Kids from very different 'neighborhoods' visiting each other (1 Viewer)

k, so i posted the below thread a few years ago and i thought we had a decent discussion (though there were many red thumbs for even starting the thread:idunno:)
http://saintsreport.com/forums/f3/d...nancial-means-328255/index4.html#.V-kzOYgrKM8

so here is "son of" that thread:
b/c my wife teaches at a certain area "good" school, my oldest is able to go start going there this year (we also happened to find a place a block away so we jumped on that - the house is just basic NO shotgun - no frills but not a bad place)
he's already had to playdates at friends' houses
when my wife took him to the first house said said he gasped at the size of it - and that was a gut punch for her (it's very complicated)

We haven't had any of his friends over (we've just finished unpacking and there's a 2 1/2 yr old that complicates plans as well), but I'm sure the topic is coming up soon
I know that my wife is dreading the idea of having a kid from super nice house come over to our much more humble home

insights?

Young kids typically do not looks at the size of a friend's home. We l vet near a subdivision that had home values averaging over $500,000. My kids had several friends that lived there and never did they come home raving about the houses. They generally do not view such things as adults do.

There is always somebody that lives in a bigger house than you as well as somebody that lives in a home smaller than you. What is more memorable is the fun that happens while there. Bake some fresh cookies and that kid will remember that versus what size the house.

Congrats on the new place near the school.

if you have good snacks in the house, the kids won't care if you live in a cardboard box

get some pizza rolls and funyuns...and nachos are always a win (canned cheese only)

:9:

If that fails, hookers and blow is a good second option.

Really a weird question to me guido. Maybe help your wife to realize that the size of a persons house, in the whole scheme of things, really is just not at all important. Why does it matter to her? I would explore the issue deeply with my wife if it were me, ask her some difficult questions about why this bothers her. Perhaps reflect upon some of the people in this world who truly struggle for life day to day.

Your "humble" home -- well, had you thought to inform your wife that humility is a trait to be well-respected and that extravagance is wasteful? Material STUFF is not what life's made of.

Who makes judgments about a person, or about one's self, based on the size of a house? Someone who is to be pitied, that's who.

There's a lesson here for your kids to learn too, no matter how young or old.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom