Keys to beating Pittsburgh (1 Viewer)

STHornet

THE YOUNG PRESIDENT
Reaction score
When the Steelers have the ball...

1. Blitzing Ben Roelisthberger...He struggles against the blitz. The Denver Broncos exposed him today. When he is blitz, he can't escape, and he throws stupid passes.

2. Double Hines Ward...He is the only WR that scares us. Mike McKenzie must stay physical with him. He isn't fast, so Mike McKenzie should be able to stop him. Make Santana Holmes and Cedric Wilson beat us, not Ward.

3. Make the Steelers a passing team...Willie Parker is good, but we must stop the run. Watch for draw plays...Also watch for the HB screen.

4. Don't let the Steelers offensive line control our d-line...They have a good line, but don't let them control the game.

5. Watch Heath Miller...He's their main red zone target.

-----------------

When we have the ball...

1. Run Duece McAllister...Deuce needs to touch the ball at least 15 times...Get him stated early.

2. Use Reggie Bush on HB screens and fly routes. I think Reggie could take a HB screen the distance. Use the play. Also, let him go on fly routes with Duece at HB.

3. Go deep. If Polamula(sp?) comes down for the run support, use Reggie, Devery, and Horn's speed to go deep. Beat them deep.

4. Colston must get the ball atleast 7 times. Use his size to beat the small Cbs of the Steelers.

5. Don't let the weather affect the game. It's going to be cold and most likely windy.

Last edited:
you think the weather will have a major affect on us? Completely different weather from what we're used to.

i really think this steelers team is going to be PO'ed when we play them this week...which is not good for us.

the saints need to play a clean game IMO, to win.

The Key to beating the Steelers is to make sure Charlie Batch stays o nthe bench.

i've actually watch a lot of the steelers this year and one thing i can say is, Polamula can't cover anyone. All he does is follow the ball and comes to lay a hit, thats it.

Thats a weekness we need to exploit. I'd love to send Bush or Henderson deep on Polamula, make him play coverage and burn him.

According to weather.com it's going to be 40 degrees with a 40% chance of rain. Hopefully the outlook gets better.

they were po'd today and look what happened. at 2-5 before today it was win or thier season was over so i think the saints can beat them

The Steelers are a good football team (if you catch them on the right day or wrong day I should say). Hopefully we face the team that has given up the ball more times than they did all last year.

However, this team is very deadly. Its not just Ward. They have two up and coming rookies in Holmes and Washington. Wilson is a good vet and can make plays. They also have a decent running back in Parker and I liked the addition of Najeh Davenport.

Not to mention the defense, that at times this year, has looked incredible and at times has looked horrible. Lets hope we get the same team that played Jacksonville, Oakland, San Diego and Denver. I wouldn't like to see the outcome if the team that blew out the Chiefs showed up.

This game is very managable, but we must not forget they do have offensive and defensive weapons (they haven't changed personel much since last year).

The Steelers do scare me a little bit despite being 2-6. Rothlisberger shredded that defense for over 400 yards and they added almost another 100 on the ground. And Denver is supposed to be one of the best defenses around. If they didn't turn the ball over 5 times they would have won. And our defense is not known for forcing turnovers. I think we will get our points on them on O but being able to stop them on D is what really concerns me.

It's a very similar situation to Tampa Bay. The Saints need to start strong and get the crowd to be hostile.

We think of Pittsburgh as a perennial powerhouse, but their early history is about as bad as that of the Saints--and people my age remember the hard times vividly. Saints fans can relate all too well to a legacy of losing, which tends to lead to crowds of booing fans when things don't go well.

Let's not worry about the weather yet. It's not likely it will be that bad this early in the winter. December would be a different story.

If the right Pittsburgh team shows up, this will be a very tough game. We need to get started early and break their spirits. Shred their secondary. They're very tough against the run just like the Ravens and Bucs. Secondary is suspect, though.

On offense, they either play great or play like crap. Hopefully we catch them in a crap fest. Stop their run, score early and often and make them one dimensional and we should win.

But this is a big time must win for them. If they drop to 2-7, it's over for the them, period. For most teams, it would be over already, but they've run the table before.

The Steelers do scare me a little bit despite being 2-6. Rothlisberger shredded that defense for over 400 yards and they added almost another 100 on the ground. And Denver is supposed to be one of the best defenses around. If they didn't turn the ball over 5 times they would have won. And our defense is not known for forcing turnovers. I think we will get our points on them on O but being able to stop them on D is what really concerns me.

thats exactly what i was thinkn regarding yesterdays performance by Pitt, now what IM most concerned about is the above mentioned forcast. We have yet to establish a strong running game and pitts run D can be outstanding at times. We need that weather to be fair. Don't get me wrong even if the weather is less than ideal i still think we will be effective with our short passing plays but i do think the weather will be the biggest problem

Will we bring the defibrillator to Pittsburg this week? Y'all know what I'm talking about. I suppose we could bring one but maybe leave the batteries in the Big. So when somebody says "clear," nothing happens.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom