King Cake shop recommendation (1 Viewer)

Madmarsha

I default to sarcasm
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Meanwhile, in MX City, the outrage is real over a bakery replacing the effigies of Baby Jesus that go inside the cake with effigies of Baby Yoda.

rosca.jpg
I love it.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You can say that again. I remember being in grades 1-5, and when king cake season came around when it was my turn to bring the king cake my folks would stop at McKenzie’s on Ferret St (I think Creole Creamery is there now), and we would get one of those rectangular monstrosities (with a cherry on each side, and sprinkles mixed in with the sugar). Ah simpler times.
Prytania

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That’s right. Man, that area has changed a lot since Katrina.
the areas around it have changed but in that block it’s very similar. I lived right there through Katrina and that CVS closed for maybe a day. We shopped in there for months on mildewed carpet (I still don’t remember how they got water because most of south of St Charles did not)

Marty_Graw

Don't Rain on My Parade
Reaction score
Any recommendations here in the Houston area?
Move?

Aside from moving, a former co-worker who lives in Houston recommended Three Brothers Bakery. Believe they have 2 or 3 locations, but I don't know. She also recommended The Acadian Bakers in the Montrose section of town. Said it would be rather "uppity and expensive". But, she also didn't know if they were even still open.

Madmarsha

I default to sarcasm
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Move?

Aside from moving, a former co-worker who lives in Houston recommended Three Brothers Bakery. Believe they have 2 or 3 locations, but I don't know. She also recommended The Acadian Bakers in the Montrose section of town. Said it would be rather "uppity and expensive". But, she also didn't know if they were even still open.
Google says closed now. Can't imagine being all uppity and closing down and stuff.

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
You can say that again. I remember being in grades 1-5, and when king cake season came around when it was my turn to bring the king cake my folks would stop at McKenzie’s on Ferret St (I think Creole Creamery is there now), and we would get one of those rectangular monstrosities (with a cherry on each side, and sprinkles mixed in with the sugar). Ah simpler times.
Loved those king cakes. I remember how some kids wouldn't touch the cherry pieces with a ten foot pole, but I was down.

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
Ummmm....McKenzies???

Just kidding. The tastee donuts on Harrison in lakeview.
Eater New Orleans' website says they have the old McKenzie's style at the Clearview & West Metairie Tastee Donuts also.

The Tastee on Transcontinental & West Esplanade used to have them, too, but I had struck out a few visits in a row maybe 5 or 6 years ago, so I gave up going there and just switched to the similar and nearby Hi-Do (Terrytown).

You know what my Internet Holy Grail is? Finding an actual picture of the old Tastee Donuts pink and teal "giant donut" king cake, circa 1978-1979. They had one or two plastic clown heads skewered into the cake.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom