know who to pull for: week five (1 Viewer)

st dude

The dotless one
Super Moderator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Raise your hand if before the season you had the Saints at 4-0 heading into their bye week. If you had offered me 3-1 before the season started, I would have signed on that dotted line in a New York second.

Speaking of New York, as I mentioned before, beating New York teams is like eating Chinese food. Right after you beat one, you feel like beating another. We only had to wait a week after beating Buffalo to beat the Jets, now we have to sit through a bye to get to the Giants.

The Saints might well ruin my kwtpf column before its all said and done. If you win all your games, you pretty much do not have to worry about the other games. We are only four games into the season, however, and you never know what will happen. If history teaches us anything it is likely at least one of the 4-0 teams everyone is so excited about will struggle and one of the teams we are all counting out will make a run.

Here is how the NFC looks now:

Giants 4-0
Saints 4-0
Vikings 4-0
49ers 3-1
Bears 3-1
Eagles 2-1
Falcons 2-1
Packers 2-2
Cowboys 2-2
Redskins 2-2
Cards 1-2
Seahawks 1-3
Lions 1-3
Panthers 0-3
Bucs 0-4
Rams 0-4

Of those 16 teams, six will make the playoffs, four division winners and two wild cards. The NFC South is starting to look like a two horse race, but we are only through a quarter of the season, less than that for the panthers.

This is not a great kwtpf week with only a few interesting games on the slate. But since the Saints do not play we have to have someone to pull for:

1-3 Oakland at 4-0 Giants - The only mystery here is how in the world did Oakland win a game? I guess the other sub plot is Eli Manning's foot. Manning has plantar fasciitis which is a swelling in his heel. This bears watching as this can be a lingering injury that can be very difficult to play on if it worsens. Think of turf toe in the heel. Its one of those seemingly innocuous injuries that can be disabling for some. We will pull Oakland and for Eli to be well. I have tickets to the Saints/Giants and want their best. Beating two undefeated NY teams would be cool.

2-2 Dallas at 0-4 Kansas City - There are like a lot of really, really bad teams in the NFL this year and KC is right up there. I am not sure the Cowboys are that much better. They have injured running backs, a meddling owner, a puppet coach and an overhyped qb. They should beat the Chiefs, but how fun will the meltdown be in Dallas if they do not. Go Chiefs.

2-2 Washington at 0-3 Carolina - Some could make a mistake here and pull for the Panthers, figuring they are out of it and not good. Suppose the Panthers beat the Skins and then upset the Saints? That would put the Panthers only one game back with the tiebreaker advantage. I think Carolina will win this game, but I do not want them to. Its not that different a Carolina team personnel wise from the one that won a dozen games last year.

4-0 Minnesota at 0-4 St Louis - Normally one might look at this as a trap game for the Vikes. They are coming off a short week following an emotional win over the Packers. They should be coming in over confident and ripe to be upset. Its just that the Rams look to be one of those several truly awful teams out there. All we can do is pull for the Rams, God knows they need someone to root for them.

0-4 Tampa at 2-1 Philadelphia - I do not get into the "we get no respect" game too much. But when I saw last week one national publication had us rated behind Philly it did irritate me just a bit. While 99% of the time I would pull to further bury a division foe, in this case I see Philly as a bigger threat to get hot down the road. Even though we own the tiebreak over Philly, with McNabb back this is a team that could string a lot of wins together. I doubt Tampa can string one win together unless they play the Rams. Would that be a contest to watch or what?:covermyeyes: I am pulling for the Bucs Eeyore. :D

2-2 Pittsburgh at 1-3 Detroit - Want to know how bad some teams in the NFL are this year? Detroit is probably better than a half dozen teams. :idunno: I am not saying they are good, just better than awful. Pull for the Steelers.

2-1 Atlanta at 3-1 SF - Easily the most interesting and important kwtpf game of the week. The 49ers have sold me that at the very least they are much improved. They could be 4-0. Atlanta is a solid team as well and this should be a very interesting match up. We can worry about the 49ers later, right now we want another loss on the Falcons to open up a two game lead in the South.

2-2 Houston at 1-2 Arizona - Still scratching my head how Arizona made the super bowl last year. They got on a late run and are a good example of the danger of writing teams off too early. They are also a good example of how anything can happen if you can just make the tournament. As with most all AFC/NFC match ups, pull for the AFC team.

2-2 Jacksonville at 1-3 Seattle - For years Seattle has been a good team that was not all the good. They finally broke that mold. Now they are just plain bad. Pull for Jacksonville.

Thanks again to Waymer for summarizing last weeks games:

http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2286796#post2286796

Congrats to Mikaloyd for winning last man standing. :9:

New game starts this week. Pick both games and last man standing wins.

Atlanta +2 1/2 at SF
Washington +3 1/2 at Carolina

I'll take Atlanat and Carolina and hope I lose both.:D

Last edited:
Very good dude.

I had to read this 3 times before I came to total agreement, I thought you might be wrong on a couple, I'll keep those to myself.

I think, after thinking it over, you have this right.

Keep doing this every week.

ddd

Speaking of New York, as I mentioned before, beating New York teams is like eating Chinese food. Right after you beat one, you feel like beating another.

Great line and great post as usual. I look forward to this post every week. Thanks.

2-1 Atlanta at 3-1 SF - Easily the most interesting and important kwtpf game of the week. The 49ers have sold me that at the very leats they are much improved. They could be 4-0. Atlanta is a solid team as well and this should be a very interesting match up. We can worry about the 49ers later, right now we want another loss on the Falcons to open up a two game lead in the South.
Actually, a 1 1/2 game lead.

Atlanta +2 1/2 at SF
Washington +3 1/2 at Carolina

I'll take Atlanat and Carolina and hope I lose both.:D
I'll take Atlanat and Carolina also but I'll settle for just losing one.

Thanks for pulling for the Steelers. I feel we are one of the non-evil AFC franchises left. Go team...lol

I got my hand up but then I always start with 16-0 and only change when they lose. Going good so far.Nice choices but I have to disagree on Car/Wash and TB/Phil. First rule of KWTPF is pull for division losses, isn't it?. Further we put them back, better our chances. And it is a lot easier to root against the Panthers and Bucs than for them, no matter what the reasons.

SF -3.5
Wash +3.5

Your post is is a highlight of the week- thanks. I too, reluctantly, will have to take Atlanta and Carolina.

I got my hand up but then I always start with 16-0 and only change when they lose. Going good so far.Nice choices but I have to disagree on Car/Wash and TB/Phil. First rule of KWTPF is pull for division losses, isn't it?. Further we put them back, better our chances. And it is a lot easier to root against the Panthers and Bucs than for them, no matter what the reasons.

SF -3.5
Wash +3.5

I am rooting against the Panthers, maybe that wasnt as clear as it could have been in the original post. Tampa for me is an exception to the pull against division foes rule, but it is a close call and I cannot argue with anyone who would want to further bury them. Even this early in the season, I still tend to see Philly as a bigger threat.

The Saints might well ruin my kwtpf column before its all said and done. If you win all your games, you pretty much do not have to worry about the other games.

Nothing against your entertaining, weekly thread, but this is what I'm pulling for. :ezbill:

I am rooting for the Lions. I hate Chicago and would love to see Detriot go on a run and knock them out of the playoffs. Slim possibility i know but that would be the next best thing to us beating them in the Dome.

I am rooting for the Lions. I hate Chicago and would love to see Detriot go on a run and knock them out of the playoffs. Slim possibility i know but that would be the next best thing to us beating them in the Dome.

No,no, this is basic.

An AFC team vs the NFC Lions.

You want Detroit to lose, you just don't know it yet. Trust me.

ddd

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom