Saints Kris Richard - Richard will new the Saints secondary coach w/10 yrs in the NFL. Any thought's on our new DB coach? Scheme, Zone, Man..? (1 Viewer)

liveoakh

Rookie
Reaction score
Me: I think this guy will be an upgrade over Aaron Glenn.

Richard will coach the Saints secondary after 10 years in the NFL; in his last five seasons, he served as the Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator and Dallas Cowboys passing game coordinator.

No doubt Richard is an accomplished DB coach. However, all AG did was take Delvin Breaux, Sterling Moore & Ken Crawley and turn them into starters. He also took Lattimore and helped him to defensive rookie of the Year, took on Apple and Jackrabbit and coach them back into starters. And all those results put hin in position to get promoted to defensive coordinator.
I look forward to seeing Richard keep the very high standards for DB play that Glenn set while here.

I think Richard will bring the grit we're looking for. AG did a great job while he was here and hopefully the secondary won't skip a beat. We have a lot of young and inexperienced talent for Kris to mold and get ready in a short amount of time.

No doubt Richard is an accomplished DB coach. However, all AG did was take Delvin Breaux, Sterling Moore & Ken Crawley and turn them into starters. He also took Lattimore and helped him to defensive rookie of the Year, took on Apple and Jackrabbit and coach them back into starters. And all those results put hin in position to get promoted to defensive coordinator.
I look forward to seeing Richard keep the very high standards for DB play that Glenn set while here.
Don’t forget what Coach Glenn did for Chauncey too!

It doesn't seem like a bad deal when you can replace Aaron Glenn with the guy who coached the Legion of Boom. Sure it helped that the LOB had a lot of talent but he was bale to get the most out of Corners like Walter Thurmond, Brandon Browner and Byron Maxwell. Those guys looked pretty good in Seattle but then bounced around the league after leaving.

Who sets the scheme for the secondary? DB coach or DC?

If the DB coach, then I give not so great marks for that - esp how the safety seems to be out of position so many times AND still doesn't know how to tackle!

I think Richard will bring the grit we're looking for. AG did a great job while he was here and hopefully the secondary won't skip a beat. We have a lot of young and inexperienced talent for Kris to mold and get ready in a short amount of time.
Agreed. We lost JackRabbit n Latt will likely miss time due suspension. So all Coach Richard has to do is: find a fountain of youth for PRob, flip the switch that’ll make Adebo an early, legit starter, n teach Ken Crawley how to turn his damned head on a deep ball! 😂

Agreed. We lost JackRabbit n Latt will likely miss time due suspension. So all Coach Richard has to do is: find a fountain of youth for PRob, flip the switch that’ll make Adebo an early, legit starter, n teach Ken Crawley how to turn his damned head on a deep ball! 😂
So your saying be a miracle worker

So your saying be a miracle worker
Oh nooo, not at all! 😂😂😂

Seriously tho, IMO, he’s gonna have to coach up not just his CBs, but all of his DBs! Meanwhile, now that now that they’ve freed up some cap space, I think the team will look to bring in a vet CB to help out.

That said, in situations like this, a good pass rush is a DBs best friend. IF they can stay fairly healthy, this might be the deepest, most talented n best D line in the Sean Payton era!

We’ll see!

I have a feeling we're going to see that Aaron Glenn was overrated. The Saints fed Aaron Glenn a steady diet of premier talent only for an underwhelming and inconsistent secondary. Defensive backs regressed the longer they are here. However if Kris Richard flops then the Saints have bigger problems than who is coaching the DBs.

While the defensive line and linebackers both play roles to pass defense, the secondary carries the weight of that burden. Here is how the Saints defense has finished in passing yards allowed with Glenn:
2016 - 32nd
2017 - 15th
2018 - 29th
2019 - 20th
2020 - 5th

Ryan Nielsen arrived in 2017 and has finished 10th, 8th, 5th, and 6th in pressure rate so it wasn't like QB's had lots of time to scan the field and throw.

I'm a bit worried, actually. The refs don't call Saints games the same as they do Seattle. If the Saints play as physical as Seattle did, the refs are going to get carpal tunnel syndrome from all the flags they are going to throw.

I'm a bit worried, actually. The refs don't call Saints games the same as they do Seattle. If the Saints play as physical as Seattle did, the refs are going to get carpal tunnel syndrome from all the flags they are going to throw.
I'm not concerned with that possibility at all. Of course we will get our share of bad calls and no calls, but I'm also 100% sure the coaching staff looks at every angle including this.

I'm not concerned with that possibility at all. Of course we will get our share of bad calls and no calls, but I'm also 100% sure the coaching staff looks at every angle including this.

Then they really dropped the ball against the Rams in the playoffs. It didn't seem like they were prepared for that at all to me. But, I'm still miffed by that game, so my logic might be skewed.

Then they really dropped the ball against the Rams in the playoffs. It didn't seem like they were prepared for that at all to me. But, I'm still miffed by that game, so my logic might be skewed.
You really can't be prepared for that level of ish.

Ill say this though, as someone who has successfully managed businesses, I'd be surprised if every team didn't go over every contingency.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom