King Cake shop recommendation (1 Viewer)

Someone brought a Dong Phuong king cake to work. I was not impressed.
The rep has gotten a little too big. Very good king cakes, but not blowing competitors out of the water.

Reaction to the Dong Phuong cake is dependent on what specific type you generally like. If you're a white-frosting lover and/or an aficionado of fillings, Dong Phuong is going to be top-shelf -- and you probably count the various Randazzo's cakes among your favorites.

If you favor the old-school brioche king cakes, or the donut-shop fried king cake style, then Dong Phuong won't ring the bell for you. Now then ... Dong Phuong does have a good cake base (my memory is that it was brioche) -- I'm sure they could make a special-order unfilled cake with no white icing, just a brush of simple syrup and a layer of colored sugar, and that cake would rock.

Hell, I remember when that mall was a Winn-Dixie (prior to it moving to Tchoupitoulas).

me too. That’s the route my dad would bring us to school every morning and we would stop at that little store on Upperline across from the Winn Dixie. We did all our small shopping there and would drive out Airline to the huge Shweggmanns once a week.

i grew up right there at Octavia.

Reaction to the Dong Phuong cake is dependent on what specific type you generally like. If you're a white-frosting lover and/or an aficionado of fillings, Dong Phuong is going to be top-shelf -- and you probably count the various Randazzo's cakes among your favorites.

I used to live walking distance to a bakery or restaurant (can’t remember which ) on Harrison Ave in Lakeview that carried the Dong Phuong cakes.. So while people were waiting in lines for an hour in the East or wherever their main place is, i was walking around the corner and grabbing a couple whenever the mood struck.. I am special. :0016:

That said, i dont remember them being all that remarkable-tasting... i think it’s one of those things, like ‘Everyone cluck like a chicken’ or ‘Everyone say Mr Blue Sky is handsome and charming’ , and soon it’s the latest rage.

I used to live walking distance to a bakery or restaurant (can’t remember which ) on Harrison Ave in Lakeview that carried the Dong Phuong cakes.. So while people were waiting in lines for an hour in the East or wherever their main place is, i was walking around the corner and grabbing a couple whenever the mood struck.. I am special. :0016:

That said, i dont remember them being all that remarkable-tasting... i think it’s one of those things, like ‘Everyone cluck like a chicken’ or ‘Everyone say Mr Blue Sky is handsome and charming’ , and soon it’s the latest rage.
That was Pizza NOLA. The best part was they blasted them in the pizza ovens and the cinnamon and sugar would leak out and make a carmelized crust at the bottom.... those were way better than the current "properly" baked versions you get. If you didnt think it was remarkable then, you surely wouldn't like it now. Unless more generic is your thing, then you might love them more.

That was Pizza NOLA. The best part was they blasted them in the pizza ovens and the cinnamon and sugar would leak out and make a carmelized crust at the bottom.... those were way better than the current "properly" baked versions you get. If you didnt think it was remarkable then, you surely wouldn't like it now. Unless more generic is your thing, then you might love them more.

Pizza NOLA! Yeah that was it.. i think they actually closed down in the time i lived there, this was 2 or 3 yrs ago.. Their food was pretty good from what i remember though.

As far as king cake, they are kind of like pizza, in that even when theyre not great, theyre still pretty damn good.. although ever since they started making them with fillings, cream cheese etc- i find that I’m spoiled and it’s hard to get into the ‘plain’ ones these days.

Always wanted to try the king cake vodka. Any of them any good?

Yes! Ive had a lot of the Taaka one and a taste of the Pinnacle one. But I like it straight out the freezer. I don't have a cocktail recipe for you.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom