King Cakes (2 Viewers)

and if you are going to ship, shy away from the traditional brioche cakes. They will sweat terribly in the plastic and it will ruin your cake (thanks for the tip TPS).

This. It may not be traditional but its fantastic. Like a giant donut with extra stuff on/in it.

but thats not really a king cake?

gambinos is my favorite, they do ship.

http://www.gambinos.com/shop/default.php?cPath=21

here you go, saints king cake

saints%20kc1.jpg

but thats not really a king cake?
What defines a King cake. Shape? Flavors? Dough? Sugar sprinkles?

Meche's is very much a king cake as its not just a donut with filling and icing. Its more of a king cake with a glaze. It has the cinnamon and other stuff in/around the dough as well.

Either way, who gives a damn? Its good as ****.

Meche's is very much a king cake as its not just a donut with filling and icing. Its more of a king cake with a glaze. It has the cinnamon and other stuff in/around the dough as well.

I agree. Meche's makes a good king cake.

the true definition of a king cake is the dough used to make it. Now a days you will be hard pressed to find a king cake. McKenzie's (now Tastees) makes a traditional cake but its not nearly as good as it used to be. A real king cake is a french concoction made of Brioche. Today's cakes are nothing like the real deal and to be honest, while they are tasty, not nearly as good.

A real king cake is a french concoction made of Brioche. Today's cakes are nothing like the real deal and to be honest, while they are tasty, not nearly as good.

Is that a galette de rois?

I am a McKenzies man but I have since converted to Gambino's. Pay the extra cash and get a decent cake, brah!

Hell yeah. Since I had to leave, I get a doberge and a king cake from Gambino's shipped to Tulsa every year. It is pricey but so very worth it.

When McKenzies folded i was so depressed that my Blackout cake went away. I am still feeling the pain.

Not sure about the delivery cost, but this is by far the best king cake.

http://www.cajunpecanhouse.com/

Edit: Rouses makes a good king cake, but for that price you might as well get one from the Pecan House or the Swiss Confectionery on St. Charles. Both worth the price.

Did not notice Cajun Pecan House mentioned, they are my favorite, besides the ones I bake myself.

its still a donut. if I put sprinkles and icing on a pile of poop its still a pile of poop!

Is that a galette de rois?

I believe it is a take from it. The old McKenzie's cake were made from brioche and denser than the galette de rois. Additionally it had colored sugar sprinkled around the cake with cherries on each end. The cake was not nearly as sweet as today's king cakes and focused primarily on the dough used to make it.

This picture is of a McKenzie's cake. Unfortunately this cake is ruined because they left it in the bag too long and the yeast and sugar have started to interact and sweat, ruining the cake.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 130
I always hated the cherry pieces, but they had the baby about 75% of the time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom