Keyshawn Johnson: Michael Thomas is "Colston 2.0" (1 Viewer)

longtime lurker

Buddy D lives FOREVER!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
"Sean asked me what I think. I said he's a bigger, faster Colston, to me," Johnson told ESPN's Mike Triplett.

"If you're striving to be someone in the National Football League, Marques Colston is (somebody you want to be)," Johnson said. "So if you ask me, 'Well, what is he?' There you go, that's what he is. Bigger and faster, and he's Marques Colston 2.0 or whatever you want to call him."

Keyshawn: Nephew Michael Thomas is 'Colston 2.0' - NFL.com

Triplett's original article:

Keyshawn Johnson: Michael Thomas is "bigger, faster" Marques Colston - New Orleans Saints Blog- ESPN

Bigger and faster?

Uh...someone wanna tell him?

From the article:

Johnson is hardly an unbiased source. And he can already be busted for embellishing one detail: Colston was 6-foot-4 and 225 pounds, while Thomas is 6-3, 212.

Thomas is faster though, right?

And I really like this quote from the article:

Thomas said he eventually fell in love with football because of that one-on-one competition against defensive backs -- the inspiration for his Twitter and Instagram handles, @Cantguardmike.

“That’s how I approach the field. Like when a DB lines up on me, you can’t guard me,” Thomas said. “And when you have that mindset you’ve already won half the battle.”

From the article:

Thomas is faster though, right?

Well weight doesn't take into account body types.

I can point out two players that are 5'10 200lbs but are built completely different because of their frames. Colston was a slim 225...meanwhile Thomas is a relatively thick 212. Its a mistake technically but not as far fetched as it comes off.

Height wise...yeah you guys have a point and I'm not so sure he was faster. Colston ran a 4.55 when he came out.

Tho one could note that Thomas ran a 4.55 at his pro day.

Allegedly Thomas ran a 4.45 at the OSU pro-day, though he clocked a 4.55 according to NFL.com and ran a 4.57 at the combine.

Wide receiver Michael Thomas also bettered his 4.57 showing by running around a 4.45, according to scouts.
Pro Day Tour: Miller & Elliott Stand Out At Star-Studded Ohio State Workouts | Dallas Cowboys

Colston ran a 4.5 even. So he might not be necessarily faster either. Though Thomas' shuttle and cone drill times are faster. So you could argue he's much quicker.

Well weight doesn't take into account body types.

I can point out two players that are 5'10 200lbs but are built completely different because of their frames. Colston was a slim 225...meanwhile Thomas is a relatively thick 212. Its a mistake technically but not as far fetched as it comes off.

Height wise...yeah you guys have a point and I'm not so sure he was faster. Colston ran a 4.55 when he came out.

Tho one could note that Thomas ran a 4.55 at his pro day.

Word. Though he's definitely faster than Colston was the last couple of years after all those injuries started to take a toll on his body.

Allegedly Thomas ran a 4.45 at the OSU pro-day, though he clocked a 4.55 according to NFL.com and ran a 4.57 at the combine.

Pro Day Tour: Miller & Elliott Stand Out At Star-Studded Ohio State Workouts | Dallas Cowboys

Colston ran a 4.5 even. So he might not be necessarily faster either. Though Thomas' shuttle and cone drill times are faster. So you could argue he's much quicker.

Was going to put that out because I read that too somewhere else that he ran a 4.45 at his pro day (depends on who's stopping the clock) but then I checked NFL Draft scout as they are usually pretty reliable with pro day #'s and they have him in the 4.53 to 4.6 range.

*Michael Thomas | Ohio State, WR : 2016 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Talk is cheap. Colston didn't talk. He was about that action before Marshawn Lynch made it fashionable.

Keyshawn is hyping his nephew...nothing to see here. From all accounts Thomas is pretty humble. His game does remind me a bit of Colston...though Colston was a little taller, and probably faster in his prime. But size and speed are overrated. Colston rarely sprinted...the guy was just so crisp in his strides and route running. He was one of the best WRs I'd ever seen at finding zones. His body control and timing were unreal. He was big...new how to use his body...and was willing to sacrifice his body. Michael Thomas looks good on paper but he has LOTS to prove to be even in Colston's league. But I'm rooting for him because boy do we need him to be good and he seems like a likable guy.

How about just a younger Colston? That would work, huh?

David Treadwell will be Colston 2.0 not Michael Thomas, this is just family hyping

I'd rather think of him as Michael Thomas 1.0

Quiet Storm has no equal prototype; neither did Eric Martin, IMO. They are both Saints' legends in their own rights.

Michael Thomas will make a name for himself if he is to succeed at all.

JMHO

:gosaints:

I'd rather think of him as Michael Thomas 1.0

Quiet Storm has no equal prototype; neither did Eric Martin, IMO. They are both Saints' legends in their own rights.

Michael Thomas will make a name for himself if he is to succeed at all.

JMHO

:gosaints:

As I'm sure he will. It wouldn't be the off season if there weren't comparisons to former players at the same position, especially one who's just been "replaced" through the draft with this guy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom