King Cakes (1 Viewer)

sof2xlc

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Since its officially King Cake season, I was wondering where can I order a king cake online that wont cost me 30+ dollars.

KardiacKat

Very Banned
Reaction score
Did not notice Cajun Pecan House mentioned, they are my favorite, besides the ones I bake myself.
Care to share an "authentic" recipe? Also, I've had King Cake before, but I don't know how authentic it was. How should it taste? Also, describe texture.

feoinfunroe

Reaction score
Not OK on Ash Wednesday. King Cakes are permissible during the entire Carnival season which runs from Twelfth night (Jan 6) to Mardi Gras day (Feb 16th, this year).
Actually, technically, King Cakes should be eaten only on Jonie's Birth....er, um, I mean Epiphany.

The symbolism is the baby hidden in the cake, being the baby Jesus. Joseph was warned by the "wise men" that Herod was coming to kill Jesus, because they had told Herod before that they were in search of the "KING".

So the day the Wise men visited is called Epiphany. And the King Cake contains a baby hidden within it, because it's symbolic of the baby Jesus being "hidden" by the "flight to Egypt".

More symbolism would be that whoever finds the baby is "lucky", because of the obvious. But whoever finds the baby is responsible for providing the cake the next year, because blessings require commitment.

Now these days, we do accept King Cakes until Mardi Gras..but that's mostly for the tourists. But if you think about it, really, how long would it take to fly from Bethleham to Egypt? :idunno:

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
Now these days, we do accept King Cakes until Mardi Gras..but that's mostly for the tourists.
I'm not going to argue the religious allegory of the whole thing, but I'm pretty sure that the church did NOT invent the king cake.

And those bakeries and groceries are not producing king cakes throughout carnival "for the tourists".

feoinfunroe

Reaction score
I'm not going to argue the religious allegory of the whole thing, but I'm pretty sure that the church did NOT invent the king cake.

And those bakeries and groceries are not producing king cakes throughout carnival "for the tourists".
The whole idea of Carnival has its roots in the Church. Our ancestors brought it here, and we've protected the traditions.

Pagan + Christianity = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
The whole idea of Carnival has its roots in the Church. Our ancestors brought it here, and we've protected the traditions.

Pagan + Christianity = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I agree with that. And the church has its roots in Paganism (I bet those BC Mardi Gras were awesome). Not arguing either of those at all.

But suggesting long standing Mardi Gras traditions like King Cake throughout the Carnivial season conflict with church tradition is ridiculous.

feoinfunroe

Reaction score
I agree with that. And the church has its roots in Paganism (I bet those BC Mardi Gras were awesome). Not arguing either of those at all.

But arguing long standing Mardi Gras traditions like King Cake throughout the Carnivial season conflict with church tradition is ridiculous.
OK, I apologize. I see your point. I was just trying to give little info about what the King Cake means.

I wasn't trying to insult anyone.

Dammit to Hell...the "road to heaven"...:sulkoff:

Deuceistheman

Very Banned
Reaction score
McKenzies only had the cherries in the large cakes, and the baby was always right underneath the cherry.
That may be true for the last few years they were in business, but I can guarantee you, that wasn't always the case. If your are 50, or older, you would know. The cherries were on all king cakes sold and the baby was randomly placed.

Anyway, you should try the king cakes from the Tastee Donuts (McKenzies) on Harrison ave. in New Orleans. They have a ton of old McKenzies items. More then wht you will find elsewhere.

City Champ

HOF 2010
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That may be true for the last few years they were in business, but I can guarantee you, that wasn't always the case. If your are 50, or older, you would know. The cherries were on all king cakes sold and the baby was randomly placed.

Anyway, you should try the king cakes from the Tastee Donuts (McKenzies) on Harrison ave. in New Orleans. They have a ton of old McKenzies items. More then wht you will find elsewhere.
The Harrison Ave McKenzie's was the only McKenzie's we would go to. Are you telling me it has been replaced by a Tastee's and they are producing REAL McKenzie's cakes? If so, this is greatness because the last Tastee's McKenzie's replica I had was TERRIBLE!

And feo is right. The King Cake is a Catholic tradition and the baby is Jesus, but don't let that stop anyone from eating fiddy of them!

KardiacKat

Very Banned
Reaction score
ehem. Would anyone like to post an authentic recipe? I have been into baking/desserts lately, and I would really like to try making one for Mardi Gras.

Jason

Porkchop Express
Reaction score
I decided that I was going to try to make my own King Cake last year because I was tired of the over glazed, no flavor dough types that I was getting of late. I wanted to get something as close to McKenzie's King Cake as possible. I found this brioche king cake recipe and it was pretty good. I omitted the bourbon in the glaze. The cake turned out a little denser than I was hoping.

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2007/01/06/king-cake-recipe/

Attachments

City Champ

HOF 2010
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
ehem. Would anyone like to post an authentic recipe? I have been into baking/desserts lately, and I would really like to try making one for Mardi Gras.
I suggest googling Brioche king cake and see what pops up. Unless you have actually had one, its hard to describe what it should taste like...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom