in a 3-4, should be less 1 on 1 coverage for him.

No but we don't make the worst defense in NFL history better by keeping the two starting safeties (who ranked dead last in performance according to PFF) in place.

Kevin Williams has been a 3-tech all of his career, and he is getting there on age. I wish we go young, so would take a pass on him.

Akeem Hicks played the similar position as DE in his career in Canada. He can play 3-4 DE, no doubt about it. I think it will be a waste to use him as a space eater with the quick first step and ability to block passes, but we will have to wait until the new staff arrives.

No but we don't make the worst defense in NFL history better by keeping the two starting safeties (who ranked dead last in performance according to PFF) in place.

Exactly, so draft or sign a FS.

Harper is terrible..we need to replace him....if that means cutting him or having him as high priced backup then yes.....

Last edited:
So you say protecting Brees is top priority but you are going to let Bushrod go and put rookie at LT? Uh.....no

Kevin Williams is not a 3-4 NT. A player like Brandon Williams can fit the bill of what we need in the middle of the defense. And he's likely to be available in the third round.

Kevin Williams is getting old, maybe if you asked this question earlier in his career it MIGHT have panned out. Now he's much older and in no way can you expect him to command two gaps (if your running a 2 gap system), if your running a one gap there's no point trying to acquire him and waste cap space, we have players that can do that on the roster already.

So you say protecting Brees is top priority but you are going to let Bushrod go and put rookie at LT? Uh.....no

I'm certain if we got Locker (maybe), Koechel (probably not) or DJ Fluker (most likely candidate) they would be the best tackle on the team immediately, Drew's ability to read, release quickly and move in the pocket is the only thing keeping Bushrod status as "above average". I would even say draft one of them anyway and resign/move Bushrod to the RT spot.

There are a lot of big bodies that are be available (and affordable) in free agency this off-season.

Sammie Hill
Aubrayo Franklin
Terrance Knighton
Ricky Jean-Francois (not big but has play NT in a 3-4 scheme)
Alan Branch
Pat Sims
Ropati Pitoitua
Roy Miller
Ron Brace

We could also draft one. Simply put, we do not have to trade a pick to get a 3-4 NT.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom