Kffl.com Version of Saints Exploring Moving Up (1 Viewer)

BWS

Reaction score
Here is the kffl.com version of the Saints looking to move up in the draft:

Saints | Team exploring moving up in draft
Wed, 16 Apr 2008 22:22:25 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the New Orleans Saints are looking to move up in the 2008 NFL Draft. The Saints, with the No. 10 overall pick, have made inquiries with the St. Louis Rams on what it would take to move up to No. 2 overall in the draft. People who have spoken with the Saints insist the talks are more informal.

If the cost to move up to pick 2 in order to select Dorsey is only a second round pick, I say -- just do it. The 3rd round pick could be reserved for the best available OLB or CB -- the Saints 2nd and 3rd biggest needs.

I agree. The Saints have plenty of cap space and few holes to fill. They can afford to move up and grab a difference-maker like Dorsey. After Dorsey, McFadden, Ellis and the two longs are off the board, there is a big gap before you get to the players who are guaranteed difference makers. Gholston might be the exception, but it's limited to the right defense and the right coaches.

If Jake long is gone, the Rams might be tempted to move down to #10 to grab an OT and add a high 2nd round pick to address other needs.

It would be better is the second round was next year's though...

I have a hard time believing this will go through. If we're moving ahead of Atlanta to grab Dorsey, wouldn't Atlanta be willing to give up, say, a 3rd rounder to move up just 1 spot? And if you're St. Louis wouldn't you rather take a third and move down one spot rather then take a 2nd and go all the way down to #10?

I think we're safe from Oakland, NY Jets, New England, and likely Baltimore and Cinncinati as well, but if Atlanta wants Dorsey as well I don't see how we beat them out.

I have a hard time believing this will go through. If we're moving ahead of Atlanta to grab Dorsey, wouldn't Atlanta be willing to give up, say, a 3rd rounder to move up just 1 spot? And if you're St. Louis wouldn't you rather take a third and move down one spot rather then take a 2nd and go all the way down to #10?

I think we're safe from Oakland, NY Jets, New England, and likely Baltimore and Cinncinati as well, but if Atlanta wants Dorsey as well I don't see how we beat them out.

yes...especially since Atlanta has three #2 picks...

Well, it obviously depends on who is there and what type of player the team truly covets (something none of us really know of course). If the Rams were dead set on Jake Long because they feel OT is the position of greatest need/value right now, and he was taken first, then perhaps they'd rather move to #10 for a few reasons. 1) Salary. Obviously Pick 3 is still in that high price/guarantees range. Moving to Pick 10 is an incredible difference in cost/guarantees that can theoretically be used elsewhere in the future. 2) Most of us agree that there aren't any truly elite (edit: by elite I mean the type of players that project to "HOF locks"), but there is solid talent through Pick 40. So perhaps the Rams would rather take their chances with 3 picks in the Top 40 where they could grab an OT and two other positions of their choosing.

yes...especially since Atlanta has three #2 picks...

Right, well I don't think they'd be that desperate for Dorsey they'd give up a 2nd rounder, but you're right, the option is there for them.

I just don't see this deal coming to fruition. I like that we're being aggressive and maybe things will work out, but i'm skeptical.

It is a no brainer if it costs a 2nd round pick you would do it in a heart beat.

I think you offer 1[10], 2[40] and OT Jon Stinchcomb.

Well, it obviously depends on who is there and what type of player the team truly covets (something none of us really know of course). If the Rams were dead set on Jake Long because they feel OT is the position of greatest need/value right now, and he was taken first, then perhaps they'd rather move to #10 for a few reasons. 1) Salary. Obviously Pick 3 is still in that high price/guarantees range. Moving to Pick 10 is an incredible difference in cost/guarantees that can theoretically be used elsewhere in the future. 2) Most of us agree that there aren't any truly elite players, but there is solid talent through Pick 40. So perhaps the Rams would rather take their chances with 3 picks in the Top 40 where they could grab an OT and two other positions of their choosing.

The only way I could see it is if they have someone like Chris Williams or Jeff Otah rated above Ryan Clady.

Clady isn't likely to make it to #10, so just moving down to #3 and taking Clady is clearly the superior option. If they have say someone like Chris Williams rated over Clady, then yes, you're right. Better to move to #10 where his salary would be significantly cheaper then reach for him at #3 when there's little chance of him going between #3 and #10.

Carl Peterson's right-hand man Billy Kuharich, who formerly called the shots with Mike Ditka in New Orleans and helped make one of the biggest blockbuster moves in NFL history when he traded the Saints' draft for the right to select RB Ricky Williams, still has strong ties to the Saints' organization and is well-positioned to help arrange another deal. With many pressing needs to fill, the Chiefs are looking to acquire multiple picks and are very interested in moving down in the draft order, so much so that they are considering a move to deal their marquee defensive star, who remains a couple of beers away from a lengthy NFL suspension.

this makes me feel very good. we have been on the better end of quite a few deals with the new regime and dealing with billy k, well...

rob em blind mickey!!!

The only way I could see it is if they have someone like Chris Williams or Jeff Otah rated above Ryan Clady.

Clady isn't likely to make it to #10, so just moving down to #3 and taking Clady is clearly the superior option. If they have say someone like Chris Williams rated over Clady, then yes, you're right. Better to move to #10 where his salary would be significantly cheaper then reach for him at #3 when there's little chance of him going between #3 and #10.

True about Clady. They'd have to have one of the others rated ahead, or at least close to equal for that to be a legitimate move.

I can't see anyone having Otah rated that high though. Who would draft him, unless desperate. :covri:

We get the Rams 1st and the Rams 3rd
Rams get our 1st, our 2nd and our 3rd.

Could that work?

We get the Rams 1st and the Rams 3rd
Rams get our 1st, our 2nd and our 3rd.

Could that work?

That's worse then just giving them our 1st and 2nd (we'd move up in the 3rd round with that trade).

No if we "upped" our offer it'd have to be something along then lines of our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for their 1st and 4th.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom