know who to pull for: week 8 (1 Viewer)

orly2.gif

Non conference games can end in a tie. Im not sure about conference games. But divisions definately can't. That I think is why McNabb was confused.

All regular season games end after 1 quarter of OT regardless of opponent. Playoff games play forever (in theory).

The New York Giants and the Washington Redskins played to a 7-7 tie in 1997, the last time divisional opponents tied. {The link leads to the Gnat's schedule for that year. Look at Nov. 23}

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/1997.htm

So unless the rule has changed since...:shrug:

Anyway, I don't understand why anyone would root for a tie within the division or conference. Ties do not count as losses. Look no further back than the 2002 season to see where a tie by the FowlClowns helped them to rob us of a playoff berth, and that was the season we'd already beaten Tampon Bay twice. Had we gotten to the playoffs, who knows...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2002/

The tie that IceHot wishes for could bite us in the butt in the same way...let's say that the Saints go 14-2, and by some miracle the Favrelings go 14-1-1. Who do you think gets home-field advantage? In that scenario, Minnesota does, because they have one less loss. Minnesota's record is still way to close to ours to contemplate rooting for them to tie at this point.

Yeah, I know, it's stupid to worry about. The Saints would still kill them in the comfy, dry, 70 degrees of an H.H.H. Metrodome January game. But still...let's not go there...

Last edited:
Anyway, I don't understand why anyone would root for a tie within the division or conference. The tie that IceHot wishes for could bite us in the butt in the same way...let's say that the Saints go 14-2, and by some miracle the Favrelings go 14-1-1. Who do you think gets home-field advantage? In that scenario, Minnesota does, ...

You kind of answered your own question here. Ties do not count as losses but nor do they count as wins.

Suppose the Saints were 10-6 one year with one wild card spot left. Now suppose two 9-5 teams were playing in an afternoon game. We would want a tie so both teams would finish 9-5-1, a half game out. We would not want one of the teams to win and go 10-6 and perhaps beat us in a tiebreak scenario.

When two really good teams play each other sometimes a tie can help us because it deprives both teams of a win.

I definitely wont be holding my breath hoping for that tie. The hard part about kwtpf is we cant see what the records will look like in week 14 when the picture will be much more clear.

The beautiful part about the MIN-GB game is that both teams cant win. Thus I will be happy with any outcome. A tie would push both a half step back which for me would be the best option until we see how things shape up.

Either way dotless definitely got a thumbs up from me.

Obviously when you want one team to be slowed down a loss at 0 is best, a win at 1 is worst, but a tie is 0.5, so you'd usually be rooting for the loss, but a tie is better for you than a win :)

Bury the Panthers. If by some miracle Arizona gets homefield, I don't fear playing in that air conditioned stadium at all anyway.

Well I do not want even think about playing in Green Bay in January would much rather play in Minnesota or Arizona if we do not have homefield throughout. So I am pulling for Minny to win the North and with a clean sweep against the Packers that would pretty much seal the deal for the Vikings.

I mean come on doesn't everyone wanna see the looks on Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy's faces if Brett comes into to Green Bay and roles all over them.

Good point - home field throughout is obviously important, but if we can't get it, we would much rather be playing at someone else's dome than at Lambeau, Giants Stadium, etc.

It'll be interesting to see if we can match the results of last week's KWTPF. Realistically, we can easily get a 6-2 showing this weekend.

Great job dude. Just one small question. You said the AFC is 53-52 vs. the NFC, but the NFC is 50-51 against the AFC. Typo or am I missing something?

Who is the one maroon that did not find the op helpful? :idunno:

I agree with the rooting for Carolina to lose. Despite the shocking home loss to the Bills, which probably showed the Panthers true colors of offensive ineptness, and although they have a fairly tough remaining schedule, they still have talent on both sides of the ball and I feel like they will put together a string on wins at some point. Its too early to lose sight of the easiest path to the playoffs, which is beating the other 3 teams in your division.

Great job dude. Just one small question. You said the AFC is 53-52 vs. the NFC, but the NFC is 50-51 against the AFC. Typo or am I missing something?

Let me clarify. If you add up all the AFC team's wins and losses you get 53-52. Thats is not their record only against NFC teams but does suggest a slight edge over NFC teams. Think of it this way, if the AFC only played AFC teams, the number of wins would have to equal the number of losses conference wide.

The reason the numbers are different is the NFC teams must have had more bye weeks so far.

In most years I can remember, the AFC was stronger and therefore their teams had to have better records to get in. In the NFC I can remember a number of 9-7 teams getting in and even an 8-8 team.

If both conferences finish roughly equal, 9-7 might not get you in the playoffs in either conference.

3-4 going into the MNF game. Not great, but not too bad either.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom