Kiper's view on Jacob Hester (1 Viewer)

Couldn't this whole mess have gone into one of the 1,229,403 Jacob Hester love-fest threads already on this board?

No, but you could have easily avoided all 1,229,403 of them and the 1,229,404th one. :hihi:

Couldn't this whole mess have gone into one of the 1,229,403 Jacob Hester love-fest threads already on this board?

Why don't we package your post with the other hundred CargoJon LSU hate responses and make a multi-page thread of its own. :ylsmoke:

I think Jacob Hester brings out the worst in people on this forum. :hihi:

I say we trade up with the dolphins and take Hester just to be sure we get him
/sarcasmoff

now seriously, as said earlier, he will be a guy that can do a little of everything. Special teams, athletic fb, short yardage rb, and maybe even as a tight end in 2 tight end sets. He is probably 2-3 inches shorter and 20 lbs lighter than most tight ends, but I dont think hed be bad to have on a team as he could probably be a back up for most of those positions potentially saving some roster spots

Hester doesn't have the talent to make this team. He's not going to unseat Karney or Stecker, can't touch Reggie, and probably would have a hard time beating out PT. Deuce is either in 100% or out because he's not going to be beaten in training camp... not after having dumped a mil on him to keep him.

I love Hester and think he can do for some team what Alstott did for his, but he's not a fit for this team with this draft situation. If they cut Deuce, they're going to go after Forte pretty strongly in the 2nd (or trade next year's 1st and grab Stewart). The Saints wouldn't even have a shot at Hester until the 5th round, and they're almost certain to draft an offensive guard or center there unless they do it in one of the first 3 (Payton has a very strong interest in continuing to pull talent into the position later in the draft).

I don't think you can say he can't beat out anyone on our roster, look at what PT did to a guy we traded up to get last year. Unlikely but possible.

Why don't we package your post with the other hundred CargoJon LSU hate responses and make a multi-page thread of its own. :ylsmoke:

He just hates overrated LSU players.

I think some people would really take Hester in the 3rd round on this board.

:Singe1301:

He just hates overrated LSU players.

I think some people would really take Hester in the 3rd round on this board.

Some wouldn't take Hester as a UDFA, so there are always a few at each extreme.

I guess we aren't a FB oriented offense, more of a "finesse" running offense. So Hester would be of little value in our scheme.

That said, It bothers me a little that Karney is the only back that is capable of power blocking in short yardage situations. If he gets nicked, our short yardage game becomes even more limited. I would like to see another big bodied back come aboard. If not a FB, at least a 225# tail back or hybrid.

Some wouldn't take Hester as a UDFA, so there are always a few at each extreme.

I guess we aren't a FB oriented offense, more of a "finesse" running offense. So Hester would be of little value in our scheme.

That said, It bothers me a little that Karney is the only back that is capable of power blocking in short yardage situations. If he gets nicked, our short yardage game becomes even more limited. I would like to see another big bodied back come aboard. If not a FB, at least a 225# tail back or hybrid.

Hester isn't big enough to play FB in the NFL.

I know he has "heart" (I've heard that about a million times), but in the NFL, 226 pounds doesn't work for a blocking FB.

Hester isn't big enough to play FB in the NFL.

I know he has "heart" (I've heard that about a million times), but in the NFL, 226 pounds doesn't work for a blocking FB.

I guess Roger Craig wasn't big enough either. :hihi:

When you have a big boned 225# back, he is only a few buckets of chicken away from 240. But then, you give up some speed, agility, and versatility. I think size is way over rated, especially for our system.

Just an aside, the strongest blocking back I have ever seen was the diminutive Troy Davis. When he locked up a defender, they weren't going anywhere. I guess leg pressing 600-800# is more important than weight.

About "heart"... I don't think Hester has any more heart than most other good football players. Very few players without heart make it all the way to the NFL. I remember a few exceptions, like Eric Dickerson. He was a bit of a wuss, but so immensely talented he still excelled.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom