King Cake shop recommendation (4 Viewers)

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
Is the Almond Creme king cake from Dong Phuong good?

The Skinnamon, Pecan, Creme Cheese, and Almond all sound good but are they?

RKNSaint

Idle Wild
Reaction score
You're welcome. I'm still waiting to get one of those Dong Phuong cakes which everyone says is the best, but I guess I'll have to go mail order myself.

This is my local place and are my favorite because of all the different cream cheese filled flavors; but we'll just go pick up, though, they do ship, too, of course.

Used to work there during King Cake season back when Sherry's mom ran it from the original location on N. Main. I was the delivery dude. :cool:

SAINTSFAN

Contributor
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Dong Phoung and Manny Randazzos are the best king cakes. Randazzos for traditional, DP for a new take.
I like Randazzos, but was disappointed in Dong Phoungs. Not sure what the fuss is about.

1K SPORT

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I like Randazzo's. It's what I grew up on and what I have shipped out every year. But I also like Dong Phoung's. I have a couple of Dong Phoung's being shipped out to me. They are different. I guess I'm just mixing it up this year.

SoggyBottomBoy

I'm with you fellers.
Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score

where yat brah

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Gulf Breeze, FL via NOLA via Donaldsonville/Frankl
They hold the record for the biggest king cake, measuring at 3 kilometers long (1.86 miles)
Not sure if controversial:

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if controversial:

Interesting.

That describes a record based on weight, not size. Even then, I don't know how they weighted that one, but flour alone, the one made in Tizimín used more than 2 tons of flour, which is more than the weight stated in that link. But I guess they weighted that one and not the one in Tizimin.

nolaspe

nolaspe
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Manny Randazzo's is my jam for shipping one. I've never had any issues with them.

I made the mistake of ordering one from Gambino's last yr since I wanted a specific filling in it, and it arrived utterly destroyed like it had been the official soccer ball of an all-gorilla team. They sent a 2nd one for free after I reported it to them and same result.

Chalk it up to the delivery service or lack of appropriate 'fragile' labeling by Gambino's, but if away from NOLA, I don't think I'd order from them again.

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
No longer at the Mortuary, it's now at the (unfortunately closed down because COVID killed watching movies in a crowded theater ) Broad Street Theatre location.

I went there last year on a Saturday morning (maybe 9am ish), and they had a big selection, but they were still waiting on cakes to be delivered. I get that you want a fresh king cake, and good on them for only selling fresh, but I was a bit disappointed that the cakes weren’t already in stock.

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
that tastee is a god damn national treasure.
You can say that again. I remember being in grades 1-5, and when king cake season came around when it was my turn to bring the king cake my folks would stop at McKenzie’s on Ferret St (I think Creole Creamery is there now), and we would get one of those rectangular monstrosities (with a cherry on each side, and sprinkles mixed in with the sugar). Ah simpler times.

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Meanwhile, in MX City, the outrage is real over a bakery replacing the effigies of Baby Jesus that go inside the cake with effigies of Baby Yoda.

rosca.jpg

Madmarsha

I default to sarcasm
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Used to work there during King Cake season back when Sherry's mom ran it from the original location on N. Main. I was the delivery dude. :cool:
I didn't even know about that location. I only know about the last one before the current one which was up 43.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom