KJ Jefferson – Arkansas & Hendon Hooker, QB, Tennessee - Value late rd picks. (1 Viewer)

Hooker's gonna fall because of the ACL. If he falls enuf that we can grab him, we suffer thru another Dalton / Jameis season which means one more of DA proving what we already know. :cautious:
2024, bring in a HC & staff that can develop a healed Hooker, and we get this thing rolling again. We will have stole a #1 QB and bought the time/draft capital we need.
Nahhh. If there is a potential HC talent out there that is promising I hope Saints hire that.

But I feeling more afraid each passing week that DA is here to stay another year.

If he was a Rookie coach I would be perfectly okay with that. But he had negative cache upon his hire. He is sadly performing up or down to his track record.

Nahhh. If there is a potential HC talent out there that is promising I hope Saints hire that.

But I feeling more afraid each passing week that DA is here to stay another year.

If he was a Rookie coach I would be perfectly okay with that. But he had negative cache upon his hire. He is sadly performing up or down to his track record.

I feel like the only way DA is one and done is if they drop the next 5 of 6. If DA goes 3-3, he gets another year which will just waste all of our time.

I’m no homer, but tell me one thing you don’t like about Michael Pratt?? Dude is tough, accurate, and has that “take over the game” mode.

I feel like the only way DA is one and done is if they drop the next 5 of 6. If DA goes 3-3, he gets another year which will just waste all of our time.
Yeah, that would be horrible. The second Rd pick will be bad, Saints miss the playoffs and we as fans will be stuck with an aimless season next year.

They do have archetypes for pretty much every position, but I haven't seen one discussed for QB.

Dalton, Hill and Bridgewater are all 6'2" 215lbs+ and Winston is 6'4" ~230lbs. If they legit draft one to be QB1 or complete for QB1, my guess is they would be at least 6'2" 215lbs. I know RAS factors in for every other position, but I'm not sure what they will look for at QB. It's probably going to factor in with a lot of other factors.
Yes, I agree with all this and have no real idea of what the Saints look for… We do have Book as an idea of what they would do. He didn’t have much of a RAS score and he didn’t have great height weight…

The criteria could be the Parcells thing. So many starts. So many wins etc… Or it could simply be “good QB” is the criteria.

I probably would stay far away from Hooker unless you're gonna run a Heupul like system on offense. You're gonna have to bring someone in to run it.
If there is one thing we can all respect about this team it’s that they are more than capable of developing quarterbacks in a system that is compatible with the quarterbacks skillset.

Me: Overlooked QB KJ Jefferson is an interesting prospect w/ good size, and 67.3% completion rate w/ 21 TDs and only 4 INTs.....in the SEC. He wouldn't be someone we target but, we should take a look. In case he falls. Hendon Hooker is another over looked QB. He needs to gain 15lbs to his frame, to start in the NFL.

K.J. Jefferson, QB, Arkansas

Arkansas image
K.J. Jefferson, QB, Arkansas
Height: 6-3. Weight: 236.
Projected 40 Time: 4.65.
Projected Round (2023): 2-4.
View Ranking History

11/22/22: Jefferson has played solid football in 2022, including leading Arkansas to wins over Cincinnati and South Carolina. He was outstanding in a dominant outing against BYU after missing the game against Mississippi State. Jefferson has completed 67 percent of his passes this year for 2,149 yards, 20 touchdowns and three interceptions. On the ground, he has run for 389 yards and six touchdowns.
Overall, Jefferson has starting ability for the NFL. He possesses a quality arm, can throw the ball accurately, and generally makes good decisions. Jefferson also is a natural runner who can use his legs to help his offensive line while churning out tough yards on the ground. For the NFL, Jefferson needs to improve his field vision. He also has to learn to work through his progressions and read coverage.
7/19/22: Jefferson broke out for the Razorbacks in 2021, displaying impressive dual-threat ability. He completed 67 percent of his passes for 2,676 yards, 21 touchdowns and four interceptions. Jefferson showed nice vertical touch pass ability and really hurt defenses with lofting passes downfield off of play action. On the ground, he accounted for 664 yards and six touchdowns, showing good size and toughness as a runner. If Jefferson become a more polished pocket passer, he could be a fast riser for the 2023 NFL Draft.

Hendon Hooker, QB, Tennessee

Tennessee image
Hendon Hooker, QB, Tennessee
Height: 6-4. Weight: 218.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
Projected Round (2023): 3-5.
View Ranking History

11/22/22: For his 2022 season, Hooker completed 70 percent of his passes for 3,135 yards, 27 touchdowns and two interceptions. He also recorded 430 yards and five touchdowns on the ground. Hooker tore an ACL in the penultimate game of the regular season, and that injury could cost him part of, or all of, his rookie season in the NFL. Hooker played well against Florida and LSU, leading Tennessee to some big wins. He was phenomenal versus Alabama, leading the Volunteers to a legendary win.
MHO… I LOVED Hooker… I read the thread to date and I just don’t get some of the criticisms… “We need to install a wide open spread offense if we draft him” I watch this guy operate the short and intermediate game very well… also find and exploit the deep passing game then on top of that, run SECOND ability was good… the Bama game showed me he wouldn’t crumble when a GOOD team continued to score with Tenn.

GA was not a good look but Tenn was WAY outmatched in that game.

But….. this injury will create a slide IMHO… He will be 25 next season! TWENTY FIVE! Coming off a serious knee injury. This means he will basically get a Red Shirt year next season and be behind in his development, missing camp and potential playing time.

When you add all this together, I don’t see him going in the 1st or second round…

I agree with how you laid this out.

Here is our biggest problem and why I think Allen stays if there is ANY WAY to justify it.

Our cap situation is bad, we have no 1st round pick, we have no QB… Because of this no top prospect will have us at the top of their list, they just won’t… that’s a coach killer situation. Anyone who says different is just being a homer.

So why cut a bad coach to get an average coach in a bad situation, add the fact that you’re now the franchise that fires a coach after ONE season when you had a ton of (big name) injuries. Its all a bad look.

If you still disagree, let’s use this analogy… Let’s say CSP accomplished everything he accomplished for the Saints, but with Detroit and NEVER coached the Saints. Where would the Saints be on his list of teams to chose from???

Unless DA completely loses the team, he should be back, clear cap space, have our 1st round pick 2024… unfortunately, we’ll probably be drafting top 10 again… DA falls on the sword and we can hire a GOOD/Hot new coach and be back in business.

67.3% completion rate w/ 21 passing TDs and only 4 INTs.....in the SEC.......says otherwise.

I guess he decided to throw bricks and ducks in the two SEC games I saw him play. :shrug:

Curious if anyone watched the FSU/UF game. Travis is insane. I kind of wish that Travis was on the Saints…this year

Yes, I agree with all this and have no real idea of what the Saints look for… We do have Book as an idea of what they would do. He didn’t have much of a RAS score and he didn’t have great height weight…

The criteria could be the Parcells thing. So many starts. So many wins etc… Or it could simply be “good QB” is the criteria.

Honestly, I don't think any of the late round QBs that have been drafted were ever real options to develop as QB1. All of them had a ceiling of Chase Daniel. A career backup who knows the offense and holds a clipboard. Now, if we drafted a QB this draft it would be a better indication of what they want in a potential QB1.

Honestly, I don't think any of the late round QBs that have been drafted were ever real options to develop as QB1. All of them had a ceiling of Chase Daniel. A career backup who knows the offense and holds a clipboard. Now, if we drafted a QB this draft it would be a better indication of what they want in a potential QB1.
They are the scratch off ticket of pro sports.

Personally I would do what the Packers under Rob Wolf used to do in drafting quarterbacks every year, developing them, and then trading them away. That is really an investment though.

They are the scratch off ticket of pro sports.

Personally I would do what the Packers under Rob Wolf used to do in drafting quarterbacks every year, developing them, and then trading them away. That is really an investment though.

Yep. The Pats did that as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom