Kool-Aid McKinstry Can he play safety? (3 Viewers)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I brought it up on game day when I noticed his foot speed was less than stellar for a boundary DB, but it’s been mentioned twice now.

Tyrann Mathieu mentioned it to a degree

"Man, he's so polished. I always respect that because a lot of people think I'm a flashy player, but I'm really a technician. So I always relied on my coaches to kind of give me that stuff and then I just put my own sauce on it. I say that to say that he's a polished player. He comes from under Nick Saban, so I already know that he understands the cornerback position, nickel position and the safety position.

And Underhill just mentioned it as well

McKinstry is one of the more interesting players on the roster because he was brought here to play, but there also isn’t a clear path for him to get on the field. He played outside cornerback at Alabama, but the best guess is that is that is going to compete with Alontae Taylor for the slot position. And if McKinstry loses, he could even potentially try his hand at safety.

So, I guess the answer is yes…he could play safety

Last edited:
I brought it up on game day when I noticed his foot speed was less than stellar for a boundary DB, but it’s been mentioned twice now.

Tyrann Mathieu mentioned it to a degree

"Man, he's so polished. I always respect that because a lot of people think I'm a flashy player, but I'm really a technician. So I always relied on my coaches to kind of give me that stuff and then I just put my own sauce on it. I say that to say that he's a polished player. He comes from under Nick Saban, so I already know that he understands the cornerback position, nickel position and the safety position.

And Underhill just mentioned it as well

McKinstry is one of the more interesting players on the roster because he was brought here to play, but there also isn’t a clear path for him to get on the field. He played outside cornerback at Alabama, but the best guess is that is that is going to compete with Alontae Taylor for the slot position. And if McKinstry loses, he could even potentially try his hand at safety.

So, I guess the answer is yes…he could play safety
I mean maybe he could?

He's really only ever played boundary corner at AL. Below is his snap count by position.

Here we go drafting a player and moving them to a brand new position.

Attachments

• IMG_4551.jpeg
    IMG_4551.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 29
I mean maybe he could?

He's really only ever played boundary corner at AL. Below is his snap count by position.

Here we go drafting a player and moving them to a brand new position.

DA can play a DB wherever he wants, he's earned that right. He drafts DBs with a vision and turns them into gold.

One of the attributes you see in multiple write-ups on him is his "football IQ" - and he started as a true freshman for Saban.

I think if you have an intelligent player that gets scheme and the bigger picture of NFL football - the football IQ - it's not hard to imagine the player being able to be versatile and adapt to new demands in the NFL, especially with good coaching.

He's 21 years old. The idea that giving him a "new position" is a bad idea is silly to me. See how he responds - if he has the brains and the physicality to play the position, why wouldn't you explore it?

This actually a good question... when I initially read the thread title I though "LOL Can he play Safety".... But after thinking about it... I can see him in the Von Bell / Malcom Jenkins... sort of role where he becomes a rover type safety. It actually may suit his skillset pretty well.

I only prefer to go down this path if we are sure Lattimore will be here long term and that we're not shipping him out. If there's a chance we move on from Lattimore after this season, I'd prefer to get as many reps as possible even as a backup at boundary CB. And then there's Adebo who is set to hit free agency after this season.

Let's say the staff decides to try him at safety if he doesn't do well in the slot.. and then after this season, Lattimore is shipped out and/or Adebo walks. Then what, are we going to move him back to boundary when we suddenly have a void there after he spent his rookie season getting safety reps?

There's too much uncertainly at outside CB past 2024 for me to even think considering this is a good idea. Cornerback is the more premium and coveted position and a position he excelled in at Alabama, particularly in a scheme that mirrors how Allen likes to play defense. If this franchise really is focused on building for the long-term, this is not a path they'll go down this year. I'm not ruling it out in the future if we're still having a hard time finding a way to get him onto the field next year, but right now I think getting cornerback reps is what's most important.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom