know who to pull for: week four (1 Viewer)

st dude

The dotless one
Super Moderator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Most people know how this works. We look at at the other games involving any NFC teams and pull for outcomes in those games that might help the Saints reach the playoffs. The purpose of the exercise is to give you some rooting interest in the other games. The Saints could render this column meaningless if they win all their games:9:. If their streak continues we may even have to start looking at home field advantage aspects. Doing that at 3-0 only three weeks into the season might be bad mojo.

Could we have had a better kwtpf week than last week? The Saints win and all three of their division rivals lost:17::beerchug:s. I am not sure that has happened in any other kwtpf columns. Waymer summed up last week again and it was a good one for the Saints. http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123817&page=2

There are three 3-0 teams in the NFC, the Saints, the Vikings and the Giants. There are two 0-3 teams in the NFC and they both reside in the South, the Panthers and the Bucs. There are 16 teams in the NFC and 6 make the playoffs. Statistically speaking, based on historical results, a 3-0 team has about a 75% chance of reaching the playoffs while an 0-3 team has less than a 10% chance. With each win our odds improve.

This is a slow week for kwtpf as four NFC teams have byes, the Cardinals, Falcons, Panthers and Eagles. Nevertheless there are a few interesting games:

1-2 Detroit at 2-1 Chicago - Its hard to count the number of reasons to pull for Detroit. First of all they are the weaker of the two teams. Maybe you dislike Cutler. Some remember the way Chicago fans treated Saints fans in Chicago. The Saints already have the tiebreaker over Detroit. Whatever your reason is, pull for Detroit. If God is really a Saints fan he will give us a home game against the Bears in the playoffs.:17:

1-2 Seattle at 3-0 Indianapolis - Almost always pull for the AFC team in an inter conference match up. There are some rare scenarios where one might pull for the NFC team but this is not one of them. Who will win the West this year? I doubt a wild card comes out of that division. Pull for the Colts.

0-3 Tampa at 1-2 Washington - This is a very close kwtpf game. Washington would appear to be the bigger threat to us in a wild card race. As Eeyore argued last week though, worry about your division first. I can go either way in this game. In most any other season I would say pull for Washington, but this year I think Tampa is just an awful NFL team and in terms of probablity the Skins would be the bigger threat down the road. . Its tough because the Redskins are not much better. I will pull for Tampa and will not argue a lick with those who pull for the Skins. An 0-4 start would almost bury the Bucs. I am not sure it makes much difference as I do not expect either of these teams to seriously be in the hunt come December.

3-0 NY Giants at 0-3 Kansas City - Here is a no brainer. Pull for the hapless Chiefs and be happy you do not live in Missouri where the big debate is who is worse, the Chiefs or the Rams? The Giants should win this one easily and there is one nice side benefit from that. How big will the game in New Orleans with the Giants be if both teams are undefeated?:covri: Buy your tickets now, the price will only go up from here.

2-1 Dallas at 3-0 Denver - Like you need me to tell you who to pull for in this game. We do get Dallas at home down the road and they are certainly a team that could be in the conversation in December. Pull for the worst 3-0 team in the NFL, the Broncos, and hope the better team does not win.

0-3 St Louis at 2-1 San Francisco - Thats the hard thing about kwtpf. Every now and then you get a game where Saint's fans have to pick between two evils. The funny thing is the Rams are so terrible I have no problem pulling for them to beat a SF team that looks for real.

2-1 Green Bay at 3-0 Minnesota - Pick your poison here. Either way we lose, either way we win. I see both of these teams as being potential playoff teams. In the end I am pulling for Green Bay for two reasons. Lets knock Minny from the ranks of the undefeated. The other is the Favre factor. Count me in the group that thinks Favre jacked the Packers and their fans around. He went from being one of my favorite players to one of the most self absorbed athletes the game has ever seen. What a huge sub plot this game has.

3-0 Jets at 3-0 New Orleans - In the next two games the Saints play two New York teams with a combined 6-0 record. Even if they split those games, they will be in great shape. Your biggest game is always your next, but a win over the NFC Giants would trump a win over the Jets. I really like the Saints chances against the Jets. Sanchez has been great so far, but think of what a fully enclosed Tiger stadium on Saturday night against a Florida would sound like and that will be the superdome on Sunday. Things are falling the Saints way for a change(but for the season ending injury to Brown). We get Philly without McNabb. Carolina and Tampa are in really down years. After this NY stretch, the Saints schedule will include two games each against the 0-3 Bucs and Panthers together with games against the Dolphins, Rams and Redskins. We have a few tough, but winnable games mixed in. So far so good.

Last man standing players left:

NPS6724
Mikaloyd

first game : Chicago -10 at Detroit

First tiebreaker : Dallas -3 at Denver

Second tiebreaker: GB + 3 1/2 at Minnesota

Next week new last man standing starts

Last edited:
We actually do. Dec 8th @ Washington.

I really enjoy this column! Nice work.

Thanks, fixed it. I actually write later in the column that we do play the redskins. Duh me. :05239:

Nice work st dude. I would have to go for the Skins over the Bucs. TB going 0-4 can never be a bad thing. Not to mention some confidence for the Skins. We might need them later in the year to hang a loss on the Cowboys or Giants.

Have to pull for Vikings to lose. they are clearly the better team IMO.

Biggest threats to Home Field = Giants + Vikings.

2-1 Green Bay at 3-0 Minnesota - Pick your poison here. Either way we lose, either way we win. I see both of these teams as being potential playoff teams. In the end I am pulling for Green Bay for two reasons. Lets knock Minny from the ranks of the undefeated. The other is the Favre factor. Count me in the group that thinks Favre jacked the Packers and their fans around. He went from being one of my favorite players to one of the most self absorbed athletes the game has ever seen. What a huge sub plot this game has.

I would rather Minny win right now. If we do need to go on the road in the playoffs, I'd rather it be in a dome. Would like GB to finish 2nd so, if they get in, they have to travel.

I would rather Minny win right now. If we do need to go on the road in the playoffs, I'd rather it be in a dome. Would like GB to finish 2nd so, if they get in, they have to travel.

Pull for GB. GB won't be a threat to homefield advantage, which is what we're gunning for right now. I don't think Minnesota will last in that discussion towards the end of the season when Favre's lack of condition and age makes him plummet off a cliff in terms of production, but Minnesota at least has an outside shot at making a run for HFA.

We always, always want Minnesota and the NY Giants to lose (except against Atlanta) for that reason.

I really like your picks for this week. Though I don't think the outcome of the Bucs/Skins game will matter in the long run. I'll route for the Skins this week so that maybe the Bucs will start all over with the rebuilding process again next year. :)

As far as the GB/MN game I believe that the fans in GB deserve to see Fa*** get beat by their team!

I agree with you with on all of the picks.... We pull for Denver because they are an AFC team playing against an NFC team, Dallas!:9:

Always gotta love it when you can root against the Cowboys.

Pretty easy picks this week, imo. I'll go with GB over Minn, although I believe neither team will threaten for a #1 seed. Its us against the Giants for the 1, everyone else is playing to fall in line.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom