Kromer vs Carmichael Jr. (1 Viewer)

Jortizcardona

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Not one to question the FO, but why would they let Kromer go and keep PC? (I think i just did)With SP back, the offensive playcalling can/should/will be his, and we just lost a great OL coach and run game coordinator in Kromer...Why would they not consider letting PC go, promote AK to OC (basically keep his OL coach job with a new title since SP is the playcaller), and build on getting back to that 2009 rushing attack? Does PC contributes to the ground attack as much as AK? dont think so.
I for one think that the running game will suffer a lot from AK departure. We all saw how the running game improved after JV became interim and AK went back to coaching running game.

They didn't let Kromer go. He was no longer under contract. He could go where he wanted to. As for Carmichael, maybe he wanted to stay. Obviously Kromer did not.

Aaron Kromer isn't the end of all offensive line coaches.

People like to forget, we had another offensive line coach before Kromer. Doug Marrone was actually the guy who developed Jahri Evans, coached Jermon Bushrod and Carl Nicks prior to 2009, oversaw the top 15 rushing attack of 2006, developed Jonathon Goodwin, etc.

There are other offensive lie coaches out there. And Doug Marrone was arguably better then Kromer anyways, at least more linemen were drafted and developed under Marrone. Maybe circumstance but the argument can be made.

Sean Payton has a track record of success in hiring offensive coaches. He isn't infallible, but if you're going to give him the benefit of the doubt anywhere, it's here.

Last edited:
Carmichael works heavily with the QB's and Drew in particular. When the D is on the field, Sean Payton obviously has to keep his attention on that, but more often than not Carmichael is sitting with Drew going over things.

Carmichael was also with Drew in San Diego...

Kromer probably wouldn't fit that role as well as Carmichael.

So, to answer your question, Drew Brees is the answer....

JMO but Kromer is a good coach, but was still a position coach. Position coaches are usually just teaching the philosophy and implementing the processes of the OC. What makes them stand out is their suggestions, organization, and buy-in from the players.

I do think at some point Payton or Loomis asked Carmichael to stay. JMO but I think Payton wants to learn and spend much more time on the defensive side of the ball. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he wants to be the head coach/DC, but I do think he wants to be much much more involved in the defense.

Not one to question the FO, but why would they let Kromer go and keep PC? (I think i just did)With SP back, the offensive playcalling can/should/will be his, and we just lost a great OL coach and run game coordinator in Kromer...Why would they not consider letting PC go, promote AK to OC (basically keep his OL coach job with a new title since SP is the playcaller), and build on getting back to that 2009 rushing attack? Does PC contributes to the ground attack as much as AK? dont think so.
I for one think that the running game will suffer a lot from AK departure. We all saw how the running game improved after JV became interim and AK went back to coaching running game.

It's been a real long painful year. You are just over-thinking it now.

It's not like they fired Kromer. He was no longer under contract and took an OC job in Chicago rather than re-up as an o-line coach in New Orleans. And why would they get rid of Carmichael when he's been much more heavily involved in offensive game planning than Kromer. Carmichael has been the play caller ever since Payton got injured in Tampa.

Payton understands the importance of running the football, and I think you'll see more of that this year as he tries to take some pressure off Brees. Brees is at his worst whenever he's trying to be Superman.

they did not let him go!!! other people decided they wanted him. kromer not pc. he has been on the hc list for years.

Kromer's contract was up and Chicago was his chance to move up the coaching ladder. Next stop after coordinator is HC if he's lucky. In order to keep him, the Saints would have to demote or fire Carmichael, and I don't think Carmichael did anything to deserve that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom