Kirk Merritt (1 Viewer)

Quick side note: Did you know Devery Henderson was also a highly rated RB coming outta HS before moving to WR at LSU?

Comin outta college, Dev was listed at bout 5’11 n 200 lbs. But as a Saint, I think he added another 10 lbs r so. N of course he was fast: 4.28 forty! So he n KM are somewhat similar in terms of both size n speed.

But like others have posted, a big question about KM is his route running. Like Dev, dude is so fast, he’s probably always relied more on his speed/athleticism.

Man, our WR group is jus so deep right now. But I think Merritt's combination of speed/athleticism/potential will afford him a closer look.

It’ll b up to HIM to make the most of it!

We’ll see

Yeah man, of course I knew Devery was a RB in HS and converted to WR at LSU.

He might not be as fast as Devery, but he might be more skilled to play more WR positions since Devery was mostly limited to the Z.

I like his quotes from the article I posted where he said he's like Deebo, but bigger and faster and that he can do everything.

I have him on all my dynasty teams.

He ran a 10.45 in the 100 meters in High School. That's insanely fast. He has a legit shot at making the team if he works really hard and things fall his way. He showed some receiving skills in college. He needs to have the playbook down cold and catch the ball. Every minute he isn't sleeping or practicing, he needs to have his eyes on the playbook. The TQS is the roster spot that he has the best shot at. He needs to learn the plays, block downfield and catch them all.

Why did the Dolphins cut him? I'm all in for him sticking around, especially if he's making plays, but i'm curious on why the Dolphins let him go if he's promising.

It's stating the obvious but he has an opportunity to compete, just like everybody else. If he performs and is good enough, there will be a solution. Even if he's only just 'close' to that 5th/6th WR spot he's got a good chance because he's cheap and can add value to special teams.

And in terms of WR blocking as a 'skill', yes, there is an element of technique and physicality required, but it feels like a lot of it based on desire and commitment to do it.

Basically, it's on him. Let's see what happens. If you're a bigger, faster and better version of Deebo, then making a roster should be no problem.

We keep 5 this year. We often forget about down field blocking. Mecheam i believe has this. Smith knows the plays, who knows. Good night.

Why did the Dolphins cut him? I'm all in for him sticking around, especially if he's making plays, but i'm curious on why the Dolphins let him go if he's promising.
Dolphins let Wes Welker walk out the door. I would not worry about the answer to that. Merritt has an up hill battle but he is trending in the right direction.

Pure 100% LOCKS to make the team:
Thomas
Olave
Landry

About 80-90%, unless injured, locks to make the team:
Calloway (more like an 80% guy, he has three guys clearly above him now)
Harty (return game makes him a near lock 90%)

About 50% chance to make the team if not injured AND if another player looks really good:
TQS

IF Kirk Merritt totally outplays TQS and IF TQS gets even a little bit banged up, he has a very legit shot to make the team. He needs to be a beast on Special Teams AND do some downfield blocking on running plays. This camp, and the next 4-5 weeks are, by far, his best shot to make it onto an NFL roster.

Hard disagree, I think people really underappreciate both Calloway and Harty which is kind of stunning because they are UDFA’s….Calloway is an absolute bargain I think his base is below 1 mil…..try to find another WR that produces for that amount….Harty has made a Pro bowl as a returner very recently and is really started to develop as a WR IMO….they were both relatively young UDFA “role” players that were suddenly thrown out there as the Saints top receiving options due to injuries….below is entirely lacking in context and situational awareness…..

Well...to be contrarian I will add this, we had the worst WR corp in the NFL last year, everyone who was part of that group shouldn't be safe.

You guys got me excited about this guy. He obviously has higher upside than TQS.

Hoping he shows enough to make the team. A 4.30 speed guy with Jameis can be lethal

I've been high on Merritt since we signed him. Initially I thought he was signed for a Deebo/AJ Brown role due to his size and playing style. The questions come up like the one above about what can he do, well the answer is everything. Also, he's still listed at 208lbs which I believe is inaccurate. He was 208bls at Ark St. and 215lbs at his pro day and he looks even bigger in photos from Miami and even now at training camp. I'd guess he's probably in the 215-225lbs range now.

I found an interesting article this morning that I hadn't read before from March 30, 2020 leading up to the draft.

Yeah, but... do THE SAINTS COACHES have that vision for him!

(I hope they are paying attention.)

He's 25, been in the league for 2 years on a mediocre Dolphins team that let him walk. He's played in 3 games and had 3 targets and 1 catch for 13 yards.
His measurables are ridiculous and he's flashing in training camp.

Plenty of reason for excitement, but that's all it is for now. Yes he has a chance to make the team, but his most likely path is through special teams. With those athletic scores, it's weird that the dolphins didn't use him on kick/punt teams.

He's wearing a fleur-de-lis on his helmet so I'm pulling for him. I'm just in the camp that thinks he's got a mountain to climb.

I'm also higher on TQS than most. But he's probably Merritt's competition for a roster spot. That being said, Tre'Quan's history of being on the injury list is Merritt's best chance of cracking the roster.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom