Key to the game (1 Viewer)

st dude

The dotless one
Super Moderator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Oh no, another key to the game post. Let me guess. Is it we need to run the ball? Or is it stop the run? How about make sure Kamara gets his touches? Well all of those things are important, but this is a match that features two hall of fame quarterbacks and that is where my key is.

Let me first say how wrong I was with my early season prediction that Brady would bust with the Bucs. I saw Brady as not only being old, but old with less natural athleticism than Brees has at roughly the same age. Its not so much Brady's arm getting old as it is his legs. He has never been very mobile at his best and even pocket quarterbacks need some ability to escape. I was thinking pigeons might land on him before he got the ball out.

Combine that with him leaving a hall of fame coach to go to a new offense with no spring practice and no experience with his teammates, I figured Brady would wish he had retired. Well I was wrong about all that. Brady (and Brees) look like they can make it to fifty the way they play. Brady is still a top qb.

So what's the key to the game? Sorry, I got sidetracked. The key is getting pressure on Brady with just a four man rush. Like Brees, Brady can recognize and punish the blitz. And you cant rush three, he will pick you apart. His only weakness, his only achilles heal, is Brady doesn't move as well as he used to. And he never really moved that well before but for his innate ability, like Brees, to step up in the pocket and not flush.

Its actually the same key for both teams. Tampa needs to generate pressure on Brees without blitzing as well. I like our chances on that better than theirs.

Hopefully Hendrickson is healthy and close to full speed. No need to worry about Cam Jordan, he is the highest motor guy we have had since Ricky Jackson, he will do his job.

The guy who needs to step up and earn his pay is Davenport, Marcus not Willie. Davenport was drafted to do what Hendrickson is doing, rush the passer. He was to be the missing ingredient to get us to the Super Bowl as in the years before him we were seeing leads eaten away because we couldn't get to the qb.

For whatever reason, injuries playing a big part, Davenport has consistently not been the wrecking ball rusher that gets us to the next level. We would have easily beaten the Rams in the bad call with any pass rush from him at the end. Davenport has flashed ability, but he is not the disrupter we thought we were getting.

But this is a what have you done for me lately world and redemption is there for the taking for Marcus. He can still be the missing ingredient that changes the game not just with a sack, but a strip sack that he scoops up and races to the end zone. That might be wishful thinking. Davenport has not had a sack in the last nine games.

Our defense is better this year. I don't feel like if the other team has the ball at the end of the game down 6 that we will automatically lose like I used to. You know the feeling. If we are up six with two minutes to play and the other team had the ball at their 20, I would be thinking let them score now and not use up all the clock.

Where I think we are better than Tampa is our d-line with Jordan, Hendrickson and Davenport on the ends and Rankins, Onyemata and Brown in the middle. How good a draft pick was Onyemata, by the way?

One final thought in line with the key to the game theme is the type of pressure Brady and Brees type qb's hate the most, middle pressure. Hendrickson owes at least some of his sacks to the guys in the middle who are not letting the qbs step up in the pocket. Rankins has been a solid player when healthy. We need the front four to get after that old man.

Absolutely. The pass rush needs to get hurries that cause incompletions and sacks without blitzing. The TB receivers are too good to spend a defensive back for a blitz, and their tight ends are too good to use linebackers for blitzing. Brady must be harrassed relentlessly.

The offense must function properly, including eliminating turnovers. The Bucs defense is pretty much the same as before, right?

we need fair referring, period. Baby is going to be doing his crybaby stunts, fair referring is all I ask for

Am I the ONLY one who sees the difference between the brady of old, and the current incarnation of his piece of dung self?!

In years past, brady's biggest asset was that he was COOL under pressure. Knowing the hit was coming, he'd stand and deliver the pass that turned a negative play into a positive one. THAT was his greatest gift on the field.

These days?! He's just hot garbage if you rattle his cage. Bad throw, throw it away, or go down quick to avoid the big hit. THAT'S the brady we're seeing these days, when he's got defenders bearing down. Give him time, and he'll tear you up.

I still think that our approach to this game needs to be more in line with the road to SB LXIV. Hit that "person of questionable parentage". Hit him hard, and hit him often.

We do that, and we win by two TDs.

I'd like to see Davenport next to Rankins or Roach, over a guard and use that bull rush to move that guard into that pocket area that Brady covets.

I think we will see everywhere from the line but also standing up.

Davenport attacking from everywhere is the surprise in the game plan. Having Hendrickson back will allow us to do so.

Well I sure hope he doesn't rush just four. That is not how you beat the max protect Tampa has been running over the last few weeks

DA will send minimum of 5 at a max protect he will not let Brady just sit there, especially if they are keeping Gronk in to block as they have been doing

Good points

don't know how some of y’all are asleep right now...I’m freaking nervous and excited for the game

Good to see you posting, st dude. Solid takes as always. May I take a moment to ask you a legal question?

For four years now, Saints CB Marshon Lattimore has been living inside Bucs' WR Mike Evans' head. There is ample video evidence to support this claim. Is that a sufficient amount of time for Lattimore to claim permanent ownership of Evans' head via "squatter's rights" laws? If so, that could be a solid negotiating tool for his next contract.

What say you, st dude?

we need fair referring, period. Baby is going to be doing his crybaby stunts, fair referring is all I ask for

Exactly. Just refer us to the same place every other team is being referred to in order to get fair refereeing...

Good to see you posting, st dude. Solid takes as always. May I take a moment to ask you a legal question?

For four years now, Saints CB Marshon Lattimore has been living inside Bucs' WR Mike Evans' head. There is ample video evidence to support this claim. Is that a sufficient amount of time for Lattimore to claim permanent ownership of Evans' head via "squatter's rights" laws? If so, that could be a solid negotiating tool for his next contract.

What say you, st dude?

Dan, its a great question. Sorry to say in Louisiana the answer would have to be no. Lattimore would have to occupy Evans brain for thirty years under Louisiana laws of acquisitive prescription to acquire title to it:

The laws governing acquisitive prescription of immovable property apply to apparent servitudes. An apparent servitude may be acquired by peaceable and uninterrupted possession of the right for ten years in good faith and by just title; it may also be acquired by uninterrupted possession for thirty years without title or good faith.

Now if Lattimore could show some good faith "color of title" he could reduce the thirty year time to ten years, but that's a stretch to me. Arguing that Lattimore's possession of Evan's brain has been a peaceful one would be a hard sell with any jury.

One angle might be to try to use Florida law where there is a seven year period of time and argue that Lattimore lives inside Evans head in games played in Tampa too. It would be a novel argument requiring a discussion of conflict of law as to whether la or Florida law would apply, but that's a moot question as we have not got to even seven years possession yet to trigger Florida laws.

The real problem I see is when we think of squatters rights, it usually in connection with immovable property. Evan's brain moves around a good bit and would probably be considered a movable under either state's laws.

Indeed I worry Lattimore might be charged criminally with unauthorized use of a movable if he pushes this. So it was a good question Dan, but I just do not see it. If you take this to the extreme you could see New Orleans claiming title to the entire city of Tampa Bay itself, having owned Tampa for so many years.

Its a slippery slope.

I would like to add that we REALLY need guys to jam their assigned WR/TE's to disrupt route timing. Brady is banking on being able to have reads made pre-snap and use a quick release to get the ball out super quick and negate the pass rush as much as possible. Like he did against WFT.

And- I see a lot of Bucs players finding soft spots in certain coverages getting the ball and hoping to break a tackle and keep things moving. Our guys need to be sure-handed tackling machines today. It's critical to limit YAC.

Another key, offensively, is Lutz. He needs to be on-point. If this is indeed a tight game, it may come down to FG's.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom