King Cake shop recommendation (4 Viewers)

When I was coming up, there were two kinds of king cakes readily available in our area:

1) the McKenzie’s brioche king cake with no white frosting, just colored sugar and sprinkles

2) the Tastee Donuts pink-&-teal “giant donut” king cake, also with colored sugar and maybe a thin layer of donut glaze. No white frosting.

This McKenzie’s commercial shows the old brioche king cakes ... and they also introduced the dread white frosting on the then-new “coffee cake” style king cake.

Pretty sure my first one was a McKenzie's.

They make a tres leches king cake at ideal grocery on brad st
It’s delightful!
Always wondered why those 3 guys stopped their leching long enough to become bakers.

(Yes, that's a stretch for that joke)

Where else? La Providencia in Mérida :hihi:
King cake is big in my hometown, even bigger in MX City. The last couple years, my favorite is the "dead cake", a king cake with a pan de muerto in the center. I won't make it down there until the 8th, but I already ordered a couple, and they'll make them for me when I get there.

kingcake2.png

Unfortunately, for obvious reasons, the town of Tizimín will not have their annual fair and make their giant king cake. They hold the record for the biggest king cake, measuring at 3 kilometers long (1.86 miles)
kingcakelong.jpg

I went to the mortuary last year and I was completely unimpressed with selection and price. Picked up a Dong Phung instead. For those that haven’t had it it’s more like heavy croissant than a standard king cake

for ice cream fans, Angelo Bracatas King Cake ice cream is awesome. Just the right amount of cinnamon

My vote is Duong Phong (huge thumbs down to Randazzos's - much too sugary) - but this is the ULTIMATE guide, done by a friend of mine.

You're welcome. I'm still waiting to get one of those Dong Phuong cakes which everyone says is the best, but I guess I'll have to go mail order myself.

This is my local place and are my favorite because of all the different cream cheese filled flavors; but we'll just go pick up, though, they do ship, too, of course.

Dong Phoung cakes to me, are my favorite. I also like La Boulangerie king cakes. They are the very traditional French brioche type.

https://laboulangerienola.com/

I've had theirs and it's good but not as good as Sweet and Savory.
That is the location of what once was, Avaiolasti’s bakery back in the 60’s and for a number of decades. And they had my favorite king cake and wedding cakes when they were in existence. I wonder if Sweet Savors bakery has the recipe of the Avaiolasti king cakes and wedding cakes? Interesting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom