Kids : I Had No Idea (1 Viewer)

RichPeace

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Up until this point in my life I have never been around kids. Not only have I never been around them but I've never had a desire to be around them and even more than that, I avoided young kids because they were so "foreign" and I had no idea how to handle them. There have been instances where I've been in a room and every one is googoo and gaagaa over a 1 year old and I'm just sitting back, thinking "that little human being scares the crap out of me...no way I'm holding him/her."

Well, as of this weekend I have officially done a 180, not by choice but by circumstance. All it took was for me to have a youngin' introduced into our family. I am now a first time uncle and this weekend I spent a significant amount of time with my nephew. I visited my older sister and I was a little anxious about being around a six month old for three days and the impact it would have on our weekend or if I could even handle being around a kid his age for an extended period of time. It was the first time in my life I had been around a boy his age for more than say, an hour. I'm hooked. It took all of 30 seconds for me to be captivated. For the entire weekend all I did was sit there and stare into my little nephews curious eyes. Everything he did was amazing and I wanted to be right there with him every second of every hour. From feeding to napping to playing to walking, I just couldn't get enough of him and his awesome innocence.

I know this comes as no surprise to the parents and uncles/aunts on the board(or for anyone who love being around young kids), but for me, this weekend was one of the most profound breakthroughs I have had in my life. It is a whole different experience, and a side of existence I never opened my eyes to see. I cant wait to get back to my sisters for another awesome weekend with Luke and I can't wait to have my own children so that i can experience having an awesome little one of my own.

Kids are awesome.

Up until this point in my life I have never been around kids. Not only have I never been around them but I've never had a desire to be around them and even more than that, I avoided young kids because they were so "foreign" and I had no idea how to handle them. There have been instances where I've been in a room and every one is googoo and gaagaa over a 1 year old and I'm just sitting back, thinking "that little human being scares the crap out of me...no way I'm holding him/her."

Well, as of this weekend I have officially done a 180, not by choice but by circumstance. All it took was for me to have a youngin' introduced into our family. I am now a first time uncle and this weekend I spent a significant amount of time with my nephew. I visited my older sister and I was a little anxious about being around a six month old for three days and the impact it would have on our weekend or if I could even handle being around a kid his age for an extended period of time. It was the first time in my life I had been around a boy his age for more than say, an hour. I'm hooked. It took all of 30 seconds for me to be captivated. For the entire weekend all I did was sit there and stare into my little nephews curious eyes. Everything he did was amazing and I wanted to be right there with him every second of every hour. From feeding to napping to playing to walking, I just couldn't get enough of him and his awesome innocence.

I know this comes as no surprise to the parents and uncles/aunts on the board(or for anyone who love being around young kids), but for me, this weekend was one of the most profound breakthroughs I have had in my life. It is a whole different experience, and a side of existence I never opened my eyes to see. I cant wait to get back to my sisters for another awesome weekend with Luke and I can't wait to have my own children so that i can experience having an awesome little one of my own.

Kids are awesome.

They sure are. Being in the delivery room and seeing my oldest daugher born probably saved my life. I was quite rambunctious in my younger days. From that moment on I was determined to be around to see her grow up, so I started acting my age.

Kids are awesome.

yes, i became a first-time uncle almost 3 yrs ago and it's been very, very cool... We'd always had lots of babies around-- extended family, cousins, friends of the family who would always bring their babies around-- but for me it was totally different when it was my own nephew... I love that he's talking a lot now and can actually say my name, and i'm prettty sure he remembers who i am whenever i come into town and see him every 2 or 3 months-- it probably helps that i've yet to show up, since he was born, without bringing a present of some sort for him. :hihi:

Great post.

Kids are awesome. They can certainly be a nuisance and aggravating at times, but they make it all worth it with one hug or one "daddy I love you". Having children of your own is the greatest responsibility you can ever have but it can also be the greatest joy if you are selfless enough to rearrange your lifestyle and priorities.

Watching them grow up and being a part of each phase is great. My little boy turns 4 tomorrow and he is finally at the point where he'd rather come to the camp with daddy than go to Grammy's house (my mother-in-law). We just had a great weekend together. He was stuck to my side like glue. It was great finally getting him on the boat for an extended period and having him catch some fish.

Good for you i have three myself....just don't take it to the extreme and join NAMBLA ....being from Austin and all that.

Kids are awesome. They can certainly be a nuisance and aggravating at times, but they make it all worth it with one hug or one "daddy I love you".

My wife said it best: For the one day they drive me nuts, the other six, they make me laugh.

My son turns 5 tomorrow and he just loves to draw his family with us all smiling, oh yeah, and all with different color light-sabers....

it brings me joy knowing how happy he is and how much he loves his family.

it also makes you realize how terrible it is to be that young and in a bad family situation.

I'm the same way about kids. I have a nephew coming this spring so I hope I make the same transformation. I thought about just waiting it out until the kid could walk around and do stuff. But I might not have a choice but to hold the kid. I don't know why, but I'm terrified of babies. I guess all these years of making sure that I never slip one past the goalie has something to do with it.

Kids are awesome. My least favorite times are:

-The first 4 months with zero sleep.
-From about age 2 1/2 until 3/ or so when they are a contrarian to everything.
-First year of driving
-Sr year in highschool

I know. I have a 17 year old. A 2 1/2 year old and another on the way. :mwink:

Kids are like midgets you can't give booze too. I just don't see the attraction. To each his own, I guess. I'd rather hang out with the drunk midget myself.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom