Kidd to Mavs? (1 Viewer)

I don't follow basketball much, but when trades occur I do read on them. What's the deal with teams trading #1 picks like they aren't anything. Not only are they trading one of them, but multiple #1 picks. As much as we need a cb, if the Saints traded 2 1st for say someone like Champ Bailey, I'd be a little uneasy about it.

#1 Picks in the NBA arn't as big a deal as in the NFL. They get thrown into trades more as a sweetner than the actual meat of the trade. Also there is ALOT of protection on those picks that usually does not get reported.

For example the Miami Heat traded their #1 pick to the Minn T-Wolves however it's protected as such:

Minnesota from Miami (protected 1-14 for '08; 1-10 for '09; 1-6 for '10; no protection for '11)

cuban seems to be saying he doesnt want to give up Harris, says he is a top 5 PG - i dont see that at all - i thught the mavs were better this year but now it seems they have regressed - i dont think they are as good as they were the last couple of years.

I think Cuban was just saying that because Harris was "his guy". No way is Harris top 5 in the NBA. Maybe the SW Division. :hihi:

I think Cuban was just saying that because Harris was "his guy". No way is Harris top 5 in the NBA. Maybe the SW Division. :hihi:

its done - kidd to mavs - almost

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7793458?MSNHPHMA

he reports differ slightly on the specifics, but the Nets would send Kidd and possibly Malik Allen and Antoine Wright to the Mavericks in exchange for Devin Harris, Devean George, Jerry Stackhoue, DeSegana Diop, Maurice Ager, and a package of draft picks.

its done - kidd to mavs - almost

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7793458?MSNHPHMA

he reports differ slightly on the specifics, but the Nets would send Kidd and possibly Malik Allen and Antoine Wright to the Mavericks in exchange for Devin Harris, Devean George, Jerry Stackhoue, DeSegana Diop, Maurice Ager, and a package of draft picks.

Nope not yet. Devean George was against the trade and the trade is still on hold now.

Wondering how the guys who were named in the trade feel now going back to their respective teams? Awkwaaaaard!

it will happen, but not in time for him to play tonight against the suns - i may have to get the NBA package now.

I don't understand Devean George's(or his agents) rationale here. So he's using his no-trade clause so that he doesn't lose his Bird rights. But the Bird rights only apply to how much money the Mavs can offer him and not have it exceed the cap. After blocking the trade, does he(or his agent) really think the Mavs will want to sign him now? The guy said publicly just 2 weeks ago that he wanted out. But I guess not to New Jersey. :shrug:

I don't understand Devean George's(or his agents) rationale here. So he's using his no-trade clause so that he doesn't lose his Bird rights. But the Bird rights only apply to how much money the Mavs can offer him and not have it exceed the cap. After blocking the trade, does he(or his agent) really think the Mavs will want to sign him now? The guy said publicly just 2 weeks ago that he wanted out. But I guess not to New Jersey. :shrug:

from what i read of George's position he (or his agent) want to confirm all of this before blindly entering into it - and what the Nets plans are - they may buy his deal out like they will Stack's.

i dont think he cares about it being NJ as he wants the biggest payday he can get next season, which maybe with the Nets, so i dont think its the team but the deal itself.

im sure glad bass isnt part of this deal, kinda hate to see Diop go though

Listening to sports talk here, Mavs fans seem to be split about 60-40 being opposed to this trade. The biggest problem most have with it is losing Harris. Of course, the Mavs wouldn't be in this position if they had just paid Steve Nash instead of just assuming his body couldn't hold up. I don't like losing Harris either because his perimeter defense is excellent. But apparently he's terrible at calling the plays and relys on AJ to call them from the sideline.

yes thats what i hear regarding Harris, and the Mavs arent a good assist team which makes them easier to defend -

the draft picks are the worst part for me, looks like they are planning Kidd to a 2 yr player and will draft a PG with their first pick in 09 (pure speculation on my part) but i think by then they would go that route anyway unless Harris broke out next season - IMO they have waited long enough for him to take over this team.

continuing with the same ole same ole with the idea that this player or that player will improve all the while disregarding the mileage that the other players are putting on their bodies waiting for it to happen becomes fruitless after a time - the Mavs are already an older team, so its time to build for a championship run instead of planning on next years player improvement.

If Kidd improves the offensive game of the other players it will erase the defense loss of Harris, as it was the Mavs would have trouble late in the season and post season.

many local fans probably think Kidd was the issue when he was part of the 3 J's - all the while it was Jackson.

Last edited:
trade chat

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=19285

: Do you still think the Kidd trade could still happen despite Devean George blocking it?

SportsNation Chad Ford: (1:04 PM ET ) The latest -- from George's agent Mark Bartlestein -- is that George is still inclined to block the trade. They are thinking it over ... but nothing has changed. This has been a rocky road. I heard earlier this morning that the trade is back on ... but until Bartlestein gives the green light ... I think people will just have to be patient.

jordan dallas texas: should devean george be hiring a body guard right about now?

SportsNation Chad Ford: (1:07 PM ET ) I know there's a lot of angry fans in Dallas right now -- but a couple of things need to be said. 1. This is more about George's agent then George. His agent wants to keep George's Bird Rights so that George has the opportunity to sign a big deal next summer. Basically those rights allows Dallas to go over the cap to re-sign him. While George isn't a big money player, the Mavs might need his contract to make a big deal this summer and George could hit the jackpot in a sign-and-trade. If he's traded to New Jersey, he loses that ability. With that said, the chances of George getting a huge contract -- especially know that he's essentially screwed Dallas -- is slim to none.

SportsNation Chad Ford: (1:08 PM ET ) 2. Maybe George is doing Dallas a favor. I'm not sure Jason Kidd is the right move for them. They are giving up a lot and Kidd is getting up there in age. I think a lot of people in the league thought Dallas was on the losing end of the deal anyway. Who knows -- George may have saved the Mavs from giving away a very talented 24 year old point guard, depth and two valuable first round picks. Only time will tell.

Andy (Denver): Is it really the case that Cuban won't just replace George by a resigned Van Horn because it will cost him a couple more million in luxury tax? How could he really let that stand in the way of a blockbuster that you know he wants to pull off?

SportsNation Chad Ford: (1:11 PM ET ) I agree. Dallas still has options. They could include Van Horn easily and it would cost them roughly an extra $2 million dollars plus an extra 2 million in luxury tax. If Kidd really is going to put the Mavs over the top -- isn't he worth that? Also Dallas could try to get a third team to help facilitate the deal. There might be teams that want DeSanga Diop for example that might be willing to help this work without Devean George in the deal.

Tim (Seymour, CT): Chad what is going on in the WEST? Everybody panicking since Lakers acquired Gasol. Kidd to the Mavericks makes no sense to me from a Dallas perspective.

SportsNation Chad Ford: (1:14 PM ET ) The last two big moves (Shaq to the Suns and Kidd's proposed trade to Dallas) certainly reek of panic. The Lakers added Gasol without giving away any core players. The Suns gave away a player who, frankly at this time in his career, is much more productive than Shaq. The Mavs would be doing the same. They are both hoping that the reputations of players like Shaq and Kidd will inspire their teammates and renew them. I think it's a dubious proposition. However, I don't want to be too critical. It takes courage to make major moves like this and as Bill Simmons has pointed out -- the NBA has lacked courageous GMs over the past few years. I love the guts it takes to pull off these deals ... I just personally feel like both the Suns and the Mavs are making a mistake.

Last edited:
This really sucks! Jason Kidd is a wonderful player, but Harris' career is just starting and he plays all out every game. I would have zero problems with this trade if it was Jason Terry and not Devin Harris.

i dont see Harris as a top player, maybe thats just me - your Chris Paul's, D. Williams etc are PGs that make an huge impact getting others involved, Harris still has trouble running the offense, When Kidd is set to leave Dallas you can find another Harris, possible draft a Williams or Paul type in 09 - IMO Harris is more like Robert Pack with a lesser basketball IQ.

though it appears George is holding firm, the thing is he is hoping the big payout in the off-season comes from Dallas - thats where it has to come from, be is long term deal or sign and trade - he is gambling alot on this move.

now Stackhouse's statements have screwed up the trade even further - i agree with the writer of this article, the mavs have to make this deal now - and take what losses that come with it - or make some moves after the season.

seems the NBA is stopping Stackhouse from returning to the Mavs even if he isnt under contract with any team - sounds like a court case to me

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3247183

I think I'm in the minority, but I don't think this deal makes the Mavs much better, if any better right now. they are losing there entire bench which was a huge strength. There starting 5 will look good on paper, but even then they are all of the sudden and old, slower team. I believe Howard would be the only starter under 30.

I think the Mavs would be better off if they kept their team intact and tried like hell to get a really good big man in the off-season. To me, that's the missing piece, not Kidd.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom