King Cake shop recommendation (1 Viewer)

COsaintsfan

Longtime Lurker
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Is the Almond Creme king cake from Dong Phuong good?

The Skinnamon, Pecan, Creme Cheese, and Almond all sound good but are they?
This thread has me ready to try one.
I can't get the calendar to let me pick a ship date on their website....
Guess I'll have to call.

RKNSaint

Idle Wild
Reaction score
I didn't even know about that location. I only know about the last one before the current one which was up 43.
Yep. Ms. Shirley opened the original on N. Main. 315 maybe 317 N. Main. Tiny place. The bldg is still there. Sherry moved to the 43 location which first started out life as The Store (Convenience).

Madmarsha

I default to sarcasm
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. Ms. Shirley opened the original on N. Main. 315 maybe 317 N. Main. Tiny place. The bldg is still there. Sherry moved to the 43 location which first started out life as The Store (Convenience).
Did not know that. Wow. I think I know which building you mean. Or close anyway.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
the areas around it have changed but in that block it’s very similar. I lived right there through Katrina and that CVS closed for maybe a day. We shopped in there for months on mildewed carpet (I still don’t remember how they got water because most of south of St Charles did not)
It was an Eckerd.

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
Someone brought a Dong Phuong king cake to work. I was not impressed.
The rep has gotten a little too big. Very good king cakes, but not blowing competitors out of the water.

Reaction to the Dong Phuong cake is dependent on what specific type you generally like. If you're a white-frosting lover and/or an aficionado of fillings, Dong Phuong is going to be top-shelf -- and you probably count the various Randazzo's cakes among your favorites.

If you favor the old-school brioche king cakes, or the donut-shop fried king cake style, then Dong Phuong won't ring the bell for you. Now then ... Dong Phuong does have a good cake base (my memory is that it was brioche) -- I'm sure they could make a special-order unfilled cake with no white icing, just a brush of simple syrup and a layer of colored sugar, and that cake would rock.

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hell, I remember when that mall was a Winn-Dixie (prior to it moving to Tchoupitoulas).
me too. That’s the route my dad would bring us to school every morning and we would stop at that little store on Upperline across from the Winn Dixie. We did all our small shopping there and would drive out Airline to the huge Shweggmanns once a week.

i grew up right there at Octavia.

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction to the Dong Phuong cake is dependent on what specific type you generally like. If you're a white-frosting lover and/or an aficionado of fillings, Dong Phuong is going to be top-shelf -- and you probably count the various Randazzo's cakes among your favorites.

I used to live walking distance to a bakery or restaurant (can’t remember which ) on Harrison Ave in Lakeview that carried the Dong Phuong cakes.. So while people were waiting in lines for an hour in the East or wherever their main place is, i was walking around the corner and grabbing a couple whenever the mood struck.. I am special. :0016:

That said, i dont remember them being all that remarkable-tasting... i think it’s one of those things, like ‘Everyone cluck like a chicken’ or ‘Everyone say Mr Blue Sky is handsome and charming’ , and soon it’s the latest rage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom