Kipers latest mock: Aqib Talib (1 Viewer)

I just think its funny people talk about these guys like there "definit"...you draft the player who fits what you do best...everybody wants who they think the "top guy" is and he may not fit what the teams scheme is, you want someone who will thrive in your system or make you system complete...I cant wait for this draft weekend.....i'm just ready to stop with these debates...we've changed our minds so many times on here about who we want, from LB, DT to CB...who to take at #10.....one more week!!!!!

Champ Bailey was abused by Joe Horn with two gimpy knees back in 2004, so yeah even the immortal Champ Bailey gets beaten. However, anyone expecting any of the CB's in this year's draft to be Champ Bailey are going to be disappointed.

Talib's scouting report compares him more to Mike McKenzie. Talib lacks great make-up speed (like McKenzie) to cover his mistakes when he gambles in coverage, which he does a lot (like McKenzie). More often than not, his gambles pay off (like McKenzie) but that style of play can run real hot and cold (like McKenzie). I don't think that he is that physical of a tackler (unlike McKenzie) but his weaknesses can all be corrected by coaching or covered by schemes (like McKenzie).

I'm not saying that he's going to light the world on fire or ever make the Pro Bowl, but to not draft the guy because he has been up-front and honest about when he tested for marijuana three times a few years ago is a pretty poor reason to pass up on his talent.

Talib was suspended for two games in 2006 for disciplinary reasons and has numerous non-drug-related issues that concern teams

NFL Draft - NFL draft preview and analysis from Pro Football Weekly

For those concerned about Talib... just look at the numbers... his numbers blow everyone else's out of the water. He's hands down the best CB in the draft.

For those concerned about Talib... just look at the numbers... his numbers blow everyone else's out of the water. He's hands down the best CB in the draft.

I assume you mean his in-game stats and not his workout numbers? Production in college does not automatically mean production in the pros, especially if you aren't in the right system.

See, I have never understood why he isn't as highly rated. He's proven himself time-and-time again. He has shown enough speed and agility to play man coverage. He's shown to have a good nose for the ball. He doesn't have top-end catch up speed which iks bad because he likes to gamble, but he is very coachable and will likely improve when he refines his technique.

There is very little negative. Now, he's no top ten pick, but he's worth a 1st Round choice IMO.

I completely agree! Talib definately looks the most Pro ready to me......I think all of the hate comes from the one highlight that has Jordy Nelson taking his school money. Other than that one clip the guy is sticky.

I would take this guy before a couple of the more hyped players.

The only way I would take Talib is if it would be to replace Bullocks. He can't handle NFL man coverage, but he would make a good FS or cover 2 CB.
it irritates me so much when I hear this. If this was the case every CB from now of should be a Cover 2 CB and every defense should be a cover 2 defense because there is no shut down CB anymore.

it irritates me so much when I hear this. If this was the case every CB from now of should be a Cover 2 CB and every defense should be a cover 2 defense because there is no shut down CB anymore.

No, just the ones that have stiff hips and lack top end recovery speed.

Wow, slow down. Not one corner in this draft can be compared to Primetime, he ran the 40-Yard dash in 4.1 freaking seconds.

Agreed that Deion is WAY better than any of these CB's, but he most certainly did not run the 40 in that time. Deion said he ran it in that time, but noone recorded him running it that fast, and it was just self-promotion made up by Neon Deion. He was extremely fast, but not that fast.

I can honestly say Champ Bailey has never been beat that badly in the NFL much less in college against an average receiver. He never had someone that runs a 4.51 40 blow by him like his cleats were made of slippery steel. Champ Bailey has also never been mentioned in the same sentence with words like poor character, bad work ethic and he certainly never tested positive for marijuana three times in college. Champ Bailey has been to one Pro Bowl after the other and has shut down some of the best WR's the NFL has been able to offer up over the past 5 years.

.....then you missed a Monday Nighter 2 years ago where Ocho Cinco blew past Bailey twice for TD's. Didn't Ocho run in the 4.5's too coming out? Just saying.....

BClemms, I respect your opinion, but you're dead wrong on this one.

Talib was suspended for two games in 2006 for disciplinary reasons and has numerous non-drug-related issues that concern teams

NFL Draft - NFL draft preview and analysis from Pro Football Weekly
Maybe you missed it, but I already covered this. He was suspended because he failed the drug test. He told Mangino before he took the test that he was going to fail and why. He learned his lesson and has not failed once since he failed those three freshman year.

Randy Moss, Warren Sapp, Lawrence Taylor, Claude Wroten, etc vs. Ricky Williams?

I mean really, how often has weed derailed a player's career and bitten a team? Also, "numerous non-drug-related issues" is B.S. What are they? His coach has been open about the failed drug tests and said that was the only problem he had with Talib. There's literally no public evidence of this guy causing problems. Even the KU message boards can't seem to figure out what these mysterious issues are. It seems like the old media rumormill making something out of nothing because that's all the negative they have on the guy.

ProFootballWeekly is well known for making up stuff anyway. In this instance, it looks like they either made ti up or stole it verbatim from one of a dozen draft websites who have the same stuff posted.

Maybe you missed it, but I already covered this. He was suspended because he failed the drug test. He told Mangino before he took the test that he was going to fail and why. He learned his lesson and has not failed once since he failed those three freshman year.

Randy Moss, Warren Sapp, Lawrence Taylor, Claude Wroten, etc vs. Ricky Williams?

I mean really, how often has weed derailed a player's career and bitten a team? Also, "numerous non-drug-related issues" is B.S. What are they? His coach has been open about the failed drug tests and said that was the only problem he had with Talib. There's literally no public evidence of this guy causing problems. Even the KU message boards can't seem to figure out what these mysterious issues are. It seems like the old media rumormill making something out of nothing because that's all the negative they have on the guy.

ProFootballWeekly is well known for making up stuff anyway. In this instance, it looks like they either made ti up or stole it verbatim from one of a dozen draft websites who have the same stuff posted.
Right on. I didn't even notice the link was PFW. That post loses all cred right there.

Champ Bailey does get beat sometimes.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T7QGaNwBELw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T7QGaNwBELw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom