Kiper's view on Jacob Hester (1 Viewer)

I guess Roger Craig wasn't big enough either. :hihi:

When you have a big boned 225# back, he is only a few buckets of chicken away from 240. But then, you give up some speed, agility, and versatility. I think size is way over rated, especially for our system.

Just an aside, the strongest blocking back I have ever seen was the diminutive Troy Davis. When he locked up a defender, they weren't going anywhere. I guess leg pressing 600-800# is more important than weight.

About "heart"... I don't think Hester has any more heart than most other good football players. Very few players without heart make it all the way to the NFL. I remember a few exceptions, like Eric Dickerson. He was a bit of a wuss, but so immensely talented he still excelled.

Wasn't Roger Craig a running back? I know he was like the first to have 1000/1000 season. Even if he wasn't, that was what? 20 years ago? The game is alot different. DLmen are much stronger and faster.

Just for comparisons sake, Karney weighs 260 pounds. Even if Hester could get up to 245, he'd likely sacrifice all his other qualities. I think if he makes it anywhere it'll be as a running back or STer. I just don't see anyway he gets drafted to be a FB.

I just don't see anyway he gets drafted to be a FB.

I don't know how we could squeeze him into our scheme, but he will play for someone on Sundays. He's a "play maker", and that has a definite value in the NFL. We already have 3 play makers in our backfield.

We do not have room for Hester in the backfield, but I would take him for one of our special teams spots. Our special teams is not good at coverage. Yes, I do believe that Hester is going to make it for several years in the NFL.

For those of you who downplay "heart," you're sadly mistaken. There are plenty of players in the NFL who don't have heart. They have a TON of TALENT and POTENTIAL but never maximize it because they don't have enough heart. Can heart alone get someone into the NFL? No. But, if you think Hester falls into that category, you're mistaken as well. Hester has good speed for a biggger-than-average back with GREAT hands and football smarts. If you watched LSU the last couple years, you know that that guy NEVER EVER made a mental mistake. With guys who are on the bubble talent-wise, the differences between whether they can make it or not are usually heart and mental mistakes. Hester has those last two covered in spades.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom