King Cake shop recommendation (1 Viewer)

Madmarsha

I default to sarcasm
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score

zatsnzapps

Do you have a pwobwem...?
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Bawlmer, Merlyn via Birmingham and Metairie/Kenner

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have driven by there SO many times and never gone in.
Best donuts and king cakes in the state. I’ve lived in New Orleans and Lafayette. Better than them all including Meches

Madmarsha

I default to sarcasm
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Best donuts and king cakes in the state. I’ve lived in New Orleans and Lafayette. Better than them all including Meches
I'd always wondered. Where I grew up, we had the best doughnut shops (IMO) and I gave up always being disappointed after I moved down here.

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
When I was coming up, there were two kinds of king cakes readily available in our area:

1) the McKenzie’s brioche king cake with no white frosting, just colored sugar and sprinkles

2) the Tastee Donuts pink-&-teal “giant donut” king cake, also with colored sugar and maybe a thin layer of donut glaze. No white frosting.

This McKenzie’s commercial shows the old brioche king cakes ... and they also introduced the dread white frosting on the then-new “coffee cake” style king cake.

Today, two bakeries in Terrytown make the closest renditions of these two old-school styles that I’ve found in the N.O. area. Hi-Do Bakery (Terry at Stumpf) still bakes delicious brioche king cakes decorated only with colored sugar — no frosting. And Terrytown Cafe (Terry & Carol Sue) still makes the “giant donut” style reminiscent of Tastee Donuts — only they use Mardi Gras colors now, no more pink & teal,

Last edited:

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
Dong Phoung and Manny Randazzos are the best king cakes. Randazzos for traditional, DP for a new take.
Almost all the new-style king cakes just use so, so much white frosting. I had been hearing about Dong Phuong king cakes for years before I tried one. The unadorned cake is actually really good, but they turn it into a frosting bomb. I guess that’s what’s popular these days ... I have to scrape all that icing off.

All the various Randazzo’s king cakes are the same way — but Dong Phuong has them beat on the underlying cake.

boutrous

the only way I know how
Reaction score
When I was coming up, there were two kinds of king cakes readily available in our area:

1) the McKenzie’s brioche king cake with no white frosting, just colored sugar and sprinkles

2) the Tastee Donuts pink-&-teal “giant donut” king cake, also with colored sugar and maybe a thin layer of donut glaze. No white frosting.

This McKenzie’s commercial shows the old brioche king cakes ... and they also introduced the dread white frosting on the then-new “coffee cake” style king cake.

Today, two bakeries in Terrytown make the closest renditions of these two old-school styles that I’ve found in the N.O. area. Hi-Do Bakery (Terry at Stumpf) still bakes delicious brioche king cakes decorated only with colored sugar — no frosting. And Terrytown Cafe (Terry & Carol Sue) still makes the “giant donut” style reminiscent of Tastee Donuts — only they use Mardi Gras colors now, no more pink & teal,
Tastee on West Esplanade and Transcontinental makes the old ones. District Donuts does a version of both styles above and they are great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom