Saints Kris Richard - Richard will new the Saints secondary coach w/10 yrs in the NFL. Any thought's on our new DB coach? Scheme, Zone, Man..? (1 Viewer)

You really can't be prepared for that level of ish.

Ill say this though, as someone who has successfully managed businesses, I'd be surprised if every team didn't go over every contingency.
Not for nothingBBB; That avatar/sig/pic/image appears to be a heart-attack waiting to happen! Is THAT your successful business model? It may explain a few "things".
Anywhooo. I'm thinking, "Change Is a Good Thang!". A Vet Coach, in a new set of B & G SAINTS togs will help elevate his game ,especially when he HEARS our Dome post SARS-CoV2~! That Dome will be so loud when SAINTS on "D", it'll force the silent count, eliminate too many "late shifts" from hostile Offenses and just add to Our "D"s bedlam, pre-snap! This season will most assuredly ENERGIZE Our Home TEAM in a way they have missed and some aren't even aware of!

JMHO: I have a "feeling" this season will be more than entertaining, it will/has potential to be, electrifying! Stoked , am I for OUR 1ST real season game ! (Pre-season should be ALL THAT too given our QB shootout!)Still, NOTHING like opening Day in Da Dome! This TEAM should really respond!

I'm a bit worried, actually. The refs don't call Saints games the same as they do Seattle. If the Saints play as physical as Seattle did, the refs are going to get carpal tunnel syndrome from all the flags they are going to throw.
After that replay of the G.B.game in Our Dome w/ no fans? There were at least 4 super obvious blown calls, ALL against SAINTS! What a s$@tshow even last year was for US & refs! There's "something" afoot. I simply don't know WHY or HOW but ever since '09? Seems The SAINTS can't catch a break or more as our opponents seem to do, while we get precious calls to go Our way! Shame.....D't know HOW we even get our guys to ball-hawk % create fumbles down the field with hard, shoulder shots on the ball to tipping it away and to our own guys.
Say what you will regarding, jail-bird, Darren Sharper; that dude could BALL OUT! Trust someone may have that sort of year! What? Too soon or just too much to wish for? GEAUX SAINTS!

I have a feeling we're going to see that Aaron Glenn was overrated. The Saints fed Aaron Glenn a steady diet of premier talent only for an underwhelming and inconsistent secondary. Defensive backs regressed the longer they are here. However if Kris Richard flops then the Saints have bigger problems than who is coaching the DBs.

While the defensive line and linebackers both play roles to pass defense, the secondary carries the weight of that burden. Here is how the Saints defense has finished in passing yards allowed with Glenn:
2016 - 32nd
2017 - 15th
2018 - 29th
2019 - 20th
2020 - 5th

Ryan Nielsen arrived in 2017 and has finished 10th, 8th, 5th, and 6th in pressure rate so it wasn't like QB's had lots of time to scan the field and throw.
Great defense starts up front anyway. Rush the passer and force bad throws. Remember the Dome Patrol? It started with pressure up front.

Great defense starts up front anyway. Rush the passer and force bad throws. Remember the Dome Patrol? It started with pressure up front.

Indeed it does, which is why it concerns me how inconsistent the Saints pass defense is when statistically the Saints have been thriving in the trenches.

Indeed it does, which is why it concerns me how inconsistent the Saints pass defense is when statistically the Saints have been thriving in the trenches.
The Dome Patrol-era secondary was inconsistent bordering on terrible whenever an opposing QB finally got time to throw. They made Jim Everett (when he was a Ram) look like a HOF'er one night in 1989.

Things besides just the secondary's stats kept us from a second ring in the Brees era. Whole new era begins in a few months. Hoping beyond hope that Winston makes most of the opportunity.

I met up with my brother (lives in Hurst) for that Dallas/Saints game out in Arlington a few years back.

Going into that game Brees and that offense was clicking (we were on a 9 in a row win streak) on all 8. I was really amazed the way Dallas & their secondary played. Thomas was bottled up, Tre had a hard time getting open & Kirkwood was only able to manage a circus catch in the endzone.

Guess what I'm saying is that Kris Richard really had a good game plan against a very good Brees led pass attack. I think he'll do just fine here with our secondary.

The Dome Patrol-era secondary was inconsistent bordering on terrible whenever an opposing QB finally got time to throw. They made Jim Everett (when he was a Ram) look like a HOF'er one night in 1989.

Things besides just the secondary's stats kept us from a second ring in the Brees era. Whole new era begins in a few months. Hoping beyond hope that Winston makes most of the opportunity.

There is a glaring difference to me though is the Dome Patrol didn't have the talent in the secondary this defense has. The Dome Patrol was a top heavy defense, the current Saints defense as a whole is deeper across the board.

What good is a pass rush when the DBs are 10 yards off the receivers on 3rd and 1? That's a first down almost every time. I almost hate 3rd and short or 3rd and long for the Saints defense. That's seems to be almost an automatic first down waiting to happen.

I have a feeling we're going to see that Aaron Glenn was overrated. The Saints fed Aaron Glenn a steady diet of premier talent only for an underwhelming and inconsistent secondary. Defensive backs regressed the longer they are here. However if Kris Richard flops then the Saints have bigger problems than who is coaching the DBs.

While the defensive line and linebackers both play roles to pass defense, the secondary carries the weight of that burden. Here is how the Saints defense has finished in passing yards allowed with Glenn:
2016 - 32nd
2017 - 15th
2018 - 29th
2019 - 20th
2020 - 5th

Ryan Nielsen arrived in 2017 and has finished 10th, 8th, 5th, and 6th in pressure rate so it wasn't like QB's had lots of time to scan the field and throw.
This a 100000000000% this!!!! You are over the target BreesusSaves. Aaron Glenn was way overrated. I lost faith in Glenn that yr he started De'Vante Harris to open the season. I felt he started Harris because Allen, and Glenn went to Tx A&M. Harris got burt so bad those first few games, he was giving me Jason David flashbacks.

No doubt Richard is an accomplished DB coach. However, all AG did was take Delvin Breaux, Sterling Moore & Ken Crawley and turn them into starters. He also took Lattimore and helped him to defensive rookie of the Year, took on Apple and Jackrabbit and coach them back into starters. And all those results put hin in position to get promoted to defensive coordinator.
I look forward to seeing Richard keep the very high standards for DB play that Glenn set while here.
Really?? Delvin was a product when he got here, and Moore was an aging vet as I recall. Crawley really only started for us because of DeVonte Harris's complete melt down in the first few games of the season. Gleen really had little to do with Latt's DROTY, because that was his best yr. Jackrabbit was a elite product when he got here.......coached back?, and Apple never started for anyone after he left. That I know of. I'm sure Arron Glenn was a great locker room guy, but he is so underwhelming as the db coach at the Saints. Glenn offered little player development, and was rewarded with more high draft talent then any other coach.

The Legion of Boom also thrived under different rules for defensive players especially defensive backs. Let's be honest, they were as handsy as overzealous prom dates. As we saw with the Browner dumpster fire, that doesn't fly in today's NFL.
That style of zone D with biger DB's still work. Not Being allowed be handsy, wasn't the reason that defense stopped working for the hawks. They got old and lost key players and some coaches.

No doubt Richard is an accomplished DB coach. However, all AG did was take Delvin Breaux, Sterling Moore & Ken Crawley and turn them into starters. He also took Lattimore and helped him to defensive rookie of the Year, took on Apple and Jackrabbit and coach them back into starters. And all those results put hin in position to get promoted to defensive coordinator.
I look forward to seeing Richard keep the very high standards for DB play that Glenn set while here.
:potd:

You certainly put all the facts in the right perspective! 🤔

:gosaints:

Really?? Delvin was a product when he got here, and Moore was an aging vet as I recall. Crawley really only started for us because of DeVonte Harris's complete melt down in the first few games of the season. Gleen really had little to do with Latt's DROTY, because that was his best yr. Jackrabbit was a elite product when he got here.......coached back?, and Apple never started for anyone after he left. That I know of. I'm sure Arron Glenn was a great locker room guy, but he is so underwhelming as the db coach at the Saints. Glenn offered little player development, and was rewarded with more high draft talent then any other coach.
Yeah I didn't want to be the first one to say it but I never understood the Glenn hype. Our pass defense has been so suspect and inconsistent. Of course that's not all on him but still, you look at the talent in the Secondary and I've just expected more.

I look at what Ryan Nielson has been able to do with the D line. He's been able to get the most out of his unit. Losing him would be a blow. Our LBers were a mess until Mike Nolan was hired. He comes in and all of sudden were getting solid LB play. Losing him was a blow. I have a hard time believing the Secondary will get worse under Richard. No way they can be even more inconsistent. Surely. Right?

Also it has to be good thing to bring a former DC to be a position coach. Maybe Richard can bring in some new ideas. Or maybe I'm just an optimistic simpleton.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom