know who to pull for: the oscars (1 Viewer)

st dude

The dotless one
Super Moderator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
During the Fall Friday nights find me doing the radio for a local high school football team. Once the high school season ends Friday night becomes movie night. My wife and I usually try to see all the nominated pictures before the Academy Awards. Now that they have expanded (watered down?) the field to ten pictures we just went to see the ones that have a realistic chance of winning.

This year we saw Kings Speech, Inception, Black Swan, Social Network, True Grit, The Fighter and The Kids Are All Right. While there is no stand out great picture like The Godfather or Cuckoos Nest, it was a very good year for movies. I liked all of these movies for different reasons.

I think the main categories are an easy call this year. The best chances for upsets are in the supporting roles.

Best Picture:

Will win: Kings Speech. This was not a great movie but an enjoyable and very good movie with fine acting and dialogue. Firth, Rush and Carter all gave very good performances. The other chance here would be Social Network.

Should win: Kings Speech. It's not that King's Speech was so good, it's just that none of the other movies seemed best picture type movies to me.

I liked: The Fighter. From a pure entertainment standpoint this was the movie I had the most fun watching. After The Fighter it might have been True Grit. The Fighter and True Grit are films with more audience appeal. Kings Speech and Black Swan are more critics type choices. I did like them all.

71672_gal.jpg

Best Actor:

Will win: Colin Firth. It will be a big upset if he loses. He was very good and while the others in this category were as well, there was no performance that stood out more than the others.

Should win: Colin Firth. I say this not having seen 127 Hours and hearing Franco gave a great performance in this movie. I just could not drag myself out to see a movie about a guy trapped in a crevice.

I liked: I liked Bridges in True Grit.

Best Actress:

Will win: Natalie Portman. This is not likely a close call either. Portman had one of those roles where she immersed herself in it for months, lost a dangerous amount of weight and convinced the audience she was a ballerina.

69884_gal.jpg

Should win: Natalie Portman. There is no buzz about anyone else. I saw Bening in Kids Are All Right and while I liked the flick okay, her being nominated for that role shows what a down year it was for lead actress parts.

I liked: Portman. She had hot lesbian monkey sex with Mila Kunis. Nuff said. They had to have that scene to get guys to go to the movie. It worked for me. My wife does not get why guys find that hot and I can not explain it without violating the Terms of Service on Andrus's board. :D

Best Supporting Actor:

Will win: Christian Bale. I am not that big a Bale fan, but he was awesome in The Fighter, absolutely awesome. I walked out of The Fighter predicting he and Amy Adams would get nominations.
70312_gal.jpg

Should win: It should be a tie between Bale and Geoffrery Rush. Rush is great in almost every role he does. Like Jack Nicholson, Rush puts his own stamp on the characters he plays. I thought he was better than Firth and that overall the supporting category had better performances than the leads.

I liked: I liked Bale, Rush and Jeremy Renner. Renner was great in The Town as a Boston tough guy. I can still see the little leprechaun tattoo. I remember when Affleck's character asked Renner to go help put a beat down on some other neighborhood tough guys. Renner's response? "Who's driving".
69774_gal.jpg

Best Supporting Actress:

Will win: Melissa Leo. The conventional wisdom says Melissa Leo as the mother in The Fighter. Supposedly she hurt her chances by campaigning for the Oscar. This is the category with the best chance for an upset and i will not be surprised if Adams wins

Should win: Amy Adams. I loved her in The Fighter. She is a very versatile actress who has done amy different character types. This one was my favorite.
71835_gal.jpg

I liked: Amy Adams and Hallee Steinfeld. Steinfeld was perfect in True Grit. It was amazing how she held her own in scenes with Bridges and Matt Damon. I loved the scene of her fording the river on her (dark) horse. She is the dark horse in this category and could sneak in if Adams and Leo split votes. Helena Bonham Carter was also very good. And why no Kunis? :idunno:

NATALIE-PORTMAN-BLACK-SWAN-KISS-MILA.jpg

72149_gal.jpg

I like Amy Adams a lot. She will get a win one of these days, she's very good.

She actually worked at Hooters at one point in her life.

Now that they have expanded (watered down?) the field to ten pictures we just went to see the ones that have a realistic chance of winning.

This year we saw Kings Speech, Inception, Black Swan, Social Network, True Grit, The Fighter and The Kids Are All Right. While there is no stand out great picture like The Godfather or Cuckoos Nest, it was a very good year for movies. I liked all of these movies for different reasons.

You failed to watch the best movie nominated, Winter's Bone. You really missed out and I highly recommend you go back and watch it.

you got 'em all right... as did 99% of the prognosticators. i've never seen such an oscars with ZERO surprises before. and the writers were downright miserable. worst oscars ever.

I pulled for Natalie Portman, but I don't see how this helped the Saints playoff hopes

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom