Kirk Cousins "holds more leverage than any quarterback in history" (1 Viewer)

I'm sure the Jets, Texans, Bills, or Broncos would be happy to overpay for Cousins.

Skins tagged Cousins. He will make $24 million in 2017 . . . unless they sign him to a deal by July 15.

I have a feeling they'll sign him.

There's noway you can let him play under the tag again. If he does, there's zero chance he will sign with them in 2018, if for no other reason than spite.

It is literally sickening to see how valuable and rare QBs are and we have one of the best ever and can't crack .500 3 years in a row!!!

:ipuker:

What makes it worse is the fact that we have that rare QB how also is a cool level headed person. Drew showed his frustration last year through social media and that was unlike him. We NEED to get our stuff together this year no if's and's or but's about it.

Some Twitter reaction:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tag! I&#39;m it!</p>&mdash; Kirk Cousins (@KirkCousins8) <a href="https://twitter.com/KirkCousins8/status/836643856951148544">February 28, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If Kirk Cousins has a good season he will likely wind up making more money over three years than anyone in NFL history. Timing = everything.</p>&mdash; Mike Greenberg (@Espngreeny) <a href="https://twitter.com/Espngreeny/status/836672598431920128">February 28, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Paying $24M for Kirk Cousins is akin to paying $11 for an airport beer. I mean, you don&#39;t want to pay that much, but you have no choice.</p>&mdash; Adam Rank (@adamrank) <a href="https://twitter.com/adamrank/status/836653100538576897">February 28, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't think Cousins is amazing, but what choice do teams have. Not everyone can be Rodgers, Brees, or Brady. Paying too much for an average/good qb is still way better than having absolutely no qb.

There's just no scenario where this works out well for Washington. And how can you give a monster contract to a corner who played almost entirely in a zone scheme, but not pay a QB putting up good numbers?

I mean look at the Osweiler contract, which you have to imagine they could've given Cousins something similar, but a little bit more. The Texans will still get out of it after 2 years with I think 6 million in dead money. It's sucks, but that's the worst case scenario. And unlike the Texans, the Redskins have a bad defense so they would've just gotten a much higher pick if Cousins was horrible.

Flip side, Cousins continues to improve and you lose a good qb because you were stubborn.

I don't think Cousins is amazing, but what choice do teams have. Not everyone can be Rodgers, Brees, or Brady. Paying too much for an average/good qb is still way better than having absolutely no qb.

There's just no scenario where this works out well for Washington. And how can you give a monster contract to a corner who played almost entirely in a zone scheme, but not pay a QB putting up good numbers?

I mean look at the Osweiler contract, which you have to imagine they could've given Cousins something similar, but a little bit more. The Texans will still get out of it after 2 years with I think 6 million in dead money. It's sucks, but that's the worst case scenario. And unlike the Texans, the Redskins have a bad defense so they would've just gotten a much higher pick if Cousins was horrible.

Flip side, Cousins continues to improve and you lose a good qb because you were stubborn.

It's hard to understand what they're not seeing in Cousins at this point. In two seasons as a starter, he has been in the top 3 in the league in completion percentage (avg. 68% as a starter). His TD/INT ratio is very solid - he threw 29/11 in 2015 and 25/12 in 2016. He eclipsed 4,000 yards in both seasons and last season finished 3rd in the league with 4,917 yards.

And I doubt most fans could name a single player on the Skins offensive line or in the Skins backfield. So what are they waiting for him to be?

It's hard to understand what they're not seeing in Cousins at this point. In two seasons as a starter, he has been in the top 3 in the league in completion percentage (avg. 68% as a starter). His TD/INT ratio is very solid - he threw 29/11 in 2015 and 25/12 in 2016. He eclipsed 4,000 yards in both seasons and last season finished 3rd in the league with 4,917 yards.

And I doubt most fans could name a single player on the Skins offensive line or in the Skins backfield. So what are they waiting for him to be?
They don't deserve him.

Matt Jones and Tulane's own Robert Kelly at RB. Brandon Scherrf at G (who I believe has really underperformed based on his pre-draft potential) and Trent Williams still plays OT for them, doesn't he?

That's all I got though. The rest of their offense is pretty pedestrian, although having Desean Jackson and Pierre Garcon is a pretty good one-two punch at WR.

He deserves a long-term contract. If they don't give it to him this year, someone will next year and the Skins will end up looking like the morons they always do.

Matt Jones and Tulane's own Robert Kelly at RB. Brandon Scherrf at G (who I believe has really underperformed based on his pre-draft potential) and Trent Williams still plays OT for them, doesn't he?

Well, check out the big brain on Brad.

I suppose Trent Williams is a multi-year pro-bowler. And Scherff is solid.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom