Know anything about pool tables? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Im looking to spend about $500 on a pool table. i want an official size one and i dont want a piece of crap thats gonna be unlevel and break in a few years. anyone know anyhting about it?

I think official means L = 2x W but the most common "official" that you see tournaments played on is 4 1/2 x 9. For $500 bucks you will be lucky. Maybe check craigslist in your area.

check ebay there are plenty of used ones. you will have to travel to pick it up of course. 4 x 8 slate table for 500 bucks will be pretty hard to find. i was on ebay earlier looking for some brunswick game room pieces. plenty of used pool tables on there.

yep, $500 won't be a good new one..
like said, you may luck out on craigslist.
for a good one, at 500, you probably need to find one that needs to be relayed.

I have a full size slate table. It is in pretty good shape I have been thinking about selling. I was wanting more than $500 but it could go for some new bumpers because the balls will bounce off some if hit real hard.

The only thing I know is that it's important to get a slate table (not a cheaper surface), and to make sure the slate is not cracked.

I sell pool tables where I work. You will be hard pressed to find a new quality table for $500. The cheapest we sell in a slate table is more than double that. My advice is if you are looking to have this table for a while, splurge, and spend more than you thought on a new one, or try to find a reasonable one used.

When looking at one make sure you take into account:
all wood construction verses particle wood
slate (at least one inch thick and no cracks)
4 x 8 playing surface is the standard size
make sure the room you place it in is big enough (I have a chart showing reccomended sizes for the room - pm me and I'll send it to)
look for ones with pockets instead of ball return
get on the floor and look at construction of the table from underneath (you would be surprised to see some of the shortcuts and defects table manufacturers have hidden underneath the slate

PM me if you need anything and good luck finding a table.

make sure the room you place it in is big enough .

:17:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/esA1Ukx0zlU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/esA1Ukx0zlU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Check the newspaper for a used "coin-op". Most all coin ops are slate, meaing that it will not be warped. I got one a few years ago (7foot coin-op) for like $400, put spent another $150 getting new cloth and bumpers. Obviously it was rigged to not need quarters. You do NOT want to settle for a cheap, new one that is not slate. Go used and redo the cloth, rails, bumbers

:17:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/esA1Ukx0zlU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/esA1Ukx0zlU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

haahahah, good stuff

I bought a slate pool table for $400. It was in a bar for 15 years. Its slate and the bumpers were recently replaced. It was covered in grime and looked awful at first. I brought it home, shined it up nice and it looks like a $5,000 table.

Plus I can make my friends pay to play.

haahahah, good stuff

I bought a slate pool table for $400. It was in a bar for 15 years. Its slate and the bumpers were recently replaced. It was covered in grime and looked awful at first. I brought it home, shined it up nice and it looks like a $5,000 table.

Plus I can make my friends pay to play.

i wish icould find one of those somewhere and just have to clean it up. where did u get it?

i wish icould find one of those somewhere and just have to clean it up. where did u get it?

check around at local bars. Actually check local pool halls if you want an official sized table and not a tiny bar room table.

My uncle bought one Lambert's in Baton Rouge.. recovered it and it plays very well

check around at local bars. Actually check local pool halls if you want an official sized table and not a tiny bar room table.

My uncle bought one Lambert's in Baton Rouge.. recovered it and it plays very well

not a bad idea. one of my friends plays pool a lot. ill see if he could checkwhen he goes play sometimes. and ill go check other places.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom