Kiper's Take on the Top DBs in Draft (1 Viewer)

Bee Rad

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Dane (Ohio): With all the DBs entering the draft, what does the top five cornerbacks look like? Does Justin King have a chance to be a late first rounder?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:21 PM ET ) The top five CBs are Aqib Talib from Kansas. He's the No. 1. He should go in the top 10. Then it's Reggie Smith from Oklahoma, who's a combo, a S/CB. He'll hit you, he has range. I would probably go with Brandon Flowers from Virginia Tech No. 3. He's a junior. Tremendous break on the ball. He finished third on the team in tackles. Four, I'd think about Justin King. What he lacked this year was consistency. He would have benefitted from another year. He has tremendous computer numbers at the CB slot. He'll go more on potential than performance. Right there will be Leodis McKelvin, Tracy Porter. Because of these juniors coming out, you have a pretty good group of CBs. There is a lot of help coming from the CB group.

i asked a saint question, but cant wait to see if he ignores it a usual

Lee(portland, OR): Is there really any hype surrounding the number one pick, (Glen Dorsey) is this guy for real? Is he a game changer?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:44 PM ET ) If you saw the national title game, when he's not at 40 or 50% like he was at the end of the year. He's a tremendous young man. Great character. He has the fever for football. He elevates the play around him by being on the field. He's a destructive DT when he's at full strength and worthy of being the No. 1 pick.

Dane (Ohio): With all the DBs entering the draft, what does the top five cornerbacks look like? Does Justin King have a chance to be a late first rounder?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:21 PM ET ) The top five CBs are Aqib Talib from Kansas. He's the No. 1. He should go in the top 10. Then it's Reggie Smith from Oklahoma, who's a combo, a S/CB. He'll hit you, he has range. I would probably go with Brandon Flowers from Virginia Tech No. 3. He's a junior. Tremendous break on the ball. He finished third on the team in tackles. Four, I'd think about Justin King. What he lacked this year was consistency. He would have benefitted from another year. He has tremendous computer numbers at the CB slot. He'll go more on potential than performance. Right there will be Leodis McKelvin, Tracy Porter. Because of these juniors coming out, you have a pretty good group of CBs. There is a lot of help coming from the CB group.

No Mike Jenkins?

No Mike Jenkins?

I was just thinking the same thing. How in the world is this guy not even named as a top 5. He is a consensus top 3 corner. Until the combine and senior bowl week, don't read too much into who they believe are the top guys. This can and will change, remember how much Laron Landry flew up after the combine and Patrick Willis after Senior Bowl week???

Mike Jenkins has not declared himself for the draft yet. I think that Kiper was speaking on the declared players.

Mike Jenkins has not declared himself for the draft yet. I think that Kiper was speaking on the declared players.

Mike Jenkins does not have to declare for the draft. He's a senior. In other words, Mel Kiper does not know what the heck he's talking about. Justin King is a third round talent. He's terribly inconsistent and he has not lived up to his potential. Reggie Smith is likely to play safety in this league. To call Talib a top 10 talent at this point is a bit reaching considering some of the up and down performances he has had this year. He will have to wow scouts in order to move up, which means he'll be moving up more on measureables than what's on film. That does not mean that Talib is a bad corner. He's above average and has talent. He knows how to play the ball in the air. But he does have lapses in concentration and he has struggled against some of the top receivers he's faced. He also has to be able to show that he has legitimate 4.4 speed and I do not know if he can do that. If he does, that will likely solidify a mid-first round grade on him but, at this point, any talk of top 10 is Kiper covering all the bases to make sure that he gets it right on draft day. And that's not to disrespect Mel. I, unlike a lot of persons, actually like Mel and thinks he's knowledgeable. But he occasionally reaches with some of his arguments, I guess like we all do.

What happened to Arizona's Cason? A month ago, he was supposed to be right up there? That shows you how much of a science this is.

What happened to Arizona's Cason? A month ago, he was supposed to be right up there? That shows you how much of a science this is.

I think he is up there but there are legitimate questions about his speed. He's a solid cover cornerback but his speed might cost him some money. Right now, I say he's a late first rounder at best, more likely a second rounder. But I will also say this. If Cason goes out and runs a ridiculous 40, he will shoot up the draft board because he has a skillset in place to be an excellent player at the cornerback position. He just does not possess elite speed. He will also need to get into the weight room as he is a tad bit on the smaller side.

Mike Jenkins is in the draft and Mel Kiper forgot him? Call me when Mike Mayock has something to say.

LOL!! Its Kiper's opinion fellas... if he don't think Jenkins is worthy then fine... I like Jenkins... and if we were picking in the teens he'd be the perfect pick... but not at 10.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom