Kiper's view on Jacob Hester (1 Viewer)

Totally agree

Hester will change the FB position. He will be a pass oriented FB who can get more than 3 yards a catch. He can be a guy who can run 10 yards and catch. He is fast and will be a good west coast offense FB. Book it. I really think he is a value at FB in the 3rd. Remember Colston as a TE he slipped to the 7th.

Superfan, I have to totally agree. Homer or not I want to jump on this band wagon with ya. I think some people are so homer paranoid that they overlook the facts. Hester has descent speed, great hands and vision, and though he isn't as big as traditional FB's he has just as much strength. Hester is strong and a great blocker, especially in pass protection. He will hit you in the mouth and love it. Chalk it up, given the chance in a west coast offence and he changes the position (the way it is played) and the potential it has in an offence. :ezbill:

Maybe he thinks the Bucs like him because he reminds them of Alstott, a fan favorite. He'd have to put on about 15-20 lbs to remind me of him.

Bingo. This is how i see him. A FB which i think he will be better at will change the way FB are used in the NFL. Imagine a FB as a passing threat. It's like how teams view duece and reggie in at the same time. would if it was Duece and Hester in with Colston , Reggie and Meachem at WR.

There have been plenty of FB's who have been great receivers.

Larry Centers was the best. He caught 66 passes in his third NFL season, then 77 the year after that, and in 1995, he had the greatest season of any fullback, recording a whopping 101 receptions for 962 yards, now the all-time single season record for a running back. In 1996, he recorded 99 receptions for 766 yards and 7 touchdowns, . He recorded 123 receptions and 386 rushing yards over the next 2 seasons.

Tony Richardson is also an excellent recevier, and there have been many in the past at the FB position. Hester is not some revolutionary player.

Oh yeah, and Larry Centers was 6'0", 225 pounds... Sound Familiar? Also, with Hester, he slimmed down from 260 lbs in high school, where he played nose tackle, so he has the frame to bulk up, if that's what the teams wanted him to do. I heard (WWL) a story about an Alabama fan, in response to an LSU fan saying he thought the other running backs (Williams, Scott, or Murphy) should be getting more touches, the Alabama fan said "I wish I had a team of 22 Hesters". I really couldn't agree more. The dude is a baller, and he will be around in the NFL, for years to come in some capacity. IMHO.

First, as far as receiving fullbacks, one of the best ever was one of our own -- TONY GALBREATH. Please don't forget him. While he was playing, he set a record for most receptions by a running back in a single season, I think.

Second, there have been quite a few football pundits, scouts and former players who have said that Jacob Hester will be playing on Sundays.

Hester will change the FB position. He will be a pass oriented FB who can get more than 3 yards a catch. He can be a guy who can run 10 yards and catch. He is fast and will be a good west coast offense FB. Book it. I really think he is a value at FB in the 3rd. Remember Colston as a TE he slipped to the 7th.

If used correctly, I can see this being a reality. It must be noted that Hester will never be a centerpiece, but could very well become that reliable, unspoken hero of someone's offense.

i seen the show on espn, and the only thing i didnt like is him not talking about Jacob's ability to take care of the ball. i believe duece fumbled more in his college career than jacob has, and his career hasnt turned out so bad. i really think he is better suited for running back than fullback. a decent sized running back with decent speed and the uncanny ability to take care of the rock.

personally i think if he lasts to the third round than the saints should jump all over him. Not because im a homer but because we need depth, and why not take a chance on a non fumbling running back

i seen the show on espn, and the only thing i didnt like is him not talking about Jacob's ability to take care of the ball. i believe duece fumbled more in his college career than jacob has, and his career hasnt turned out so bad. i really think he is better suited for running back than fullback. a decent sized running back with decent speed and the uncanny ability to take care of the rock.

Agreed. This guy NEVER coughs up the rock. He should have gotten praise for that. Did he even fumble at all last season? Or even in his entire LSU career? You would definitely want Hester if you have 3rd/4th and 1. Imagine if the Saints had him for those situations. I think that the entire opposing defense would bite on a play action to Hester while Brees throws to a wide open TE/WR in such short yardage situations.

I don't know if anyone saw this yesterday, but there was an Inside Sportscenter Draft Special talking about prospects in this upcoming NFL draft. (Sorry, no link. Saw it on TV. I'm sure it's on ESPN's video archives if you want to see it bad enough.) In one of the segments, ESPN took CB Antoine Cason, RB Jacob Hester, WR Dexter Jackson and a couple of other guys to New York City for interviews and what-not. Anyway, after that segment; they put Mel Kiper on to discuss Jacob Hester as a prospect. Kiper said that several teams were interested in Hester for his versitility, saying that he reminded him of FB Brian Leonard of the rams. Kiper also spoke glowingly about Hester's ability to get those tough yards on 3rd and short situations. What really perplexed me is that he said that he can see Hester going to the Buccaneers in the 3rd round. (YES, 3rd ROUND!!!) Now, I admit that I am one of those that made one of the hundreds of Pro-Hester For The Saints threads. I would love to have him anywhere from round 5 to 7. But a 3rd round pick?! Is Kiper smoking crack, or does he know something that we don't? Hester in the 3rd round is a very bold statement, even for Kiper. Thoughts anyone?

wow. the homerism of LSU and current saints players is reaching an absurd level on this board. it's kind of ridiculous

besides the LSU thing, anyone out there think hester could develop into a kevin faulk type back, not very blazing speed, not much shake and bake, but very instinctive, somehow finds the yards when the ball is in his hands. If the answer is yes, kiper isn't to quacky having hester in the third. If the answer is no, then kiper is way off the mark.

A FB which i think he will be better at will change the way FB are used in the NFL. Imagine a FB as a passing threat.

That's not "changing" anything. Tom Rathman, Larry Centers, hell just last year the Rams selected a more talented facsimile of Hester in Brian Leonard.

I like Hester but lets not go overboard.

That's not "changing" anything. Tom Rathman, Larry Centers, hell just last year the Rams selected a more talented facsimile of Hester in Brian Leonard.

I like Hester but lets not go overboard.

I mean in modern times. Today its kind of a forgotten position. He wont change it but lets say he will revive it.:9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom